GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 Lexus Gs 350 w/ Lux Pkg

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-19, 08:36 PM
dalegend70
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 Lexus Gs 350 w/ Lux Pkg

I am purchasing my first vehicle and I've narrowed it down to the 2013 Lexus GS 350.

I came across one today with the Lux pkg and Mark Levinson sound system @ 40k miles for $22.9k. $24.7 after taxes and fees. Grey interior
I've already test driven it and got a pre-purchase inspection done. Carfax: 2 owners, 13 service records, no accidents. It has also been L/Certified in the past as well as having Maps updated in 2017.
There didn't seem to be any room for negotiation.

However, there is another model of the same yr that has the Lux Pkg minus the Mark Levinson sound system @ 52k miles for $20.9k. The interior is Flaxen(which I prefer). I have yet to take it for a drive and it is also a 3hr drive away in another city.
Carfax: 1 owner, 3 service records,

I initially did not seek out the Lux Pkg or the Mark Levinson option, but I can appreciate what it brings to the table and how hard it is to come across this model with these options.

Which one would be the better buy?
My OTD budget is 23k. However, I am financially flexible to compensate for the $2k difference assuming the 1st option is preferred. For what it's worth, both vehicles are white.

Old 06-25-19, 09:02 PM
Zsikd
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Great finds!

I have a 13 GS 350 AWD with the luxury package and flaxen interior. The flaxen interior is what caught my attention and I love it. With the luxury package, there are few things which I love and one of the best options must be the AVS (active variable suspension).

I would recommend you go ahead and test drive the GS with ~50k on the dash. They might have a little room to negotiate as well. Regardless, you definitely want to make sure they are both well reputable dealers (if it’s a Lexus dealer, even better). Also, to see a full history of service records you can look up the vehicle on Lexus’s website be entering the VIN of both vehicles OR download the myCARFAX app on your phone.

Regardless, both options are good but you definitely want to drive the second option. Do some negotiating before hand to safe time and perhaps get at your ideal price.

Love the GS and Lexus brand. Keep us updated which one you roll with!
Old 06-26-19, 06:25 AM
dalegend70
7th Gear

The 1st option is from a Lexus dealer, while the 2nd option is from an Audi dealer.
Old 06-26-19, 06:30 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

If both seem to be in good condition per service records and inspection, and feel good when you drive them, I'd personally save $2k and go with the second option, especially since you like the interior color more. Unless the Mark Levinson is a deal breaker for you... I have the base sound system and it is adequate for me, and I am picky about audio (have nice hifi speaker system for music listening at home). I'm with you on that interior color selection, I think grey is actually my least favorite color option offered in this car.
Old 06-26-19, 06:55 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

You’ll likely get an even better deal from the non-Lexus dealer, so I’d investigate that first. To each his own on the Interior, so go with the one that speaks to you more. I have the 13 in blue mica and gray interior. I’ve never had more complements on the combination as I have with this car, but with most other colors, the interior wouldn’t be as sharp.

I dig the ML system. I usually drive alone, so I get to enjoy it at higher volumes, where it really excels. If you’re mostly driving with others, the non-ML is the way to go. It has more life at lower volumes. Just something to consider as well.
Old 06-26-19, 07:00 AM
dalegend70
7th Gear

If I need to have the 2nd one delivered 250 miles back home, is that something worth mentioning from the get go? And would the delivery be free?
Old 06-26-19, 07:11 AM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

The flaxen interior is incredible and would look great on a white car. Plus you can always upgrade the stereo if you need to.
Old 06-26-19, 07:55 AM
pvsmith
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If you like the interior better on the second one, the price is lower and the sound system isn't a deal breaker, I would go for the second one. I drove more than 450 miles away to test drive my Lexus and it was worth every mile.
Old 06-26-19, 08:09 AM
Zsikd
Driver

Since the second is from an Audi dealer and you like the interior a bit more on that one, you should call or email them. Tell them you’d be traveling 600 miles back and forth. They’ll usually work with you a bit. I don’t have the ML audio but the Lexus premium sound is still pretty good... and I’m very picky about my sound quality.
Old 06-26-19, 08:34 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Although I have a white on flaxen myself, in this case i'd go for the lower mileage, slightly more expensive option with the Grey interior. Even though the other car is cheaper, i'd consider the time and effort required to get everything settled with the other car. Also, i'm sure there are dealer fees so i'd factor that in with the 2nd car as well (time, gas to drive there, dealer fees).

