GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Tire Brand and Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-19, 09:42 AM
BB11
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Brand and Mileage

I will be needing new tires soon, using the Pirelli Cinturato P7+ All Season. Have about 31K now and will have about 35K by winter or sooner. The 70,000 mile warranty will be meaningless as the tires have to be practically bald in order for this to be honored, I was told I should change before winter by both Lexus as well as independent garage. I like the quietness of this tire and the comfort. Any suggestions appreciated, but would like to know what brands you are using and the mileage you have gotten out of your tires. Thanks
Old 06-29-19, 10:15 AM
Barkley45
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Im on my second set of Pirelli tires. I could have gone through the summer with the tires but i hit a pothole and damaged one of the tires. I was at about 4/32 on the tires so i worked out a deal with Mr. Tire since i purchased the first set from them. They honored the Pirelli warranty and i got a new set for $600...installed, with the road hazard warranty as well. I suggest you try working something out with the place where you purchased the first set.
Old 06-29-19, 11:24 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Originally Posted by BB11
I will be needing new tires soon, using the Pirelli Cinturato P7+ All Season. Have about 31K now and will have about 35K by winter or sooner. The 70,000 mile warranty will be meaningless as the tires have to be practically bald in order for this to be honored, I was told I should change before winter by both Lexus as well as independent garage. I like the quietness of this tire and the comfort. Any suggestions appreciated, but would like to know what brands you are using and the mileage you have gotten out of your tires. Thanks
Someone has terribly misinformed you about what it takes for the mileage warranty to be honored. I hope it wasn't your 'trusted' tire dealer that gave you that bad information.
Old 06-29-19, 12:11 PM
BB11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Barkley45
Im on my second set of Pirelli tires. I could have gone through the summer with the tires but i hit a pothole and damaged one of the tires. I was at about 4/32 on the tires so i worked out a deal with Mr. Tire since i purchased the first set from them. They honored the Pirelli warranty and i got a new set for $600...installed, with the road hazard warranty as well. I suggest you try working something out with the place where you purchased the first set.
Thanks, good idea. I got them on the GS when I bought it new. Dealer did the switch.
Old 06-29-19, 12:15 PM
BB11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bclexus
Someone has terribly misinformed you about what it takes for the mileage warranty to be honored. I hope it wasn't your 'trusted' tire dealer that gave you that bad information.

Can you tell me what I need to know? It was actually Pirelli that told me the criteria
Old 06-29-19, 01:11 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Can you tell me what I need to know? It was actually Pirelli that told me the criteria
I deal with Discount Tire for tires on all my vehicles. Numerous times, with various different brands of tires, it was clear early-on that I was not going to get the warranted mileage due to advanced tread wear. When the tires would get down to about 5/32" where it was apparent I would not get the rated mileage the Discount Tire representative would tell about it and would always suggest replacing them (either at that visit or the next rotation visit) with me receiving a credit for the mileage I failed to obtain. I have chosen to replace tires that failed to achieve the rated mileage with (a) the same brand and type, (b) with the same brand but of another type, and (c) with a different brand tire, all of which I received full credit for the mileage I failed to obtain. Each time I was never charged extra for the standard items that are included (Labor, Valve stems, TPMS kits, Mounting, Balancing), and on more than one occasion I was given the Road Hazard warranty at no additional charge because the previous set fell far short on the mileage they were rated at.

42 states (including Texas where I am and Massachusetts where you are) will not pass inspection with less than 2/32" of tread, however Discount Tire (as well as others) provide a chart that indicates when the tire's tread gets down to 5/32" that it is about time to replace them, and when it gets down to around 4/32" - 3/32" you definitely should replace them.

Therefore, if you have a set of tires in which it is clear you are not going to be able to receive the rated mileage Discount Tire will honor the mileage warranty and will replace the tires when they get down to ~4/32". (I've had Discount Tire suggest to me that I should replace a set with 5/32" tread remaining.) I don't know why you would think that you need to wear them down to a tread level where the tires are 'practically bald' and dangerous. Whoever told you that is misinforming you and not treating you fairly.

