GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

14’ GS350 F Sport thrown rod

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-19 | 06:38 PM
615Kham
Driver School Candidate

Hello everyone I’m just now seeing all of this. Basically the dealership told me that the FIPG gaskets that come from the factory are grey and mine are black and there were two spark plug “tubes” upside down and paint marks missing on the bolts to the head and timing chain cover. Even though none of this directly caused the vehicle to malfunction they’re not gonna cover it. Called corporate yesterday and explained to them what was going on and that I’ve has the vehicle for less than 5 months and put 5k miles on it and this happened and the whole reason why I purchased it was due to all the service records it had. It was in a Lexus dealership it’s whole life for all of the service Intervals. They then said they’re voiding it because apparently the lady handling my case said I changed my owned oil when it’s clear as day if they actually looked on the car fax a dealer reported it having a oil change at a GM dealer that I purchased it from then they continued to go on saying that it’s not a Lexus dealer and it’s denied lol. None of this is making sense. If it needed work it would have been brought in to a Lexus dealer in the past because it has warranty now so it did then. They confirmed it is the original engine though. So I explained to them that it has not ever been touched by anyone out of a dealer and they said the case is still open so maybe even though they denied it they may come up with a “resolution” whatever that means to them. So anyways It looks like I’m going to have to attorney up. But who knows where to get a remanufactured engine for it?
Old 06-06-19 | 06:45 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

If you bought it from a GM dealer that changed the oil then it has been serviced somewhere other than Lexus. I wouldn't be surprised if they use that as the basis for not covering it. Doesn't matter if it was a dealer or private mechanic; if it wasn't Lexus they won't like that. They might offer you some money towards a repair but I wouldn't expect them to fully cover an engine rebuild.

Think about this. If they make an exception for you on this type of case, what is stopping anyone in the future from deciding they want some parts replaced at 55k miles and sabotaging it to mask the issues and trying to claim a major warranty repair? They have no idea you didn't do it and they probably see a ton of bogus claims. If you make enough polite noise and have enough evidence AND they see you as a potential future customer then they might make some attempt at some kind of resolution, otherwise you are up the creek and I don't think a lawyer will take this case for based on the evidence and service records that indicate service outside of Lexus.

Last edited by np20412; 06-06-19 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-06-19 | 07:05 PM
Stewart350
Pit Crew

My lexus has only been serviced at lexus dealerships. So based on part of his experience ,if I even get a simple oil change at an independent or do it myself they will void my warranty? I have two more years of warranty and would not like any issues. I was planning on letting the Toyota dealership do my oil changes since they are closer but i might just drive the extra miles to the lexus dealer....
Old 06-06-19 | 07:07 PM
615Kham
Driver School Candidate

Actually I’m sure a lawyer would. Oh and by the way I’m talking about going after the dealership that sold it to me. Due to the fact they were able to put a lifetime powertrain warranty (that’s not even in effect until the factory powertrain warranty is up) on it and a Bumper to bumper platinum wrap for the vehicle, if it has been “tampered” with. I purchased the vehicle in good faith.
Old 06-06-19 | 07:13 PM
Stewart350
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 615Kham
Actually I’m sure a lawyer would. Oh and by the way I’m talking about going after the dealership that sold it to me. Due to the fact they were able to put a lifetime powertrain warranty (that’s not even in effect until the factory powertrain warranty is up) on it and a Bumper to bumper platinum wrap for the vehicle, if it has been “tampered” with. I purchased the vehicle in good faith.
Where did you purchase the vehicle from? I know here in California we have the lemon law and it sounds like your car would qualify.
Old 06-06-19 | 07:37 PM
615Kham
Driver School Candidate

Bclexus You asked like 9 questions and if you read most of them answers are here. It’s all factory. I was merging onto the interstate. No noises, no indication of anything, and then poof. I don’t know all the exact mph, rpm, temps or anything. Not exactly my first priority when I’m merging onto the Interstate trying to get with the flow of traffic but I’d say maybe 65 mph before it gave out.
Old 06-06-19 | 07:45 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

