GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

14’ GS350 F Sport thrown rod

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-19, 10:38 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by 615Kham
Yeah but the thing you’re not understanding is that it was not in my hands when such thing happened. I also know for a fact it was not the GM dealership because I actually work there. The vehicle was brought up from a different dealer. The only thing that makes sense to me is that vehicle had been in a accident or something and they took it to Joe Blow’s body shop privately and had a private shop do work to it so the factory warranty is not voided and to keep the car fax clean and then trade it off.
You are employed at the GM dealership that sold you the car that they got from some other dealer! Wow!

I believe you when you say that whatever engine work was done to your car's engine was done prior to you buying the car from the GM dealer where you are employed. Your issue is with the GM dealership that sold you the car...and where you are employed, not with Lexus. The GM dealer, where you are employed, sold you a car that was worked on by someone previous to you purchasing the car - that engine work Lexus believes was the ultimate cause for the engine to fail.

What makes you think the car was in an accident and needed body work? I thought it was just the engine (with a thrown piston rod) that was the issue with the car.

Why would a GM dealer buy a Lexus vehicle from some other dealer to put on their used car lot for sale? I'll give you time for a couple of guesses...

Last edited by bclexus; 06-07-19 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-06-19, 10:59 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Geez! No, the OP did not say that the previous owner let the car be an experiment toy in a school letting kids wrench on the car. er34 came up with that comment, not the OP...
I needa get some doritos cuz I'm trippin'!
Old 06-07-19, 02:26 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Changing your own oil, or having an independent change it, does not void a car warranty. At worst, Lexus could ask you to demonstrate how you changed the oil yourself, or ask for receipts. Anytime, anywhere...
Old 06-07-19, 07:02 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the whole story sounds a bit fishy. I don't think we are getting all the facts.
Old 06-07-19, 12:31 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

615Kham

It sounds like you are having a two-sided problem understanding (accepting) why Lexus is refusing to honor the warranty on your engine. You are actually caught in the middle of a difficult situation.

On one side of this issue (and totally unknown to you) the car that a GM dealer sold you had extensive engine work performed on it, to the degree or extent that Lexus believes the engine can no longer be warranted by them...and was likely (at least) the reason the engine failed. You cannot blame Lexus for not wanting to take ownership of continuing to warrant an engine that some unknown non-Lexus mechanic has clearly delved deeply into the engine for some totally unknown reason to begin with.

On the other side of this issue is making the GM dealer (where you are employed) to take ownership of this engine failure problem, either with or without, the third-party warranty coverage you say your car is provided with through the GM dealer that sold you the car. As I understand it, this third-party warranty (through the GM dealer) only begins after the original manufacturer's (Lexus) warranty expires...but Lexus has revoked its warranty on the engine due to extensive and inferior work having been performed at some time prior to engine failure.

I believe your battle should clearly be with the GM dealer if Lexus continues to maintain its firm stand that warranty is denied on your car's engine. It was the GM dealer that sold you a vehicle that the original manufacturer (Lexus) has denied its engine warranty due to inferior engine work having been performed by a non-Lexus mechanic at some point in the past.

It's only reasonable that a manufacturer (in this case Lexus) should not be held responsible for inferior work performed by someone outside their jurisdiction. Accordingly, it was the GM dealer that either knew, or should have known, the history of this car that they purchased from another dealer and then sold to you. It was the GM dealer that chose to (according to you) purchase this vehicle from some other dealer and put it on their lot for sale. Should the GM dealer that sold you the car have known before they purchased it for re-sale themselves, that the original manufacturer (Lexus) would likely deny warranty on the engine if a catastrophic failure happened? The answer is: YES! It is a reasonable expectation that the GM dealer should have known about the extensive engine work, and if they overlooked this fact or the car's history (or intentionally did not care to learn about the car), that is a negligent gamble they decided to take. A gamble that should cost them (the GM dealer that sold you the car) whatever is necessary to repair or replace the engine.

Last edited by bclexus; 06-07-19 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-07-19, 02:06 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Unless someone is going to throw the towel and compromise, the outcome of this case is going to be very fact specific. Right now, you're basing a lot of of what you know based on what Lexus corporate, the Lexus dealer, and what the selling GM dealer is telling you. Obviously, each party is going to tell you their assessment of the situation that's beneficial for them. Unless I missed something in your prior posts, you have had not had your vehicle personally inspected by someone who has the proper expertise, who works for you. And no, I'm not talking about the typical trusted mechanic we all see but someone that's done a lot more work in looking at your specific engine, perhaps including or just short of a engine tear down to really see what's going on here.

