GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Nails in tire - Unrepairable

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-19, 02:54 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts
Default Nails in tire - Unrepairable

I have two tiny nails in my front passenger tire that's causing a slow leak (see picture). So I took the car to local America's Tire shop. And to my surprise, they said they can't repair this. They said because the two nails are so close to each other (about 1 1/2 inches from each other) then don't have enough room to put a patch on each individual hole. The patch is about an 1" in diameter and must be centered on each hole they said. Is is true, or is he BS'ing me? I ask why they can't try use 1 patch to cover both holes, they said they're not allowed to do that. They want to order a brand new tire at $250 but giving me $100 credit since my tire is virtually brand new - so $150 for a new tire plus $19 mounting and taxes. Only purchase the tires 5 months ago with only 500 miles driven on the tires. Seems crazy they can't fix two tiny pin holes and I have to buy a brand new tire. I didn't get road hazard certificate when I purchased the tires...damn it should have thought about that.

Last edited by jdpdata; 07-24-19 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-24-19, 04:12 PM
soulless
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

from my experience discount tire and big brand places follow strict guidelines on what's repairable or not due to liability (like repairing too close to sidewall etc). i think in this case you might have better luck finding a independent shop try to patch it up for you (but you'll probably have to pay them a little bit) in order to get it fixed
Old 07-24-19, 04:17 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
I have two tiny nails in my front passenger tire that's causing a slow leak (see picture). So I took the car to local America's Tire shop. And to my surprise, they said they can't repair this. They said because the two nails are so close to each other (about 1 1/2 inches from each other) then don't have enough room to put a patch on each individual hole. The patch is about an 1" in diameter and must be centered on each hole they said. Is is true, or is he BS'ing me? I ask why they can't try use 1 patch to cover both holes, they said they're not allowed to do that. They want to order a brand new tire at $250 but giving me $100 credit since my tire is virtually brand new - so $150 for a new tire plus $19 mounting and taxes. Only purchase the tires 5 months ago with only 500 miles driven on the tires. Seems crazy they can't fix two tiny pin holes and I have to buy a brand new tire. I didn't get road hazard certificate when I purchased the tired...damn it should have thought about that.
He's giving you good advice. That's where the Road Hazard warranty comes in handy to replace the damaged tire.
Old 07-24-19, 04:31 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by soulless
from my experience discount tire and big brand places follow strict guidelines on what's repairable or not due to liability (like repairing too close to sidewall etc). i think in this case you might have better luck finding a independent shop try to patch it up for you (but you'll probably have to pay them a little bit) in order to get it fixed

That's the thing though, it's smack in the middle of the tread, not anywhere near a sidewall. I'll try going to another shop to see if they can do repair. I understand America's Tire don't want liability for improper repair but in this case I feel the tire is repairable.
Old 07-24-19, 04:41 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Just called America's Tire back to inquire if I can still purchase Road Hazard warranty if I get the tire repaired somewhere else. They said NO, because the work is not done by them...totally understandable.. Oh well need to cough up $326.50 for a new tire, mounting and 4 road hazard warranty. Damn it hate these unexpected repair bill.
Old 07-24-19, 04:41 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

That's the thing though, it's smack in the middle of the tread, not anywhere near a sidewall. I'll try going to another shop to see if they can do repair. I understand America's Tire don't want liability for improper repair but in this case I feel the tire is repairable.
I'm sure you can find a shop that will patch the two holes for you. You can even repair the two holes from the outside with plugs instead of putting patches on the inside. Repairing a tire with a patch from the inside is better than repairing it from the outside with a plug. If you are okay with using plugs in the two holes that are just an inch apart I'm sure you can find someone that will do that for you, but are you sure you want to go against what a major tire store recommends?
Old 07-24-19, 05:25 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 107 Posts

for our shop when we see that the nail is that close to each other we recommend new tire and dont fix it. we do the patch from inside to outside. the patch is a big O from the inside so if its that close the patch will overlap each other and doesnt seal well and will leak again.
Old 07-24-19, 05:26 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

America's Tire Shop is correct. The two nails are too close to each other and you cannot double patch them because the patch will overlap each other. You also cannot use one patch to cover both nailed areas because it would not be a proper repair.

I've run into this situation before and a "hole-in-the-wall" shop walked me through the explanation which I found entirely plausible. They rather not do it than to take $20 from me. It was not about the money at all.

You can always buy a self-Plug kit and put in two plugs on your own. But realistically speaking, it would be unsafe to do so. You will be putting your family and passengers at risk if you ever get a massive blow-out on the freeway and you end up losing control of the vehicle.

It's not good money spent but $150 for safety is nothing to laugh at if you can just take a deep breath and a step back, to think about what you are truly paying for.

Last edited by azipod; 07-24-19 at 05:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jdpdata (07-24-19)
Old 07-24-19, 05:35 PM
bumada
Driver

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

I would get a plug kit from Amazon and plug each hole.
Old 07-24-19, 05:48 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by richard203
for our shop when we see that the nail is that close to each other we recommend new tire and dont fix it. we do the patch from inside to outside. the patch is a big O from the inside so if its that close the patch will overlap each other and doesnt seal well and will leak again.
Exactly what America's Tire told me. Will be getting a new tire tomorrow. Now I'm nervous about them scratching my rim when they mount.
Old 07-24-19, 05:50 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by azipod
America's Tire Shop is correct. The two nails are too close to each other and you cannot double patch them because the patch will overlap each other. You also cannot use one patch to cover both nailed areas because it would not be a proper repair.

I've run into this situation before and a "hole-in-the-wall" shop walked me through the explanation which I found entirely plausible. They rather not do it than to take $20 from me. It was not about the money at all.

You can always buy a self-Plug kit and put in two plugs on your own. But realistically speaking, it would be unsafe to do so. You will be putting your family and passengers at risk if you ever get a massive blow-out on the freeway and you end up losing control of the vehicle.

It's not good money spent but $150 for safety is nothing to laugh at if you can just take a deep breath and a step back, to think about what you are truly paying for.
True. Plus I want to get road hazard warranty so I have to buy a new tire. Oh well it's only money, can't take it with you when you die.
Old 07-25-19, 08:59 AM
Coolchuck
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

True. Plus I want to get road hazard warranty so I have to buy a new tire. Oh well it's only money, can't take it with you when you die.
Road hazard is worth it , especially with our exspensive tires.
jdpdata (07-25-19)
Old 07-25-19, 09:32 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by Coolchuck
Road hazard is worth it , especially with our exspensive tires.
True that. At $250 a piece, it's painful to replace a tire so soon. Damnit I should have got road hazard when I purchased the tires months ago. Lesson learned.
Old 07-25-19, 09:47 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I presume you are getting the Road Hazard warranty on all four tires - three tires that have some mileage on them and the one new tire?

Last edited by bclexus; 07-25-19 at 11:23 AM.
jdpdata (07-25-19)
Old 07-25-19, 09:56 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by bclexus
I presume you getting the Road Hazard warranty on all four - three tires that have some mileage on them and the one new tire?
Yes sir. $35 per tire is a good insurance to avoid coughing up more $$$ in the future for replacements.

Quick Reply: Nails in tire - Unrepairable