Old 07-24-19, 12:48 PM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardB23
i believe OP went with rsr down springs on stock shocks
Originally Posted by LifeSimple
Correct, I'm on stock struts and shocks and no problems for now ... lol
So this would be all I needed? http://www.rs-r.com/product/lexus-gs...-springs-2013/

Anything else I need to know? (completely amatuer at this)
Old 07-24-19, 01:36 PM
LifeSimple
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NickMayer
So this would be all I needed? http://www.rs-r.com/product/lexus-gs...-springs-2013/

Anything else I need to know? (completely amatuer at this)
It's ok were all here to help, and correct that'd be all but since it'll all be apart, you might want to look into upgraded aftermarket shocks and struts too , entirely up to you, but might as well kill two birds with one stone. Otherwise you can always use stock suspension like I did.
The following users liked this post:
NickMayer (07-26-19)
Old 10-16-19, 08:53 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Originally Posted by LifeSimple
It's ok were all here to help, and correct that'd be all but since it'll all be apart, you might want to look into upgraded aftermarket shocks and struts too , entirely up to you, but might as well kill two birds with one stone. Otherwise you can always use stock suspension like I did.
Finally thinking about moving forward with this, love how your lower looks. Let me ask, what is the point of upgraded shocks/struts? With the lower it's harder on those parts? Any upgrades anyone would suggest for those?
Old 10-16-19, 09:42 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Finally thinking about moving forward with this, love how your lower looks. Let me ask, what is the point of upgraded shocks/struts? With the lower it's harder on those parts? Any upgrades anyone would suggest for those?
Not sure about the GS and "modern" cars. But during the 1990s during the "Honda" days, it was said that the lowered springs caused the shocks to travel at a lower-stroke height which takes it out of its typical operating range. This was what caused the factory shocks to wear out much quicker.
The following 3 users liked this post by azipod:
drgrant (10-17-19), NickMayer (10-16-19), RichardB23 (10-16-19)
Old 10-16-19, 11:24 AM
RichardB23
Pole Position

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by azipod
Not sure about the GS and "modern" cars. But during the 1990s during the "Honda" days, it was said that the lowered springs caused the shocks to travel at a lower-stroke height which takes it out of its typical operating range. This was what caused the factory shocks to wear out much quicker.
Still true.
Old 10-16-19, 12:26 PM
NickMayer
Advanced

Originally Posted by RichardB23
Still true.
Like they will last a much shorter time, or maybe they need replaced at 190k miles instead of 200k? I'd do the springs, but shocks and struts may be pushing it right now. Too many things I want to do, not enough money.
Old 10-16-19, 12:58 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Like they will last a much shorter time, or maybe they need replaced at 190k miles instead of 200k? I'd do the springs, but shocks and struts may be pushing it right now. Too many things I want to do, not enough money.
Much shorter time. Probably 25%-35% of what it should be.... just depends on the car. Given the labor involved, I would swap the shocks when you do the springs. This is the correct way to do it. Aftermarket performance shocks are tuned better for the stiffer lowered spring and it's setup to perform with the lowered stroke. Stock shocks were never meant to be used with lowered springs and they wouldn't perform correctly even if they were new. One issue you might have is having your car bottom out during bumps especially when you car is loaded with a few people. Stock shocks are too soft for lowered springs.
The following 2 users liked this post by azipod:
icee1 (10-31-19), NickMayer (10-16-19)
Old 10-16-19, 01:34 PM
NickMayer
Advanced

Originally Posted by azipod
Much shorter time. Probably 25%-35% of what it should be.... just depends on the car. Given the labor involved, I would swap the shocks when you do the springs. This is the correct way to do it. Aftermarket performance shocks are tuned better for the stiffer lowered spring and it's setup to perform with the lowered stroke. Stock shocks were never meant to be used with lowered springs and they wouldn't perform correctly even if they were new. One issue you might have is having your car bottom out during bumps especially when you car is loaded with a few people. Stock shocks are too soft for lowered springs.
Interesting, thanks for that.

Going to need to nail down specifics so I can price that out I guess... So much to do..... Anyone got 20k I can borrow?
Old 10-16-19, 09:17 PM
3stars1sun
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm on RSR downs with stock shocks too. 93k on my car and I'm very satisfied with the comfortable ride. What's a good replacement for the stock shocks once they give out?
Old 10-17-19, 07:56 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Boi
The car is gorgeous. What size rims are those? I still see a ton of wheel gap. Beautiful car tho!
That's not a lot of wheel gap, unless it's by the standard of someone trying to slam the car, lol. The stock AWD GS wheel gap is large enough to put my fist in between the wheel and the fender, which is huge compared to his.

-Mike
Old 10-18-19, 09:06 AM
funkizm
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I’m older so I have been modifying vehicles for a long time. Typically when you change the springs you’re changing struts/shocks also. We progress, innovate, & change. So I sent an email to RS-R in regards to this subject. This is the response that I got.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

We recommend keeping the factory shocks/struts as our springs were designed to be compatible with OEM parts.

Best Regards,

Thao/RS-R USA
The following 2 users liked this post by funkizm:
icee1 (10-31-19), NickMayer (10-18-19)