GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Got my DCTMS wheel + knob installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-19, 08:03 AM
Amuse350z
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Got my DCTMS wheel + **** installed

After battling about 10-11 weeks of start of production to being delivered to me, though I did not like how the products came out, I sucked it up and installed it after negotiating with Ivan @ DCTMS due to its originally found imperfections. I had a cracked rear plastic piece, and the F Sport logo on the wheel had a small gap on the cf side. The shiftknob also had gaps in between and did not sit flush with the silver part of the shiftknob. (see pics).

They decided to give me $100 discount, which I graciously accepted. All in All, for $600 total cost, (I still need to receive $350 core + $100 refund back, which I expect to receive this week) i don't think it was a bad deal.

First I had complained about their lack of response and way delayed shipping time (they said 6 weeks max before the order but took 11 weeks.

Then once I got it installed, I started noticing many imperfections around the CF area on the wheel and where it's requires curves around the wheel. In conclusion, they need to better QC these wheels after it's "finished". While majority of the weaves look good on the top portion of the wheel, the bottom side has just been killing me visually. Stitching is pretty good. Overall the wheel feels great in my hands, and I enjoy driving the GS much better.

See pics for details, just wanted to share my experience.

Last edited by Amuse350z; 07-24-19 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-24-19, 02:29 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

That would bother me so much...
The following 2 users liked this post by eddie420:
GS350Boi (07-26-19), psinsyd (07-29-19)
Old 07-24-19, 02:51 PM
Tommastie
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, that bottom part looks terrible. I would request a full refund or exchange for another. Sorry to hear about your experience. The one I received has imperfections but no where near this bad.
The following users liked this post:
psinsyd (07-29-19)
Old 07-24-19, 03:52 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

I agree, that bottom of the wheel looks terrible. Mine wasn't anything like that bad. May be too late to get your money back since you already agreed on the $100 credit. I'd call Ivan to ask for full refund, if he refuses file a charge-back with your CC. Next time get from Elvin!
The following 2 users liked this post by jdpdata:
NickMayer (07-26-19), psinsyd (07-29-19)
Old 07-26-19, 07:50 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
I agree, that bottom of the wheel looks terrible. Mine wasn't anything like that bad. May be too late to get your money back since you already agreed on the $100 credit. I'd call Ivan to ask for full refund, if he refuses file a charge-back with your CC. Next time get from Elvin!
I'm with jd here. The price you ended up paying is great, but not sure even that is worth it. I would absolutely ask for money back and file a dispute if needs be. Then go with Elvin!
Old 07-26-19, 08:41 AM
Amuse350z
Driver

Thanks guys. I inquired about it and they're just asking to return the items for full refund, but my issue here is, here are things I'd never get back. Installation Cost, Shipping Cost to return original Cores, and of course my patience and time.

If I were to return the items, I'd have to pay for installation cost AGAIN, then another shipping cost to send back to THEM. It's not fair that I'm losing money for their sh1tty work. I asked what they could do if I were to still keep the item in its condition, and this is what Ivan replied with. LOL.. talk about a customer service.

Hi

The steering wheel design has the contour and sharp corners

our process is called wet-carbon process which laminate the carbon fabric over the surface and use lacquer to cure.

Wet process can not have all area with neat weave.

If you are not satisfied with our products, please send it back and we will give you full refund

Regards

Ivan
DCT MOTORSPORTS
Your Design; Our Work
DCT AUTO GROUP
408.8024500 sales@dctms.com
Old 07-26-19, 09:36 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Yeah, I see your predicament. Plus you already shipped your core steering wheel and shift **** back to Ivan right? So, if you ship back your DCTMS wheel and **** too, how da hell are you going to drive the car LOL.
Installation is pretty simple, you will need a bit of muscle power to pull off the wheel and take precaution to not set off the airbag...nothing difficult. I did installation myself after watch a couple YT videos. **** takes literally 30 seconds to install...a child could do it.
In your case, I'd just keep the thing. Too much hassle to ship everything back and lose more money and time/effort. Maybe throw them up for sell later and get Elvin to make you a better set..you'll still lose money overall but at least it will look better.
The following 2 users liked this post by jdpdata:
Amuse350z (07-26-19), NickMayer (07-26-19)
Old 07-26-19, 10:13 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Originally Posted by Amuse350z
Thanks guys. I inquired about it and they're just asking to return the items for full refund, but my issue here is, here are things I'd never get back. Installation Cost, Shipping Cost to return original Cores, and of course my patience and time.

