GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS vs ES

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-19, 04:30 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by NickMayer
Well, they are comparable. Though suffice it to say the ES and Avalon right very identical. And eco mode on my GS feels pretty damn cozy.
I agree. I really enjoy driving my GS F-Sport in Eco mode. The ride is noticeably softer and smoother than Normal mode & the steering is a touch lighter and less twitchy with less feedback, especially on the freeway. Very comfortable & great for cruising around in. Could’ve been called “comfort mode” rather than Eco, IMO. But with 19” wheels and low profile tires & the overall sporty nature of the GS, probably won’t be as numb as an ES (numb being the keyword here).
Old 08-11-19, 04:41 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
There is no setting for the GS that will make it as 'soft and floaty' as an Avalon.
Well, they are comparable. Though suffice it to say the ES and Avalon right very identical. And eco mode on my GS feels pretty damn cozy.
ECO, NORMAL and SPORT drive modes all have the same suspension firmness. ECO mode does not alter the suspension...and neither does NORMAL or SPORT modes. Only F-Sport and Luxury models have the SPORT S+ that tighten the suspension.

SPORT S/S+ MODES

Sport S mode changes the gauge-cluster lighting to a fiery red and alters the powertrain for faster gear changes and more dynamic throttle mapping. Available Sport S+ mode goes a step further by also tightening the suspension and increasing steering response. In both modes, the transmission's shift points are automatically altered coming into and out of corners for sharper acceleration.

NORMAL MODE

Normal mode provides the optimal balance of fuel efficiency, engine performance and, on F SPORT–equipped models, the degree of road feel.

ECO MODE

In ECO mode, a calming blue light surrounds the gauge cluster, while the throttle response and engine power output are moderated for increased fuel efficiency. Other vehicle systems are also optimized for reduced power consumption.

Reference http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/performance (Click Drive Mode Select > Click Learn More)
The following users liked this post:
Boomin (08-11-19)
Old 08-11-19, 04:47 PM
signdetres
Racer

@bclexus you can post the same dated charts/screenshots all you want, but it’s simply not true. In my experience with my ‘18 GS F-Sport, Eco has softer damping than Normal. Normal has softer damping than Sport S. Sport S has softer damping than Sport S+. You can argue all you’d like, but you’re incorrect and I stand by my statements.
Old 08-11-19, 04:52 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by signdetres
@bclexus you can post the same dated charts/screenshots all you want, but it’s simply not true. In my experience with my ‘18 GS F-Sport, Eco has softer damping than Normal. Normal has softer damping than Sport S. Sport S has softer damping than Sport S+. You can argue all you’d like, but you’re incorrect and I stand by my statements.
You can take up your argument with Lexus.

Click this linkhttp://www.lexus.com/models/GS/performance (Look for Drive Mode Select > Then click Learn More) Read what Lexus says!
Old 08-11-19, 04:54 PM
signdetres
Racer

I have no arguments to take up with Lexus. I love the softer more floaty ride they’ve programmed into Eco mode and think they did a great job.
Old 08-11-19, 04:56 PM
ChronoR
Pole Position

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Even with the adjustable dampers, the difference isn't very large in the first place (my GS has the Sport+ mode).

And it certainly can't change the characteristics from GS-sharp to ES-floaty. With that said, if your mind makes you feel that your GS can become floaty with a twist of a ****, that's your enjoyment that I ought not take away.
Old 08-11-19, 05:02 PM
signdetres
Racer

Your GS doesn’t have AVS, so please, continue speaking without first-hand experience.
Old 08-11-19, 05:07 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Your GS doesn’t have AVS, so please, continue speaking without first-hand experience.
I don't know why you don't believe Lexus!

Here...

Old 08-11-19, 05:14 PM
signdetres
Racer

Please provide a chart that is in reference to 2016+ facelift GS models and not from 2012 when the GS was first released.

I’ve stated countless times that our 2015 pre-facelift GS behaves as described in that chart, but our 2018 facelift GS does not.

I have many years and many miles of experience behind the wheel of both new and old versions of the 4GS with every system offered from AVS to VGRS to rear wheel steering but if you somehow believe you know best with your pre-facelift GS that doesn’t even have any of the systems we’re discussing, I can’t help you with that. You’re entitled to believe you know how the systems function, even though you haven’t experienced them day in and day out.
Old 08-11-19, 05:52 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

@bclexus you can post the same dated charts/screenshots all you want, but it’s simply not true.In my experience with my ‘18 GS F-Sport, Eco has softer damping than Normal. Normal has softer damping than Sport S. Sport S has softer damping than Sport S+. You can argue all you’d like, but you’re incorrect and I stand by my statements.

Please provide a chart that is in reference to 2016+ facelift GS models and not from 2012 when the GS was first released.

I’ve stated countless times that our 2015 pre-facelift GS behaves as described in that chart, but our 2018 facelift GS does not.

