GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

TPMS reset

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-19, 03:49 PM
StlGasMan
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TPMS reset

I had a flat. Changing the tire, Firestone damaged and replaced the sensor on the wheel. Afterwards, the TPMS isn’t reading on any of the wheels. They tried resetting. Any tricks they are missing? If not, off to the dealer.
Old 07-11-19, 04:39 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by StlGasMan
I had a flat. Changing the tire, Firestone damaged and replaced the sensor on the wheel. Afterwards, the TPMS isn’t reading on any of the wheels. They tried resetting. Any tricks they are missing? If not, off to the dealer.
What sensor did they replaced with? Non OEM may not work properly. I'd get OEM Tpms and reset it again at any Discount Tire (America's Tire). They did mine working just fine.
Old 07-11-19, 07:13 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Your first mistake was going to Firestone, or maybe you were just close to the Firestone store when you had your flat tire. Firestone usually deals mainly with brands like Chevy, Ford and Chrysler, and some other brands when the owner is not aware that they should go elsewhere.

As jdpdata advised - Firestone likely had no clue what type of TPMS sensor was needed - so they probably gave you one that works with a Chrysler 300, Chevy Cruse or Ford F150...and sent you on your way.

Old 07-13-19, 09:45 AM
LifeSimple
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As the others stated, if that sensor was broken and not reading, you may have a flashing tire light, and if it's not flashing, it soon will be. That will also cause no pressures to read on your cluster.
Old 07-14-19, 10:31 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by LifeSimple
As the others stated, if that sensor was broken and not reading, you may have a flashing tire light, and if it's not flashing, it soon will be. That will also cause no pressures to read on your cluster.
Not necessarily true. I have 4 "fake" TPMS sensors in my car right now and there's no flashing tire light... I've probably put at least 1000+ miles on those tires, too. Or at least I think they were fake, because despite the tire shop programming them in, none of them register. Beware buying sensors on ebay etc. Eventually I'll get around to getting them replaced but such a huge pain in the ***. Going to have a mechanic friend try to re-init them too, worth a try but my gut feeling is I got fakes/duds.

-Mike
Old 07-18-19, 03:50 PM
StlGasMan
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixed

Replaced with OEM sensor. Works now.
The following users liked this post:
jdpdata (07-18-19)
Old 07-18-19, 07:51 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Replaced with OEM sensor. Works now.
Yeah, but did Firestone pay for the OEM TPMS...and your wasted time?
Old 07-20-19, 07:04 AM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
Not necessarily true. I have 4 "fake" TPMS sensors in my car right now and there's no flashing tire light... I've probably put at least 1000+ miles on those tires, too. Or at least I think they were fake, because despite the tire shop programming them in, none of them register. Beware buying sensors on ebay etc. Eventually I'll get around to getting them replaced but such a huge pain in the ***. Going to have a mechanic friend try to re-init them too, worth a try but my gut feeling is I got fakes/duds.

-Mike
i'm having the same issue with non-oem sensors. the tech was able to register/sync (twice!) them but the car is not displaying the psi values, just dashes where the psi values should be. it's driving me nuts.

i got the sensors along with the tire/wheel package but i failed to ask whether they were OEM or not, silly me.
Old 07-20-19, 07:34 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by thisguy_06
i'm having the same issue with non-oem sensors. the tech was able to register/sync (twice!) them but the car is not displaying the psi values, just dashes where the psi values should be. it's driving me nuts.

i got the sensors along with the tire/wheel package but i failed to ask whether they were OEM or not, silly me.
Only the OEM sensors will display the tire pressure, what they replaced your with was non-oem.

Why didn't you have them swap your existing senors into the new rims? That's what I did when I got new tires. The OEM sensors last a very long time(at least 10 years), I know from my last car.
The following users liked this post:
thisguy_06 (07-20-19)
Old 07-20-19, 10:22 AM
thisguy_06
Racer

Originally Posted by peasodos
Only the OEM sensors will display the tire pressure, what they replaced your with was non-oem.

Why didn't you have them swap your existing senors into the new rims? That's what I did when I got new tires. The OEM sensors last a very long time(at least 10 years), I know from my last car.
Honestly, if i would've known that the non-oem sensors wouldn't display the pressure, i would've requested that i had OEM sensors installed.

I've been driving hundreds of miles waiting for the pressure to display but i guess it looks like i'm going to be swapping out for OEM sensors.
Old 07-22-19, 10:07 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

figures I just jinxed myself by saying that.... started the car the other day, now it throws a low tire light. My spare was low so I puffed that back up to 60 psi, but the light is still on, probably because of the other sensors not working. It's kind of amusing through that it took like 4000 miles before the
check tire light went on though...

-Mike
Old 07-25-19, 04:29 PM
thisguy_06
Racer

^^^^I don't think our spares have a TPMS in them?

But update on my non-oem tpms.

After about 6 days of getting them synced, the psi values finally display. Mind you, the entire time, my car never threw an error.

Needless to say, I'm relieved that they work and that i don't have to go through the ordeal of getting OEM sensors.
Old 07-25-19, 04:36 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^I don't think our spares have a TPMS in them?

But update on my non-oem tpms.

After about 6 days of getting them synced, the psi values finally display. Mind you, the entire time, my car never threw an error.

Needless to say, I'm relieved that they work and that i don't have to go through the ordeal of getting OEM sensors.

What do you mean - just all of a sudden after 6 days of doing nothing they started working? Or, after fiddling with the sensors for 6 days trying to sync them you found a way for the sensors to work?
Old 07-25-19, 04:43 PM
thisguy_06
Racer

Yea, i got them synced like last monday, nothing. So i went back to the shop and had them rechecked everything - so they reset it and synced it again.

So for about those 6 days from last friday, there was nothing on my dash. No light and no psi pressure.

Then driving home today, they all appear. I'm very relieved since i have 20" and i live in the city and i rely on these sensors for peace of mind.

The TPMS set button under the dash won't reset the system so i didn't bother pressing that. I just drove the car and hope that one day it'll appear if i give it more time.
Old 07-25-19, 05:00 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Yea, i got them synced like last monday, nothing. So i went back to the shop and had them rechecked everything - so they reset it and synced it again.

So for about those 6 days from last friday, there was nothing on my dash. No light and no psi pressure.

Then driving home today, they all appear. I'm very relieved since i have 20" and i live in the city and i rely on these sensors for peace of mind.

The TPMS set button under the dash won't reset the system so i didn't bother pressing that. I just drove the car and hope that one day it'll appear if i give it more time.
Okay. Not doing anything for about 6 days and suddenly they start working is weird. Hope they continue to work.