Search this Thread

Old 07-20-20 | 09:53 AM
Mewannalex
Pit Crew

Oh man, oh man, noot cool.
Old 07-21-20 | 08:51 AM
duchoaaz
10th Gear

My 2015 GS350 just passed 40k miles. The water pump had a slow leak sometime in last winter and I didn't know. I experience no heat in the car in early Spring due to low coolant. In April, I filled up all the fluids and drove to Houston from upstate NY (~1600 miles). During the trip I noticed belt squeak noise in the morning and also a clunking (bearing) noise when idle. I took it to a dealer when arrive in Houston and complained about the noises. Came to find out my water pump was leak all that time. The mechanic technician told me I was lucky got there without issue. So because there is still some coolant left and the aluminum engine block dissipated heat well and AC was on all the time which mean engine fan is on and highway speed also contributed to cooling. Otherwise my car would overheated and broke down in middle of nowhere.

Parts and labor costed me $400.
Old 07-21-20 | 05:53 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by duchoaaz
My 2015 GS350 just passed 40k miles. The water pump had a slow leak sometime in last winter and I didn't know. I experience no heat in the car in early Spring due to low coolant. In April, I filled up all the fluids and drove to Houston from upstate NY (~1600 miles). During the trip I noticed belt squeak noise in the morning and also a clunking (bearing) noise when idle. I took it to a dealer when arrive in Houston and complained about the noises. Came to find out my water pump was leak all that time. The mechanic technician told me I was lucky got there without issue. So because there is still some coolant left and the aluminum engine block dissipated heat well and AC was on all the time which mean engine fan is on and highway speed also contributed to cooling. Otherwise my car would overheated and broke down in middle of nowhere.

Parts and labor costed me $400.
Not sure why haven't Toyota/Lexus figure out how to put in better water pump?
Old 07-21-20 | 05:54 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by thatoneazn
I bought a preown 2016 GS 350 Fsport with 33,000. I owned it for 8 months, and when I reached about 38,000 miles I noticed the water pump leak, easy to idenify since it was pink.
I took it to longo lexus and they sent me these photos. Covered under warranty

Looks bad. What's all that crud? Almost like calcium build up.
Old 07-21-20 | 06:46 PM
FSportOnly
Rookie

My wife's certified '17 NX with 40K miles that we just got last month had a water pump that started leaking two weeks after we got it. Only noticed cause I found fluid on the garage floor. Dealer was very apologetic, handed us a loaner and took care of it.
Old 02-11-22 | 08:50 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Can I join the club ? My 2017 GS350 in for an oil change at 39.4k miles and guess what....phone call telling me the water pump is leaking. I had a slight suspicion as the reservoir was a little low some weeks back so I added a smidge and then it looked like it was overfilled. In any case, guess now I know the cause. I have the extended warranty but this time it'll be covered by the Powertrain Warranty.
Old 02-13-22 | 01:25 PM
lexinvegas
Driver

Got a cheapie smog check the other day and the semiprofessional kid doing the job told me I had a water pump leak in my 17 GS F Sport.
Figured he didn't know what he was talking about, but took it to dealer to have it checked out. Turns out the kid was right. BTW, car has only 14k miles.
Its certified so I was surprised but not too concerned. Dealer said since it was so minor, corporate might not approve fixing it. Said to wait a while and
see how it does. They admit theres a leak, but not sure if fix will be approved yet. This dealer has been very cooperative and good to me in the past, but
not going to let this go on much longer. This is the 13th Lexus I've had, and the very first problem of any kind.
Old 02-13-22 | 01:30 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexinvegas
Got a cheapie smog check the other day and the semiprofessional kid doing the job told me I had a water pump leak in my 17 GS F Sport.
Figured he didn't know what he was talking about, but took it to dealer to have it checked out. Turns out the kid was right. BTW, car has only 14k miles.
Its certified so I was surprised but not too concerned. Dealer said since it was so minor, corporate might not approve fixing it. Said to wait a while and
see how it does. They admit theres a leak, but not sure if fix will be approved yet. This dealer has been very cooperative and good to me in the past, but
not going to let this go on much longer. This is the 13th Lexus I've had, and the very first problem of any kind.
Leak from the water pump isn't going to fix itself and may get worse over time. That is an obvious problem and is not acceptable. If it's not approved you need to give push back until they resolve it.

How often do you change cars to be on your 13th?
Old 02-13-22 | 02:27 PM
lexinvegas
Driver

I know, just hope they don't make it too contentious. Have actually had 73 cars since high school (not buying to flip or resale, just
impulsive). The number is slightly mitigated by fact I'm almost 75. Still pathetic, I know.