GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Help please. Flat tire sound but no flat.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-19, 06:50 PM
NuwenKhanh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Help please. Flat tire sound but no flat.

I hit a curb a couple days ago and now my left side of the car sounds like it has a flat tire. It sounds like it is slapping the road, but all tires are filled to spec. I did took it to the mechanic after the hit.He lifted up and had someone inside pressing the gas pedal while checking for noises. No sound was being produce from the car, but he did noticed that my wheel was bent and it was wobbling. He told me to order a new one and so i did. Today, i went get the new wheel installed and road forced,but the sound is still there. My car is behaving normal, it is not being pulled toward any side. Turning at high speed does not produce any louder noise. Steering wheel has a little vibration. Any of ya possibly know what's going with my car?

When i hit the curb it really messed up the front and rear driver side wheels. I probably hit it at 35 to 40 mph.

Update 1:
I took the car out late last night for a short drive so i can hear the sound better and the sound is still the same coming from front driver side. From what i have been reading up around other car forums, i believe is the wheel bearing. When i veer slightly to the right the sound is more pronounced, and it is coming from the left side front. Anyhow, i will take it to another mechanic and have him look at it again on Monday. Just in case if it is the wheel bearing do you guys have any recommendation as of brand wise? I heard good thing about Koyo and Timken or should i stick with OEM?

Last edited by NuwenKhanh; 06-30-19 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-29-19, 07:03 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Anyone here can only make a wild guess what the problem is. Take it to the dealer's service department or a reputable independent shop.

Besides the bent wheel(s) you could have damaged any number of suspension parts or hub/axle, etc.
Old 06-29-19, 07:07 PM
NuwenKhanh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bclexus
Anyone here can only make a wild guess what the problem is. Take it to the dealer's service department or a reputable independent shop.

Besides the bent wheel(s) you could have damaged any number of suspension parts or hub/axle, etc.
Thats my plan for Monday, probably bring it to another shop to get second opinion.
Old 06-29-19, 09:29 PM
eddie420

Received 637 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by NuwenKhanh
I hit a curb a couple days ago and now my left side of the car sounds like it has a flat tire. Itr is sounds like it is slapping the road, but all tires are filled to spec. I did took it to the mechanic after the hit.He lifted up and had someone inside pressing the gas pedal while checking for noises. No sound was being produce from the car, but he did noticed that my wheel was bent and it was wobbling. He told me to order a new one and so i did. Today, i went get the new wheel installed and road forced,but the sound is still there. My car is behaving normal, it is not being pulled toward any side. Turning at high speed does not produce any louder noise. Steering wheel has a little vibration. Any of ya possibly know what's going with my car?

When i hit the curb it really messed up the front and rear driver side wheels. I probably hit it at 35 to 40 mph.
No idea. Check the fender liner. It might not be secured properly and is hitting the wheel while you are driving.
Old 06-30-19, 04:42 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
No idea. Check the fender liner. It might not be secured properly and is hitting the wheel while you are driving.
That's a good idea.
Originally Posted by NuwenKhanh
I hit a curb a couple days ago and now my left side of the car sounds like it has a flat tire. Itr is sounds like it is slapping the road, but all tires are filled to spec. I did took it to the mechanic after the hit.He lifted up and had someone inside pressing the gas pedal while checking for noises. No sound was being produce from the car, but he did noticed that my wheel was bent and it was wobbling. He told me to order a new one and so i did. Today, i went get the new wheel installed and road forced,but the sound is still there. My car is behaving normal, it is not being pulled toward any side. Turning at high speed does not produce any louder noise. Steering wheel has a little vibration. Any of ya possibly know what's going with my car?

And the mechanic couldn't determine the problem? ... unfortunately not much of a mechanic huh?
Old 06-30-19, 08:46 AM
Nahpun350
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fender liner would be my guess, but yeah take it in.
Old 06-30-19, 09:44 AM
JMC2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably wheel hub/bearing. Will make a rotational noise if damaged or worn
Old 06-30-19, 11:23 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 402 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by JMC2
Probably wheel hub/bearing. Will make a rotational noise if damaged or worn
From experience, if it is the wheel bearing, it will make more noise when it is the outside wheel in a turn and less or none when it is the inside wheel.
Old 06-30-19, 10:57 PM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If the mechanic had the car on a lift, the wheels would hang lower since the weight of the vehicle aren't on them. This would put more distance between the fender liner and the wheels.