In my opinion you will not find a better tire store than Discount Tire. (If you don't have one near you, you are missing out.) Their integrity, policies, pricing and doing what is right for their customers is outstanding.

Last edited by bclexus; 06-30-19 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-29-19, 04:26 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 940 Likes on 576 Posts

Always find it in writing... listening to what people tell you often leads to misinformation. In this day and age, even employees know less than consumers... it's truly disappointing. I emphasized some of the more important criteria.

BTW... I too became a big fan of Discount Tire. I hope they keep up their high levels of service and advice.

Old 06-29-19, 05:01 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chinee
Always find it in writing... listening to what people tell you often leads to misinformation. In this day and age, even employees know less than consumers... it's truly disappointing. I emphasized some of the more important criteria.

BTW... I too became a big fan of Discount Tire. I hope they keep up their high levels of service and advice.
Because of Discount Tire's exquisite reputation, huge presence (with over 900 store locations in 30 states) and the large number of tires they sell, Discount Tire has the leeway to decide what is best for their customer even when it deviates from the tire brand's stated policy - such as; 'the tire must be worn down to the tread wear indicator (2/32" of tread depth) at which time they are considered to be 100% worn out'. In other words, if Discount Tire thinks it serves their customer to replace the tires sooner than 2/32" tread remaining, then that is exactly what they will do...and the tire maker will unquestionably agree with what Discount Tire has decided. This is just another reason why dealing with Discount Tire makes good sense - they will do whatever is required, within good reason, to appease their customers. Bubba's Tire shop down on the corner cannot do that...and wouldn't do that. It usually only takes one business transaction to become a loyal customer - and that is exactly what Discount Tire wants, because they will be loyal to you.

Have a flat tire? No problem - drop by Discount Tire and they'll repair it properly (off the wheel) and re-balance it at no charge. They'll remove the crud on the car's hub and the inside mating surface of your wheel, and hand torque your lug nuts in a 'star' pattern without you needing to ask. Do people remember that? Yes, they do! I suspect there are very few people that deal with Discount Tire that don't come back as repeat customers.
Old 06-30-19, 04:35 AM
BB11
Intermediate

Because of Discount Tire's exquisite reputation, huge presence (with over 900 store locations in 30 states) and the large number of tires they sell, Discount Tire has the leeway to decide what is best for their customer even when it deviates from the tire brand's stated policy - such as; 'the tire must be worn down to the tread wear indicator (2/32" of tread depth) at which time they are considered to be 100% worn out'. In other words, if Discount Tire thinks it serves their customer to replace the tires sooner than 2/32" tread remaining, then that is exactly what they will do...and the tire maker will unquestionably agree with what Discount Tire has decided. This is just another reason why dealing with Discount Tire makes good sense - they will do whatever is required, within good reason, to appease their customers. Bubba's Tire shop down on the corner cannot do that...and wouldn't do that. It usually only takes one business transaction to become a loyal customer - and that is exactly what Discount Tire wants, because they will be loyal to you.

Have a flat tire? No problem - drop by Discount Tire and they'll repair it properly (off the wheel) and re-balance it at no charge. They'll remove the crud on the car's hub and the inside mating surface of your wheel, and hand torque your lug nuts in a 'star' pattern without you needing to ask. Do people remember that? Yes, they do! I suspect there are very few people that deal with Discount Tire that don't come back as repeat customers.

Thank you.
Old 06-30-19, 06:36 AM
edoggie
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This topic came up recently. Search the threads in the last two weeks.

For all seasons,. Michelin Premier A/S. I've never had the opportunity to go over 30,000 due to vehicle trade ins. So I can't comment on longevity. But these are your top weapon against torrential rain.

