GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

detached / missing speaker on ML audio??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-19 | 08:05 AM
PlPete
Driver

Default detached / missing speaker on ML audio?? correction...2 speakers! WTF

Hey all - I've been quite impressed and happy with my Mark Levinson audio set up on my GS350 F-Sport. Sound is really clean, crisp with right amount of bass for me .... so good I didn't even realize one of my speakers is not working!

While washing my windshield I was looking down at the front passenger side speaker grille that is located in the dash near the a pillar and realized I can't see the speaker cone. I checked on the other side and could definitely see the speaker through the grille on the left side. Thought that it was pretty odd as everything sounded great. I went into sound options and moved the sound to the very front right and got no sound.

Has anyone come across anything like that? It has been really hot here lately, mid 90s and humid but I'd imagine that the speakers are secured with screws at least and nothing would ever melt off. I'm planning on popping out the grille to see what's what. I think I can see a cable so maybe the speaker detached itself somehow? But even if so, why no sound?

Last edited by PlPete; 07-01-19 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-01-19 | 08:13 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Don't think you can pop out the grill, need to remove the door panel.

Edit: not reading carefully enough.

Last edited by jonathancl; 07-01-19 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-01-19 | 08:20 AM
PlPete
Driver

The speaker is not located in the door. It's in the dash where there are 3 total. Right, Center and Left. I'm referring to the right one.
Old 07-01-19 | 06:16 PM
PlPete
Driver

Turns out I'm not crazy! And I'm not missing 1 but 2 speakers in the dash! The center speaker is there but upon removing the grills of the front right and left speakers I found nothing and cables that were cut and extended with another cable and then attached with electrical tape....but to what? I didn't see any speakers unless they are tucked away somewhere... but that wouldn't make sense. See below photos:

Center

detached / missing speaker on ML audio??-isi2peo.jpg

Driver side

detached / missing speaker on ML audio??-lpclj3k.jpg

Passanger side

detached / missing speaker on ML audio??-zjr0zzz.jpg

What do you guys think? I hopped on Crutchfield and didn't see any speakers for the front dash even available? I purchased the car out of state and the ML was something I really wanted and now seeing the car is missing 2 speakers has me quite pissed. The car definitely has ML because I confirmed that via VIN search and there are ML markings on the radio and rear sub cover. I guess it's a testament to the audio in the car that I didn't notice for so long and not until i stared into the grille while washing the windshield. Does anyone think I'll have any luck by contacting the dealer? It was not a Lexus dealer.
Old 07-01-19 | 06:29 PM
richard203
Racer

oh man u better check all ur speaker and sub on the car since some 1 jacked two speacker. lol
Old 07-01-19 | 06:32 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PlPete
Turns out I'm not crazy! And I'm not missing 1 but 2 speakers in the dash! The center speaker is there but upon removing the grills of the front right and left speakers I found nothing and cables that were cut and extended with another cable and then attached with electrical tape....but to what? I didn't see any speakers unless they are tucked away somewhere... but that wouldn't make sense. See below photos:

Center <image snipped>
Driver side <image snipped>
Passanger side <image snipped>

What do you guys think? I hopped on Crutchfield and didn't see any speakers for the front dash even available? I purchased the car out of state and the ML was something I really wanted and now seeing the car is missing 2 speakers has me quite pissed. The car definitely has ML because I confirmed that via VIN search and there are ML markings on the radio and rear sub cover. I guess it's a testament to the audio in the car that I didn't notice for so long and not until i stared into the grille while washing the windshield. Does anyone think I'll have any luck by contacting the dealer? It was not a Lexus dealer.
You'd have better luck dating a different supermodel each day for the rest of the year!
Old 07-01-19 | 07:27 PM
soulless
Rookie

Since it looks like there's aftermarket connectors on the oem wiring with aftermarket wiring, maybe the previous owner had upgraded the speakers and took them back when he sold the car?

As for the dealer option, i guess it wouldn't hurt to try to bring it up and see where it goes but doubtful anything would happen since for all they know you could have taken them out and blame them? Not trying take a dealers side but i can see them arguing something like that
The following users liked this post:
thisguy_06 (07-02-19)
Old 07-02-19 | 04:04 AM
PlPete
Driver

Originally Posted by soulless
Since it looks like there's aftermarket connectors on the oem wiring with aftermarket wiring, maybe the previous owner had upgraded the speakers and took them back when he sold the car?

As for the dealer option, i guess it wouldn't hurt to try to bring it up and see where it goes but doubtful anything would happen since for all they know you could have taken them out and blame them? Not trying take a dealers side but i can see them arguing something like that
Thanks. That's a valid point but seems like an odd job. Proper connectors on one side and electrical tape on the other? Either way, I suppose that could happen. Ill have to see if there are any aftermarket options out there. I think OEM ML speakers are like $300+.

I'll be reaching out to the dealer. We will see what happens. I'll probably go straight to the manager as he left his card with the paperwork. They have asking me for a review anyway and screwed up before by not torquing the wheels properly and one came extremely loose during a 500 mile drive back.
Old 07-02-19 | 08:51 AM
jkeller
Advanced

You might want to look in the trunk to see if it has the factory ML amp in there........
Old 07-02-19 | 08:56 AM
PlPete
Driver

I actually did. The amp is there. There are also ML markings on the radio as well as the cover on the rear deck where the sub is. So it seems that only the 2 speakers are mysteriously missing from the front dash.
Old 07-02-19 | 10:14 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Originally Posted by PlPete
I actually did. The amp is there. There are also ML markings on the radio as well as the cover on the rear deck where the sub is. So it seems that only the 2 speakers are mysteriously missing from the front dash.
I checked quickly on ebay: plenty of ML speakers out there. Might require some hunting, but you may be able to find them for substantially less than new.
Old 07-02-19 | 10:26 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

$5 says your wiring harness leading out of the ML amp has splices.. I’m assuming tap the output for a DSP connection.
Old 07-02-19 | 11:10 AM
PlPete
Driver

Originally Posted by jonathancl
I checked quickly on ebay: plenty of ML speakers out there. Might require some hunting, but you may be able to find them for substantially less than new.
Thanks! I'll look around. Worst case I may look into getting a decent 3.5in 2 way speakers in there. Crutchfield doesn't show any options that fit so it might be a bit of a guessing game. There isn't much space in there.
Old 07-02-19 | 11:11 AM
PlPete
Driver

Originally Posted by DaSyce
$5 says your wiring harness leading out of the ML amp has splices.. I’m assuming tap the output for a DSP connection.
I'll look but I'm not following why? The wiring looks fine outside of what is coming out of the dash. It looks like the stock connectors were cut off and an extension was made for another speaker.
Old 07-02-19 | 08:19 PM
Majic24
Driver School Candidate

I also have the Mark Levinson sound system I am very impressed with the sound quality. I would suggest keeping all speakers original, a lot of design and engineering went into the components to make the system what it is. You can contact M.L. via United Radio in N.Y. very helpful & professional people. The technician I spoke to is Joe very knowledgeable, he can guide you about using (or not) the original speakers etc. Amazing how clear the system sounds with just the right amount of accurate bass, imagine what yours will sound like when you get the speakers reinstalled.

Really sad people do stuff like this, I can understand missing tools from the tool kit but not speakers removed from the car.

Quick Reply: detached / missing speaker on ML audio??