If I were to return the items, I'd have to pay for installation cost AGAIN, then another shipping cost to send back to THEM. It's not fair that I'm losing money for their sh1tty work. I asked what they could do if I were to still keep the item in its condition, and this is what Ivan replied with. LOL.. talk about a customer service.
Did you pay for shipping with card too? I'd file a dispute on all of that, see how much money you can get back. But I feel ya, sometimes the hassle does't justify the return. Nice thing about Elvin is you *do not* have to ship anything to him. He will get shift **** and well to you without him needed yours.
Old 07-26-19, 10:29 AM
Amuse350z
Driver

Originally Posted by NickMayer
Did you pay for shipping with card too? I'd file a dispute on all of that, see how much money you can get back. But I feel ya, sometimes the hassle does't justify the return. Nice thing about Elvin is you *do not* have to ship anything to him. He will get shift **** and well to you without him needed yours.

how much does elvin charge, anyone?
Old 07-26-19, 10:33 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Originally Posted by Amuse350z
how much does elvin charge, anyone?
Steering wheel was $790 without heater function, $880 with. It was a bit more with button cover part as well. Shift **** was $250. Keep in mind that is with shipping, so if you got both I assume you save on shipping cost.
Amuse350z (07-26-19)
Old 07-26-19, 10:46 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,498 Posts

If you paid with a credit card you 'might' (long shot) be able to get some results by filing a dispute for bad service or inferior product. However, after you received the [inferior] product you purposely made the choice to keep it and have it installed, so you can't really make a claim against the seller for selling you an inferior product since you accepted the product as being worthy of keeping, and you elected to have it installed. It's not a product that must be installed first before it can be determined whether it works properly, or not. Any claim against the seller for poor service is really thrown out the window right away because you knew ahead of time about exchanging the core...and you elected to pay a shop for installation, the charges for which are always subject to being questionable by the party you have the claim against.

In defense of the seller, he has agreed to give you a full refund (less shipping I presume and installation labor charges), which is about the most anyone in your position can expect. Unfortunately, due to the core exchange situation and your need to have a shop perform [first] the removal and then [later] the installation (without being able to drive the car without a steering wheel), you are really in no position to do anything but to keep things as they currently are right now.
Old 07-26-19, 11:04 AM
BUZY3215
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I was able to get discounts with interior trims.
Old 07-27-19, 04:09 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

If you paid with PayPal which I am sure you did because that's what DCTMS uses, return shipping is free. I use it all the time. Go to PayPal, look for the transaction, and click on "return item".
Amuse350z (07-29-19)
Old 07-27-19, 08:47 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
If you paid with PayPal which I am sure you did because that's what DCTMS uses, return shipping is free. I use it all the time. Go to PayPal, look for the transaction, and click on "return item".
Open item not as described case in Paypal resolution center, Paypal will end up forcing the return. I know I've run an online business for 9 years.
Amuse350z (08-03-19)
Old 08-05-19, 06:11 AM
Amuse350z
Driver

Originally Posted by peasodos
Open item not as described case in Paypal resolution center, Paypal will end up forcing the return. I know I've run an online business for 9 years.
I filed a claim on PayPal with Items not as described, then I asked for a partial refund for huge defects in amount of $300. The owner responded almost immediately and asked to settle for $250. Accepted and moving along.

In conclusion, the final amount I paid of $450................................... I'd live with these defects. Maybe do an upgrade later on! Thanks guys for all your advice.
NickMayer (08-05-19)

Quick Reply: Got my DCTMS wheel + knob installed