For winter,. Nokian Hakkapelita. These are arguably the best winter tire
The following users liked this post:
BB11 (06-30-19)
Old 06-30-19, 09:40 AM
BB11
Intermediate

There are none near me so that makes it hard to consider using them, but I can ask the dealer to contact the distributor and see what they can do. I have emails out to Pirelli now.
Old 06-30-19, 09:53 AM
BB11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by edoggie
This topic came up recently. Search the threads in the last two weeks.

For all seasons,. Michelin Premier A/S. I've never had the opportunity to go over 30,000 due to vehicle trade ins. So I can't comment on longevity. But these are your top weapon against torrential rain.

For winter,. Nokian Hakkapelita. These are arguably the best winter tire
Lexus dealer told me that the Pirelli should give better mileage (even though it is not a tire they carry and the price they gave me was very fair, with RH warranty just a tad over TireRack). I like these as they are very quiet and noise in the cabin bothers me. I know the Michelin tire is supposed to also be quiet, Bridgestone tires I have found noisy on other cars.

Thanks
Old 07-01-19, 09:24 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

It's too bad you don't have a Discount Tire near you as I'll backup bclexus opinion.

I worked for them for several years in the nineties and it was a great company. They're privately owned and started out in Michigan. At some point they made their headquarters in Scottsdale and it's been there for at least 30 years. They paid well over the minimum wage for entry level tire grunts and got regular bumps if you worked hard and salesmen could easily make $50-70k while succesful managers well over $100k and everyone got profit sharing. They have many long-time employees and I still see guys there that worked there in the late nineties. I still shop there and get treated excellently even though they don't know me and don't know I used to work there.

One story on tire warranty replacement. I replaced some Michelin MXV4s with Yokohama tires on a Camry and from the get go they were squirrelly and weird when inflated where I often ran them at about 37 psi. I lowered the air down to 32 and they became much better but still not as good as the Michelin but I did drive on them over 7,000 miles and almost exactly 6 months. One day I noticed a bubble on the RF shoulder. I had a bumped into a corner of a curb several days previous going very slow. I found it odd that it could cause the bubble but it was the only thing that came to mind. I also had a slow leak in another tire and took it to Discount. I had them fix the leaky tire and showed them the bubble. I knew the tire with the bubble was shot going in there but thought I 'd just get the warranty replacement for that one. I also mentioned that I had never been happy with the performance of the Yokohamas. The next thing I knew the guy is telling me that he can warranty the whole set because I was within the 6 month window for a ride complaint/satisfaction warranty. I thought that was outstanding so I only had to pay for the tread used on the Yokohamas and went with a set of Michelins and barely paid anything, maybe only for the new warranties.

BTW, regarding their warranty, Discount Tire is the only place where I buy the additional warranty for things as they have paid for themselves many times over, over the past twenty years. I have replaced so many tires that were ruined due to road hazards and all you do is pay for warranty for the new tire and they give you a new one. I've had at least one car where I bought a new set of tires and went the whole life of the car with never buying another tire as I would periodically ruin a tire and then get a new one and so on, only paying about $20 per tire.
The following users liked this post:
BB11 (07-02-19)
Old 07-02-19, 06:04 AM
Zsikd
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I can attest to the beyond exceptional customer service from discount tire. I have the GS 350 AWD with the lux package and needed some new tires. I went with the Pirelli P7s but for whatever reason, I had a bad experience with them. My car started making all these odd noises while driving.

went back after a week or two to discount tire and swapped them out to the Michelin Primacy MXM4s, without a question they did so. No extra charge! In terms of longevity, I’m not certain how long the Michelin’s will last, but discount tire will always honor any warranties long as the tires are rotated every 5-7k.

The Michelin’s make my car feel like I’m gliding on butter. Love it
Old 07-02-19, 09:35 AM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

BTW, I forgot to mention that there is Discount Tire Direct which will ship tires and wheels to you but if you're wanting to replace tires on existing wheels then that's not what they're for as you'd have to ship your wheels to them and I'm not even sure they do that. They're mainly set up to deliver loose tires and wheels to you or mounted tires on brand new wheels.