GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Switch to F sport grill

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-19, 08:41 AM
Zsikd
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Switch to F sport grill

I have a luxury edition GS but want to change out the grills to the F sport grills. Has anyone done this and if so, what was your experience with it?

Plan to swap out the grills, black out the middle section of the bumper after I fix the holes from the front plate bracket and add a lip!

Here’s a link to the aftermarket F sport grill I found. If you guys have any experience; let me know!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F362490467358
Old 06-30-19, 09:01 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,172 Likes on 864 Posts

Lots of folks have done this to the non F Sport bumper. Read through this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...rt-grille.html

The biggest challenge you may have is with the tabs fitting with an aftermarket grille - not sure how good the quality and fitment will be. However, the OEM top grille is basically a swap. The key thing to note is that there are two screws holding the chrome surround in place at the bumpers mid-section. I didn't know they were there and ended up breaking it off a bit when I tried to yank the surround.

Once you get the chrome surround off, you'll be able to push the grille out (held on with tabs). Here is a pic highlighting the part of the chrome surround that will have little screws behind that you'll need to remove (some folks find removing the bumper makes it a much easier task, I didn't remove the bumper):

The following users liked this post:
NickMayer (07-02-19)
Old 07-02-19, 06:17 AM
Zsikd
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Lots of folks have done this to the non F Sport bumper. Read through this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...rt-grille.html

The biggest challenge you may have is with the tabs fitting with an aftermarket grille - not sure how good the quality and fitment will be. However, the OEM top grille is basically a swap. The key thing to note is that there are two screws holding the chrome surround in place at the bumpers mid-section. I didn't know they were there and ended up breaking it off a bit when I tried to yank the surround.

Once you get the chrome surround off, you'll be able to push the grille out (held on with tabs). Here is a pic highlighting the part of the chrome surround that will have little screws behind that you'll need to remove (some folks find removing the bumper makes it a much easier task, I didn't remove the bumper):

Thanks AJLex19 for always coming through and replying with detailed messages! I’ll be removing my bumper anyways since the collision shop is going to be fixing the license bracket holes left behind. It’ll make it almost pretty easy for them to install the grills since the bumper is off. Just hoping the aftermarket one is pretty compatible!

Are both of yours, upper and lower, OEM?
Old 07-02-19, 07:42 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Top grill is a direct fit, fits well and pretty easy to swap when you get it out, you don't have to take the bumper off, there are 2 pieces on the bottom inside sides of the frontal area you have to remove to get at the screws on the bottom of the top grill.

The bottom grill is not a exact fit, it tends to want to stay/sit back and may need to be straightened a little so there is a gap on the sides at the bottom, there can be a gap on the top too but you probably won't notice it unless you really look for it. You will notice there is a valley/canyon in the bottom area of the inside bumper where you can put spacers to push the lower grill outward at the bottom if you need to. Getting the bottom grill in and out is more of a pain as you have to pull out and up on the bumper gap and do the same to get it in.

Since you are taking the bumper off it is probably easier but I don't know what issues you might run into doing it that way.
Old 07-02-19, 08:37 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,172 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Zsikd
Thanks AJLex19 for always coming through and replying with detailed messages! I’ll be removing my bumper anyways since the collision shop is going to be fixing the license bracket holes left behind. It’ll make it almost pretty easy for them to install the grills since the bumper is off. Just hoping the aftermarket one is pretty compatible!

Are both of yours, upper and lower, OEM?
No prob - I went with an aftermarket grille by E&G since I got a good deal but it was a lot of work to get it to fit (although the instructions they provided were very thorough and I am pleased with the looks). If you're taking the bumper off, it will make it much easier to see all the retaining screws, clips and tabs so that will be very helpful.
The following users liked this post:
NickMayer (07-02-19)
Old 07-02-19, 01:24 PM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

I too am thinking of doing this. The top part at least, and maybe black out the middle piece.

Let us know how it goes for you, with pics!!
Old 08-26-19, 04:17 AM
Haldol
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One place stop shop solution solution to covert non-f to sport f front bumper/grill

I have been reading about these conversions for years. Is there anyone out there that can provide a quality conversion with quality parts for one price. I have a nebula gray car.

Originally Posted by AJLex19