GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Seat belt choked me!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-19, 07:30 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Seat belt choked me!

I had an unusual experience today driving the GS. I travelled across a bridge with metal grate flooring (I travel across this bridge everyday) at approx. 30-mph when all of a sudden, when the vehicle went across the metal grates, the seat-belt tensioner tightened up the entire belt pulled back forcefully suddenly and without any warning. The tensioner did not just lock me in place, but it actually pulled back the straps forcefully which glued me to the seat back for about 3 seconds before it let me go. It was quite forceful and scared me a bit. Almost felt like someone sitting in the back seat pulling on the belt as a joke. This has never happened before.

does anyone know if this is normal safety feature on the car?
Old 07-21-19, 07:39 PM
LifeSimple
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What year is it? Any codes or airbag lights?
Any aftermarket wiring?
Old 07-21-19, 07:43 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LifeSimple
What year is it? Any codes or airbag lights?
Any aftermarket wiring?
2013. No codes or anything. Nothing wrong. All stock
Old 07-21-19, 07:48 PM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

it is normal and is one of the safety feature. I believe it is called the seat belt pretensioner.. where you going down a hill and hard braking?
Old 07-21-19, 07:52 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by john341
it is normal and is one of the safety features. where you going down a hill and hard braking?
no. Just normal level driving at 30 mph constant but car transitioned from concrete pavement to metal grates on the bridge. Maybe the sensor got confused.
Old 07-22-19, 05:10 AM
LifeSimple
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by azipod
no. Just normal level driving at 30 mph constant but car transitioned from concrete pavement to metal grates on the bridge. Maybe the sensor got confused.
That's exactly what I was going to say next, most likely it was the sensors prepping you up for a collision, at least you now know they work!
Old 07-22-19, 10:15 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

I thought pretensioners are a one shot deal like an airbag- if they "fire" they're not going back to "normal" afterwards.

-Mike
Old 07-22-19, 10:45 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

You better hope the pretensioner did not fire...because it isn't supposed to fire until a collision is actually already in the process of taking place. Also, when a seat belt pretensioner fires it needs to be replaced because it cannot be reused as a pretensioner again due to it having already been fired.
Old 07-22-19, 11:11 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

This is what I found from Lexus:

A pre-crash safety system containing a radar sensory system, occupant seat sensor, and an electric motor-pyrotechnic pretensioner system. During a pre-collision event, an electric motor in the pretensioners retracts the slack in the front seatbelts. When conditions stabilize the electric motor will reverse itself.

I guess my radar-system may have triggered a false alarm right when the vehicle was about to go on the metal grates on the bridge. This hasn't happened before and I travel on the bridge everyday. But perhaps its a one time hiccup. That's the most logical reason on why the pre-tensioners triggered.

As I understand it, Stage 1 is the electronic motor that pulls on the belt to retract any slack and to hold the body in place. Stage 2 is when the pyrotechnic blast occurs that will forcefully cause the seat-belt to remain "locked" during the collision. Nice to know the cool features that are on our cars!

Last edited by azipod; 07-22-19 at 11:17 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-22-19, 12:03 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

This is what I found from Lexus:

A pre-crash safety system containing a radar sensory system, occupant seat sensor, and an electric motor-pyrotechnic pretensioner system. During a pre-collision event, an electric motor in the pretensioners retracts the slack in the front seatbelts. When conditions stabilize the electric motor will reverse itself.

I guess my radar-system may have triggered a false alarm right when the vehicle was about to go on the metal grates on the bridge. This hasn't happened before and I travel on the bridge everyday. But perhaps its a one time hiccup. That's the most logical reason on why the pre-tensioners triggered.

As I understand it, Stage 1 is the electronic motor that pulls on the belt to retract any slack and to hold the body in place. Stage 2 is when the pyrotechnic blast occurs that will forcefully cause the seat-belt to remain "locked" during the collision. Nice to know the cool features that are on our cars!
Did the driver's seat back adjust to the most upright position possible?
Old 07-22-19, 12:05 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bclexus
Did the driver's seat back adjust to the most upright position possible?
No, only the seat-belt tightened for a few seconds and then it let me escape.
Old 07-22-19, 12:25 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

No, only the seat-belt tightened for a few seconds and then it let me escape.
I thought the pre-crash safety system stood all seat backs into the most upright position before tightening the seat belts. I don't know - I just hope I never need the system's help!
Old 07-22-19, 12:29 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

I thought the pre-crash safety system stood all seat backs into the most upright position before tightening the seat belts. I don't know - I just hope I never need the system's help!
Is that even possible? A crash occurs at an instant and I don't think a seat can adjust itself that quickly.
Old 07-22-19, 01:59 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Is that even possible? A crash occurs at an instant and I don't think a seat can adjust itself that quickly.
Lexus' Pre-Collision System (if you have it) does. Look at about 3:15 in this video.

Old 07-22-19, 02:22 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Lexus' Pre-Collision System (if you have it) does. Look at about 3:15 in this video.

https://youtu.be/KkROKHRyaIE
I do have PCS but the seats did not move on my GS. I don't know if the GS has it or not. Your video of the LS is pretty informative regardless.

Quick Reply: Seat belt choked me!