GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

detached / missing speaker on ML audio??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-19, 08:10 AM
PlPete
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Majic24
I also have the Mark Levinson sound system I am very impressed with the sound quality. I would suggest keeping all speakers original, a lot of design and engineering went into the components to make the system what it is. You can contact M.L. via United Radio in N.Y. very helpful & professional people. The technician I spoke to is Joe very knowledgeable, he can guide you about using (or not) the original speakers etc. Amazing how clear the system sounds with just the right amount of accurate bass, imagine what yours will sound like when you get the speakers reinstalled.

Really sad people do stuff like this, I can understand missing tools from the tool kit but not speakers removed from the car.
Thanks Majic24! That's useful information. Would you have Joe's contact email? If so please send it to me via direct message. Ideally, I'd like to retain the system as stock as possible as I agree with your statement, however, if I have to for out $500 for 2 speakers I might have to look at some decent aftermarket options.

Unfortunately, I took a closer look at the amplifier yesterday and got some more concerning info. Although it is a stock Mark Levinson unit the cabling looks like it's been worked over quite well with blue connectors. Makes me wonder if the stock amp was somehow stolen and cable were cut or what the hell happened. I'll try to pull it out this weekend and take a closer look. At this point I feel like pulling all the speakers and inspecting them....
Old 07-03-19, 09:44 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Only thing stolen was probably the output signal from the amplifier, which would have probably fed to an aftermarket digital sound processor, then sent to a more robust amplifier.

At least that would have been my approach.
Old 07-03-19, 12:37 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by DaSyce
Only thing stolen was probably the output signal from the amplifier, which would have probably fed to an aftermarket digital sound processor, then sent to a more robust amplifier.

At least that would have been my approach.
Agreed. I’ve not done it myself but it’s likely the sound system was “upgraded” and different components were utilized. When the owner sold the GS he likely removed his upgrades. In fact it wouldn’t surprise me if the previous owner might be a member right here on CL.
Old 07-03-19, 12:39 PM
Majic24
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PIPete,
Joe’s Extension is 3126. Sorry to hear you finding more mods, have you contacted the dealer? They probably won’t offer much, as you said replacing to original parts could get pricey. Worth a visit to the GM, did you purchase at a Lexus dealer?
United Radio is the worldwide authorized repair center for Mark Levinson and all other high-end factory installed radios. Their customer service is excellent. If Joe’s not available when you call leave a message he will definitely get back to you. Please keep us updated, best of luck.
Old 07-03-19, 12:57 PM
PlPete
Driver

chinee - That's actually quite possible. I'll have to do some more investigating. At this point I feel like pulling door panels and looking at all speakers to get a better feel. It's pretty ****ty thing to do ... upgrade parts and not return it to stock if selling the car. There is decent sound now but it's just super odd that the 2 front dash speakers are missing. If it's a member on here I'd love to get some insight....

Originally Posted by Majic24
PIPete,
Joe’s Extension is 3126. Sorry to hear you finding more mods, have you contacted the dealer? They probably won’t offer much, as you said replacing to original parts could get pricey. Worth a visit to the GM, did you purchase at a Lexus dealer?
United Radio is the worldwide authorized repair center for Mark Levinson and all other high-end factory installed radios. Their customer service is excellent. If Joe’s not available when you call leave a message he will definitely get back to you. Please keep us updated, best of luck.
Majic24 - thanks a lot! I'll give him a ring for sure. I'd like to get some advice on the best way to remedy this without dropping too much coin. I need to do some more examination like I said and will contact the dealership's manager. Unfortunately it was not a Lexus dealer but one with some extremely high end cars. I'm talking Ferrari, Porsche, Bentley etc. It was Coast to Coast Imports Collection in Indianapolis. Although I highly doubt they will do anything I'll still contact them and give it a try. Will keep this updated.
Old 07-03-19, 01:02 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

One has to be careful when considering buying a vehicle that is oftentimes modified - like the Lexus GS 350. Quite often these cars are stripped of their modifications and carelessly put back to a stock condition without any concern for the next owner that may find parts to be missing, unwanted aftermarket parts installed and stock parts missing, wheel alignment all out-of-kilter, swapped-out body parts, etc., etc.
Old 07-03-19, 01:30 PM
PlPete
Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
One has to be careful when considering buying a vehicle that is oftentimes modified - like the Lexus GS 350. Quite often these cars are stripped of their modifications and carelessly put back to a stock condition without any concern for the next owner that may find parts to be missing, unwanted aftermarket parts installed and stock parts missing, wheel alignment all out-of-kilter, swapped-out body parts, etc., etc.
Good point but you're preaching to the quire here. I've been working on cars since I was 16 and have done everything from an oil change to an engine swap so you better believe I gave the car a proper inspection. Mechanically and visually the car is perfectly sound and has zero issues. Having said that I don't think you expect anyone to pop door panels and speaker grills to ensure speakers are there or tear into the trunk looking at amp wiring. I doubt even a PPI at a Lexus dealer would do that. With the car not throwing any codes and radio operating fine at first inspection it's not something that is easily noticed until you spend some time with the car.
Old 07-03-19, 01:39 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Originally Posted by PlPete
Good point but you're preaching to the quire here. I've been working on cars since I was 16 and have done everything from an oil change to an engine swap so you better believe I gave the car a proper inspection. Mechanically and visually the car is perfectly sound and has zero issues. Having said that I don't think you expect anyone to pop door panels and speaker grills to ensure speakers are there or tear into the trunk looking at amp wiring. I doubt even a PPI at a Lexus dealer would do that. With the car not throwing any codes and radio operating fine at first inspection it's not something that is easily noticed until you spend some time with the car.
I was not specifically addressing you and your recent purchase, but anyone considering purchasing a used GS 350.