GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Fair price for coolant flush + differential fluid changs

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-19, 06:09 AM
Zsikd
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Fair price for coolant flush + differential fluid changs

So I’m about to hit 100k on my car and have a scheduled appointment with my local Lexus dealer. Instead of doing the 100K recommended service, which I think includes a bunch of useless inspections, I’m doing a la carte service.

Lexus dealer reporter $180 for the coolant flush + unknown amount for the differential fluid change.

I can do all this by myself but I’m just a person who feels more peace of mind with going to the dealer + the convenience and loaner vehicle.

Let me know what you guys think!
Old 07-24-19, 06:40 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Check with your local Toyota dealership. They can do they same exact job at a lower labor/parts rate. They should be able to give you an exact price for just the coolant flush and the diff fluid change. Honestly I'd just leave the rear diff alone. On my 450h the recommended coolant change was either 130 or 150k.
Old 07-24-19, 09:20 AM
Zsikd
Driver

Originally Posted by peasodos
Check with your local Toyota dealership. They can do they same exact job at a lower labor/parts rate. They should be able to give you an exact price for just the coolant flush and the diff fluid change. Honestly I'd just leave the rear diff alone. On my 450h the recommended coolant change was either 130 or 150k.
Thanks for the recommendation! I’ll ask them. I have somewhat of a hook up at the Lexus dealer because the service manager has been helping my family for over a decade, so I get some discounts. I have a AWD GS, therefore I was thinking about the differential fluid. It won’t hurt to change it right
Old 07-24-19, 09:27 AM
IcyBishop
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 68 Posts

If the car is already in for service then correct - can't hurt to change it!

The only thing I always ask is how they change fluids - do they use a machine to flush or do a drain. Lots of varying stories and opinions out there regarding flushes being harmful to certain components, so it never hurts to do a little research prior.
Old 07-24-19, 09:31 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by IcyBishop

The only thing I always ask is how they change fluids - do they use a machine to flush or do a drain. Lots of varying stories and opinions out there regarding flushes being harmful to certain components, so it never hurts to do a little research prior.
A flush is okay with the coolant system, but is not recommended for a transmission.
The following users liked this post:
Zsikd (07-24-19)
Old 07-24-19, 10:00 AM
waygreen
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My local Lexus dealer charges $175 for coolant and $95 for diff. Your guy is in the ballpark for the coolant assuming his price is pre-"hookup."
The following users liked this post:
Zsikd (07-24-19)
Old 07-24-19, 10:52 AM
Zsikd
Driver

Originally Posted by IcyBishop

Thank you for the input. I do know with the transmission, flushing it seems to have much more negative consequences than benefits. My trans pan started leaking after hitting a pot hole (Michigan roads suck lol) so the dealer replaced the pan with new fluid. Worked out to my favor.

As bclexus said below, with the coolant system. It seems to be okay.
Old 07-24-19, 10:54 AM
Zsikd
Driver

Originally Posted by waygreen
My local Lexus dealer charges $175 for coolant and $95 for diff. Your guy is in the ballpark for the coolant assuming his price is pre-"hookup."
Is the $95 for both the rear and front?
Old 07-24-19, 11:51 AM
waygreen
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Zsikd
Is the $95 for both the rear and front?
Rear only.
Old 07-24-19, 12:11 PM
Zsikd
Driver

Originally Posted by waygreen
Rear only.
Thanks! If I’m going to do it, I’ll probably just end up doing both rear and front. Let’s see how much my dealer charges me.
Old 08-06-19, 06:38 AM
Zsikd
Driver

Ended up paying $400 with tax for both the rear and front differential fluid change and coolant flush. The convenience of having a loaner for three days also was pretty good, but I will say, the new ES is nothing compared to the GS. Lexus tried to mimic certain aspects of the GS in the new ES, but it just doesn’t feel right.
Old 08-06-19, 07:03 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 366 Likes on 255 Posts

Hey just for clarity:

I could not find a recommendation to change any of the differential oils in the Warranty and Services Guide.
Is that right?
Old 08-06-19, 08:01 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathancl
Hey just for clarity:

I could not find a recommendation to change any of the differential oils in the Warranty and Services Guide.
Is that right?
Yeah that's right. In my 450h it's the same thing, not in the maintenance schedule. Your apparently not required to change the diff and never touch the transmission fluid.

They do have a checklist that does say inspect rear diff oil, idk maybe check for leaks. Can't imagine any other inspection Lexus would do for the diff.

Last edited by peasodos; 08-06-19 at 08:08 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by peasodos:
Im2bz2p345 (08-06-19), jonathancl (08-06-19)
Old 08-06-19, 08:24 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 107 Posts

Hey just for clarity:

Is that right?
its not in the recommendation on the service book. people do it cause its a personal reference. people like to wait 10k for oil change some like to do it in 5k, some like to follow the 60k spark plug change some like to wait till 120k. its just a personal reference.
Old 08-06-19, 08:45 PM
Zsikd
Driver

Hey just for clarity:

Is that right?
Yes, that’s right - it’s in the maintenance book but if you look at the 60k service checklist, Lexus does inspect the differential fluid. They don’t really recommend changing it but it’s more of a personal choice. I did it for my own peace of mind, plus it’s not much considering I want to keep my car.

Quick Reply: Fair price for coolant flush + differential fluid changs