Quick Question on 60K Service

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-19, 09:05 PM
dmullen137
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Quick Question on 60K Service

Alright Clublexus-ers,

I'm taking the 2015 4GS with 59k into the dealer for the scheduled 60K. They're doing the plugs, brake fluid exchange, oil and filter change, tire rotation, engine and cabin air filters, key fob battery swap, and of course the visual inspections...

I baby my car and drive it mellow 99% of the time. I punch it getting on the freeway once or twice a month and run Chevron or Shell 91 in every tank.

My question is this: should I pay for a transmission fluid or a rear differential fluid flush? I was quoted $130 for the rear end fluid drain and fill and didn't get a quote for the transmission. Is that a waste of $$ at 60k? I plan on keeping the car for as long as it's financially feasible to do so!

I appreciate everybody's insight and perspective - happy early Friday!!

Last edited by dmullen137; 06-27-19 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Headline Typo
The following users liked this post:
ItzFilyO (06-28-19)
Old 06-27-19, 10:41 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,174 Likes on 865 Posts

Definitely read through this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...k-service.html

Lots of varying opinions on 60k maintenance related items for the GS. Spark plugs and brake fluid aren't necessarily recommended to be changed but they are typically included in the 60k service at dealerships I changed the rear differential fluid at 48k miles. I didn't notice any perceivable difference after changing. My personal mechanic said "it can't hurt." I personally wouldn't worry about transmission fluid at 60k miles -its a bit early for such a change.
Old 06-27-19, 11:32 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by dmullen137
Alright Clublexus-ers,

I'm taking the 2015 4GS with 59k into the dealer for the scheduled 60K. They're doing the plugs, brake fluid exchange, oil and filter change, tire rotation, engine and cabin air filters, key fob battery swap, and of course the visual inspections...

I baby my car and drive it mellow 99% of the time. I punch it getting on the freeway once or twice a month and run Chevron or Shell 91 in every tank.

My question is this: should I pay for a transmission fluid or a rear differential fluid flush? I was quoted $130 for the rear end fluid drain and fill and didn't get a quote for the transmission. Is that a waste of $$ at 60k? I plan on keeping the car for as long as it's financially feasible to do so!

I appreciate everybody's insight and perspective - happy early Friday!!
Plugs and Brake Fluid change is a total waste of money at 60K miles.

DO NOT GET A TRANSMISSION FLUSH, it can cause more problems then it solves. I have never heard of a differential fluid flush, just draining and adding the fluid but I would not do a flush for the differential either if they are offering one. Doing a transmission drain and fill is a waste of money at 60K miles, same with changing the differential fluid as these a pretty basic AWD systems. If you want to do a transmission drain and fill I would wait until about 75 or 80K miles, plugs can go past 100K miles with no issues.
Old 06-28-19, 04:00 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,166 Likes on 753 Posts

Not sure about the GS because we have an ES and RX. For those I will go in an ask for a tire rotation, oil change and brake fluid change. That is it. I will change the cabin and air filter my self bought on line and takes five minutes for both. This should cost about $240 and the filters around $40. My guess is the 60,000 service will cost you around $600 with the difference them inspecting things that do not need inspecting IMO. This a la carte style has worked for me for over a million miles for our vehicles.

Regarding changing the transmission fluid, the manual says it never needs to be changed. My local Lexus Service manager who has 25 years experience working on Lexus vehicles and has been trained by Lexus said it never needs to be changed. he said it actually can cause more harm then good. He went to Detroit where the transmissions are made for training and asked what is the #1 cause of Lexus transmission failing. Their reply was the wrong level of fluid and the wrong fluid. Both of these are factors in one changing the fluid. I will save my money and never change the fluid and listen to the experts. Never changed the transmission fluid and never had one problem.
Im2bz2p345 (06-28-19)
Old 06-28-19, 05:33 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 557 Likes on 376 Posts

The 60K service is expensive; like $900 or more.
Trans and diff are not included.
The differential service is very simple; spill and fill; less than 2 quarts of fluid. I will do my own.
The transmission service is more involved, but is not a big deal. Again, I plan on servicing my car.
I do not believe in lifetime fluids. Period.

Is plug replacement necessary? Probably not. My guess is Lexus recommends it because this is their performance model.
Brake fluid service is the most overlooked service on cars, in my opinion. It will help keep seals soft and fluid water free.
I regularly service brake fluid in all my cars.
Old 06-28-19, 07:55 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,051 Likes on 665 Posts

Just get a regular oil change and change ur cabin and engine air filter if they haven't been replaced. Save the rest of ur money for future brakes and tires replacement.

Replace cabin filter every 10-15K miles and engine air filter every 30-40K miles, both depending on ur driving environment. I have a DIY on these.
Old 06-28-19, 09:35 AM
dphu626
Pole Position

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Don't do it! It's going to cost $1000+ and you're not going to feel anything different. It's a waste of money. I spent $1300 on mine cuz I was in a rush and signed whatever paperwork they gave me. Biggest waste ever. Go in for a standard service. You don't need everything else.
drgrant (06-28-19)
Old 06-28-19, 12:37 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 557 Likes on 376 Posts

Perhaps do it yourself? This service is not complicated.
I find doing my own services is rewarding.
Again, it ain't that hard.

Good luck.
Old 06-28-19, 01:49 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
The 60K service is expensive; like $900 or more.
Trans and diff are not included.
The differential service is very simple; spill and fill; less than 2 quarts of fluid. I will do my own.
The transmission service is more involved, but is not a big deal. Again, I plan on servicing my car.
I do not believe in lifetime fluids. Period.

Is plug replacement necessary? Probably not. My guess is Lexus recommends it because this is their performance model.
Brake fluid service is the most overlooked service on cars, in my opinion. It will help keep seals soft and fluid water free.
I regularly service brake fluid in all my cars.
do they bleed the brakes or just take replace whats in the reservoir? either way, I'd just replace myself since all you need is turkey baster to remove and just refill. for people doing their transmission/diff fluid, do you guys all have lifts or just working under 4 stands?
Old 06-28-19, 02:17 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by baconRx
do they bleed the brakes or just take replace whats in the reservoir? either way, I'd just replace myself since all you need is turkey baster to remove and just refill. for people doing their transmission/diff fluid, do you guys all have lifts or just working under 4 stands?
RC Nitro Fuel Bottle

ItzFilyO (06-28-19)
Old 06-28-19, 02:19 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,051 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
RC Nitro Fuel Bottle

Is that for Nitrous Oxide? I want like dis.

Old 06-28-19, 04:35 PM
dmullen137
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks so much for the responses, everybody. Yeah this is the 3rd of my 4 CPO free maintenance stealership visits. I would never pay for service at any dealership. Just figured I'd maybe do a diff drain and fill while I'm there but I don't think so now that I've read everything above

Thanks, everybody, and have a great weekend!