I see. I thought you were talking about using a lawyer to get Lexus to cover it under warranty. Going after dealer that sold it makes more sense.
Old 06-06-19 | 07:46 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Hello everyone I’m just now seeing all of this. Basically the dealership told me that the FIPG gaskets that come from the factory are grey and mine are black and there were two spark plug “tubes” upside down and paint marks missing on the bolts to the head and timing chain cover. Even though none of this directly caused the vehicle to malfunction they’re not gonna cover it. Called corporate yesterday and explained to them what was going on and that I’ve has the vehicle for less than 5 months and put 5k miles on it and this happened and the whole reason why I purchased it was due to all the service records it had. It was in a Lexus dealership it’s whole life for all of the service Intervals. They then said they’re voiding it because apparently the lady handling my case said I changed my owned oil when it’s clear as day if they actually looked on the car fax a dealer reported it having a oil change at a GM dealer that I purchased it from then they continued to go on saying that it’s not a Lexus dealer and it’s denied lol. None of this is making sense. If it needed work it would have been brought in to a Lexus dealer in the past because it has warranty now so it did then. They confirmed it is the original engine though. So I explained to them that it has not ever been touched by anyone out of a dealer and they said the case is still open so maybe even though they denied it they may come up with a “resolution” whatever that means to them. So anyways It looks like I’m going to have to attorney up. But who knows where to get a remanufactured engine for it?
So, who has been tearing into your car's engine? Was it the GM dealer where you bought the car? It sure wasn't a Lexus dealer, right?

What do you expect Lexus to do when some unauthorized person or shop has been doing such work on an engine that they (Lexus) are responsible for warranting? If I was Lexus I wouldn't cover the engine either. It sounds like you better be talking with that GM dealership that sold you the car and explain to them that Lexus will not honor the engine warranty because someone (other than Lexus) has torn into the engine. I suspect the GM dealer you bought the car from knows who has done work on the engine, don't you?

Maybe, if you are lucky, that third-party warranty you bought from the GM dealership will help out...

Last edited by bclexus; 06-06-19 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-06-19 | 07:46 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stewart350
My lexus has only been serviced at lexus dealerships. So based on part of his experience ,if I even get a simple oil change at an independent or do it myself they will void my warranty? I have two more years of warranty and would not like any issues. I was planning on letting the Toyota dealership do my oil changes since they are closer but i might just drive the extra miles to the lexus dealer....
Combined with the evidence they see indicating tampering/incorrect maintenance, yes. On its own if there was no evidence of tampering, no. Warranty would still be in effect if there was no indication of foul play.
Old 06-06-19 | 07:57 PM
signdetres
Racer

Originally Posted by Stewart350
Where did you purchase the vehicle from? I know here in California we have the lemon law and it sounds like your car would qualify.
This would not qualify under CA Lemon Law in any way. All the criteria that needs to be met to be considered a lemon has to be met within the first 18 months of delivery or 18,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Old 06-06-19 | 08:30 PM
richard203
Racer

op say the pervious owner let the car to be a experiment toy in a school letting kids wrench on the car, who know what they did so clearly lexus is right that some1 have been doing some stuff to it. lexus is right orginal fipg is grey and oem fipg is black so some stuff got resealed before.
Old 06-06-19 | 08:36 PM
615Kham
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
So, who has been tearing into your car's engine? Was it the GM dealer where you bought the car? It sure wasn't a Lexus dealer, right?

What do you expect Lexus to do when some unauthorized person or shop has been doing such work on an engine that they (Lexus) is responsible for warranting? If I was Lexus I wouldn't cover the engine either. It sounds like you better be talking with that GM dealership that sold you the car and explain to them that Lexus will not honor the engine warranty because someone (other than Lexus) has torn into the engine.

Maybe, if you are lucky, that third-party warranty you bought from the GM dealership will help out...
Yeah but the thing you’re not understanding is that it was not in my hands when such thing happened. I also know for a fact it was not the GM dealership because I actually work there. The vehicle was brought up from a different dealer. The only thing that makes sense to me is that vehicle had been in a accident or something and they took it to Joe Blow’s body shop privately and had a private shop do work to it so the factory warranty is not voided and to keep the car fax clean and then trade it off.
Old 06-06-19 | 08:39 PM
richard203
Racer

whats the vin on the car?
Old 06-06-19 | 09:12 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

The car was an experiment school toy?? I wouldn't touch it even if they give it to me for free! Ur just buying problems here.
Old 06-06-19 | 10:31 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by er34
Previous owner loaned the car temporarily to the local high school for shop classes.

Wrench and doritos found under valve cover and bottom of oil pan.
Originally Posted by richard203
op say the pervious owner let the car to be a experiment toy in a school letting kids wrench on the car, who know what they did so clearly lexus is right that some1 have been doing some stuff to it. lexus is right orginal fipg is grey and oem fipg is black so some stuff got resealed before.
Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
The car was an experiment school toy?? I wouldn't touch it even if they give it to me for free! Ur just buying problems here.
Geez! No, the OP did not say that the previous owner let the car be an experiment toy in a school letting kids wrench on the car. er34 came up with that comment, not the OP...

Last edited by bclexus; 06-06-19 at 10:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 14’ GS350 F Sport thrown rod