In short, I don't think you have all of the details. It's easy to say that the selling dealer should have known about the engine problem. Yet, it's also easy for GM to say that you purchased the vehicle as-is. Then comes the Lexus dealership saying this and that..... but have their assessment been documented? Did they take photographs of the gasket or questionable spark plugs?

There's a lot of facts missing here. Unfortunately, it's going to be a situation where you're going to have to lawyer up and have him/her retain the appropriate experts to fight this case.
Old 06-07-19, 03:18 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 579 Posts

Actually I’m sure a lawyer would. Oh and by the way I’m talking about going after the dealership that sold it to me. Due to the fact they were able to put a lifetime powertrain warranty (that’s not even in effect until the factory powertrain warranty is up) on it and a Bumper to bumper platinum wrap for the vehicle, if it has been “tampered” with. I purchased the vehicle in good faith.
OK, let's be clear here... did the dealer actually make the warranty themselves (doubtful), or was a third party extended warranty included with the purchase, or was purchased along with the car? In either case, you've got to read the entire contract to determine if the GS is eligible for coverage. Why don't you scan and post a clear legible copy of the warranty contract? I'll be happy to chime in...
Old 06-08-19, 07:00 AM
615Kham
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bclexus
You are employed at the GM dealership that sold you the car that they got from some other dealer! Wow!

I believe you when you say that whatever engine work was done to your car's engine was done prior to you buying the car from the GM dealer where you are employed. Your issue is with the GM dealership that sold you the car...and where you are employed, not with Lexus. The GM dealer, where you are employed, sold you a car that was worked on by someone previous to you purchasing the car - that engine work Lexus believes was the ultimate cause for the engine to fail.

What makes you think the car was in an accident and needed body work? I thought it was just the engine (with a thrown piston rod) that was the issue with the car.

Why would a GM dealer buy a Lexus vehicle from some other dealer to put on their used car lot for sale? I'll give you time for a couple of guesses...
Because I actually picked it out from a another one of our 130 stores lmfao why else would the motor have been torn into under warranty? Lol
Old 06-08-19, 07:02 AM
615Kham
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chinee
OK, let's be clear here... did the dealer actually make the warranty themselves (doubtful), or was a third party extended warranty included with the purchase, or was purchased along with the car? In either case, you've got to read the entire contract to determine if the GS is eligible for coverage. Why don't you scan and post a clear legible copy of the warranty contract? I'll be happy to chime in...
They said that the lifetime powertrain warranty isn’t in effect until my factory powertrain warranty is expired.
Old 06-08-19, 07:04 AM
615Kham
Driver School Candidate

I’m thinking the same thing as most of you guys are, There’s more to the story than is being told because These “facts” the dealership are pointing out just don’t add up.
Old 06-08-19, 08:24 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 579 Posts

They said that the lifetime powertrain warranty isn’t in effect until my factory powertrain warranty is expired.
Listen.. I think you need to adult-up... doesn’t matter what people say... what matters is the contract you entered into. Post some facts, not what you were told, otherwise keep listening to others and don’t post here.

At CL you will find a community that’s willing to help, but you need to be straight with the facts and use all the tools you’re given, including your eyes and brain, and not just your ears. What contract did you enter into? How do you positively KNOW the restrictions on the warranty unless you’ve reviewed it yourself? Do you trust your dealer to be as trustworthy as God, because we’ll all tell you, by and large, dealerships’ salespeople are likely heading to a much warmer climate when they leave this plane of existence.

At the very minimum, if you purchased a warranty that’s useless, the least you can do is request a refund. If Lexus denied your coverage now, there’s very little chance that your warranty will ever offer any coverage in the future. But don’t take my word for it... read your contract.

At this point we may only be able to help you mitigate your costs, you’ve got an uphill battle getting anyone to cover the repairs... unless of course, your dealer sits at the right hand of the Big Guy...

... or maybe as an employee you will luck out and get some goodwill from your employer, but not likely since you’re talking about lawyering up.

Sorry to be so harsh but we live in a “consumer-be-aware” society, especially today. Good luck, I hope it turns out better for you than my pessimism anticipates.
The following users liked this post:
maclem8223 (06-10-19)
Old 06-08-19, 11:46 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

Just buy a new engine and be done with it. Shouldn't be much more than $10,000.
Old 06-09-19, 02:43 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Just find a totaled 2007 - 2010 3GS on a junkyard. The engine is the same and it should be around $3,000 - $5,000.

Last edited by SNiiP3R; 06-09-19 at 02:47 AM.
Old 06-09-19, 09:48 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

This is a perfect example of why you should be extremely careful when buying a vehicle from a dealership that is not the same brand as the vehicle you are buying...or when buying from an independent used car lot. Many times the vehicles they sell, that are not their dealership brand, come with shady backgrounds.

Quick Reply: 14’ GS350 F Sport thrown rod