I have many years and many miles of experience behind the wheel of both new and old versions of the 4GS with every system offered from AVS to VGRS to rear wheel steering but if you somehow believe you know best with your pre-facelift GS that doesn’t even have any of the systems we’re discussing, I can’t help you with that. You’re entitled to believe you know how the systems function, even though you haven’t experienced them day in and day out.
You must be talking about the 'automatic' damping force adjustments to the shock absorbers based on driving conditions and road surface conditions. As noted in the image below; "Its absorber control ECU estimates the vehicle conditions based on the signals from sensors and the switches. Then, the absorber control ECU actuates the absorber control actuator, varies the flow of oil, and controls the damping force." (Note: The change in absorber firmness is based on 'driving conditions and road surfaces'. This cannot be controlled by the driver and is constantly changing based on 'driving conditions and road surfaces', not which Drive Mode the driver selects. It has nothing to do with Drive Mode as you suggest.)

As noted in the image below; "By operating the drive mode select, the driver can select 2 types of damping forces for the shock absorber assemblies."

Repeat - By operating the drive mode select, the driver can select 2 types of damping forces for the shock absorber assemblies. Only two (2) types of damping forces can be selected - ECO, STANDARD & SPORT are all the same damping force...with SPORT S+ being firmer.

Here ya go...

I hope this helps you to understand the AVS on your car. What you are probably feeling is the 'automatic' damping force adjustments to the shock absorbers based on driving conditions and road surface conditions. It has noting to do with Drive Modes...

Last edited by bclexus; 08-11-19 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-11-19, 06:34 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Moderator edit

Azipod, please exit this thread and drop this going forwards. Inappropriate for our community.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-11-19 at 07:41 PM. Reason: edited
Old 08-11-19, 07:11 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
Only in this forum will you find someone suggest a supra to a guy who owns an Avalon and LS and is shopping for something similar, lol
I just watched a couple of YouTube videos with a few guys taking delivery of theirs... the Supra was on my mind... and the with price point being similar... I might be a Supra owner in the next year or so.
So if this GS guy is considering a switch... hey, someone might be thinking like me.
BTW, it is surprising that the ES has grown so much... a couple of inches longer than the GS.
Old 08-11-19, 07:40 PM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by chinee
I just watched a couple of YouTube videos with a few guys taking delivery of theirs... the Supra was on my mind... and the with price point being similar... I might be a Supra owner in the next year or so.
So if this GS guy is considering a switch... hey, someone might be thinking like me.
BTW, it is surprising that the ES has grown so much... a couple of inches longer than the GS.
youre not afraid of the german powertrain?
Old 08-12-19, 09:26 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
ECO, NORMAL and SPORT drive modes all have the same suspension firmness. ECO mode does not alter the suspension...and neither does NORMAL or SPORT modes. Only F-Sport and Luxury models have the SPORT S+ that tighten the suspension.

SPORT S/S+ MODES

Sport S mode changes the gauge-cluster lighting to a fiery red and alters the powertrain for faster gear changes and more dynamic throttle mapping. Available Sport S+ mode goes a step further by also tightening the suspension and increasing steering response. In both modes, the transmission's shift points are automatically altered coming into and out of corners for sharper acceleration.

NORMAL MODE

Normal mode provides the optimal balance of fuel efficiency, engine performance and, on F SPORT–equipped models, the degree of road feel.

ECO MODE

In ECO mode, a calming blue light surrounds the gauge cluster, while the throttle response and engine power output are moderated for increased fuel efficiency. Other vehicle systems are also optimized for reduced power consumption.

Reference http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/performance (Click Drive Mode Select > Click Learn More)
I don't wish to interfere in this lovers quarrel, but since you quoted my post as well, lol.

You posted, "ECO MODE

In ECO mode, a calming blue light surrounds the gauge cluster, while the throttle response and engine power output are moderated for increased fuel efficiency. Other vehicle systems are also optimized for reduced power consumption."

And I mentioned that ECO mode drove cozy. Which it does. Systems are optimized, throttle response and engine power are moderated. This is factors into the 'cozy' part. So the point stands. I care little for the suspension differences as even though I have Sport+ mode, I never use it. I do love that Sport and + have their own modes so that when I want the engine to beef up I can do that and leave steering and suspension alone.

So the GS is never going to be as muted as the ES/Avalon, in ECO mode they are "comparable"

Old 08-12-19, 09:43 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I don't wish to interfere in this lovers quarrel, but since you quoted my post as well, lol.

You posted, "ECO MODE

In ECO mode, a calming blue light surrounds the gauge cluster, while the throttle response and engine power output are moderated for increased fuel efficiency. Other vehicle systems are also optimized for reduced power consumption."

And I mentioned that ECO mode drove cozy. Which it does. Systems are optimized, throttle response and engine power are moderated. This is factors into the 'cozy' part. So the point stands. I care little for the suspension differences as even though I have Sport+ mode, I never use it. I do love that Sport and + have their own modes so that when I want the engine to beef up I can do that and leave steering and suspension alone.

So the GS is never going to be as muted as the ES/Avalon, in ECO mode they are "comparable"

From a throttle response standpoint, comparing the GS 350 in ECO mode with the ES/Avalon would be a fair. However, I think most people would include the suspension when comparing the ride of the GS 350 with the ride of the ES/Avalon, especially when words like 'soft' and 'floaty' are used to describe it.

You could even put the car in 'Snow' mode and take off in 2nd gear for an even more subdued throttle response.

Quick Reply: GS vs ES