I'd try to make a solid offer on the 1st car and tell them that you'd like be OTD for $24k and see what they say...

EDIT: The other factor i forgot to mention was that with a more local dealer, if there is any issue or problem (not saying there will be but things come up), its easier to get service or just drive and show up to the local dealership and get something rectified.

Last edited by AJLex19; 06-26-19 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-26-19, 11:58 AM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

another option is to see if whoever owns the audi dealership owns a local dealership close to you. Hendrick by me was willing to transfer the car at their cost just to get the car I wanted if possible. Was the lexus deal negotiated or that was pretty their sticker? Reason being, dealerships make more money on used cars since they know the condition and how much they lowballed someone else for it. always best to have an independent inspection done since there are plenty of dealerships that will try to hide some details(accidents/damage). Mark levinson i'd only get if you actually listen to anything, if you just need audio for background noise, stock is good overall anyways.
I think lease they charge $0.25 per mile so 12k. more miles for just 2k less without audio system is still a bit much I think.

I'd get the flaxen interior if thats the one you like better if you can get them to go down on price and traded to a local branch the dealership group owns.
Old 06-26-19, 04:04 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by dalegend70
I am purchasing my first vehicle and I've narrowed it down to the 2013 Lexus GS 350.

I came across one today with the Lux pkg and Mark Levinson sound system @ 40k miles for $22.9k. $24.7 after taxes and fees. Grey interior
I've already test driven it and got a pre-purchase inspection done. Carfax: 2 owners, 13 service records, no accidents. It has also been L/Certified in the past as well as having Maps updated in 2017.
There didn't seem to be any room for negotiation.

However, there is another model of the same yr that has the Lux Pkg minus the Mark Levinson sound system @ 52k miles for $20.9k. The interior is Flaxen(which I prefer). I have yet to take it for a drive and it is also a 3hr drive away in another city.
Carfax: 1 owner, 3 service records,

I initially did not seek out the Lux Pkg or the Mark Levinson option, but I can appreciate what it brings to the table and how hard it is to come across this model with these options.

Which one would be the better buy?
My OTD budget is 23k. However, I am financially flexible to compensate for the $2k difference assuming the 1st option is preferred. For what it's worth, both vehicles are white.
$24.7 out the door is not a great deal for a 2013 GS, they should try to work with you, I would offer 22.5K or 23K out the door and only go up $500 at most. Try to find other GS's in the area listing for lower prices, say they are offering them closer to your budget.

Call the place further from you since you like that GS more, ask them to go into detail of any issues with the car, scratches, dings, interior wear, have them take new pictures for you or video. It really sucks having to travel 3hrs just to look at a car you may not even buy and don't know too much about. See if anyone on CL lives near the dealership if they can take a look at it or anyone on any other sites you post on lives near it which is a big help, they can at least give you more info instead of the guy trying to sell it to you. Before you go talk price, see what they will do, or you can get them down to and make it seem like you are not going to take the trip if the price ends up being to much, negotiate the out the door price, not what it is listed. Hopefully they won't pull any shady tricks when you are ready to buy but always be prepared to walk, have some cars you researched with prices so you can tell them you have other options/better deals offered. Also get it inspected by a Toyota/Lexus dealership, make a appointment the day you plan to look at the car and make sure the dealership will let you have it inspected.

ML is not really that impressive in the GS, I heard both and did not notice much difference, I actually thought the base audio sounded a little better over the radio then the ML. It should not be a deal breaker in this car.
Old 06-27-19, 01:10 AM
dalegend70
7th Gear

Update: After obtaining an OTD price of $22.6k+$500 Delivery for the 2nd choice, I was able to get my 1st choice down to $24.2k. With only a difference of $1,100, I felt confident going with the first choice given the extra options, lower mileage and no inconvenience of traveling. I can't say for sure whether I got the greatest deal in the world but I am happy with the purchase. The entire process was a learning experience for me. Thanks for the advice guys!
The following users liked this post:
NickMayer (06-27-19)
Old 06-27-19, 05:34 AM
Zsikd
Driver

Congratulations and welcome to the world of owning a Lexus! That is an okay deal in my honest opinion but at least you’re happy and more importantly, you’re saving time, which ultimately is money. Congrats again and enjoy the ride!
Old 06-27-19, 06:45 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Congratulations! As long as you're happy with the car and the deal, nothing else matters. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: 2013 Lexus Gs 350 w/ Lux Pkg