GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS vs ES

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-19, 09:47 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
From a throttle response standpoint, comparing the GS 350 in ECO mode with the ES/Avalon would be a fair. However, I think most people would include the suspension when comparing the ride of the GS 350 with the ride of the ES/Avalon, especially when words like 'soft' and 'floaty' are used to describe it.

You could even put the car in 'Snow' mode and take off in 2nd gear for an even more subdued throttle response.
Yea, i try and stay away from words like soft and floaty, because that described my ES.
I mean, I'm sure if you put ES in sport and drove it like you stole, it *might* start comparing with GS in eco, 😂

But no, the suspension never would feel the same. I had 2 es's before my GS and it is night and day. Though driving style will always contribute.

I've wondered about snow mode out of idle curiosity. I've not looked it up, but I assumed it locked awd system at 50/50 or something.
Old 08-12-19, 09:59 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by NickMayer
Yea, i try and stay away from words like soft and floaty, because that described my ES.
I mean, I'm sure if you put ES in sport and drove it like you stole, it *might* start comparing with GS in eco, 😂

But no, the suspension never would feel the same. I had 2 es's before my GS and it is night and day. Though driving style will always contribute.

I've wondered about snow mode out of idle curiosity. I've not looked it up, but I assumed it locked awd system at 50/50 or something.
'Snow mode' has the transmission start in 2nd gear instead of 1st gear. Your GS 350 AWD's transmission should do the same when in 'Snow mode'. It's not linked in any way to the AWD feature to my knowledge.
Old 08-12-19, 10:14 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Neither my 15 nor my 19 GS start in second gear in snow mode. My 14 IS350 also started in first in snow mode. But throttle response was sort of like an eco-plus mode. Very gentle and dull.
Old 08-12-19, 10:48 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

'Snow mode' has the transmission start in 2nd gear instead of 1st gear. Your GS 350 AWD's transmission should do the same when in 'Snow mode'. It's not linked in any way to the AWD feature to my knowledge.
Interesting... Wife's SUV just locks in 50/50 mode, which is why I figured that would be similar on other cars.
Originally Posted by JDR76
Neither my 15 nor my 19 GS start in second gear in snow mode. My 14 IS350 also started in first in snow mode. But throttle response was sort of like an eco-plus mode. Very gentle and dull.
I've not tested (nor looked up), but I'll admit the 2nd gear thing sounded odd. Eco plus mode huh? I wonder if that gets it closer to feeling like a ES? lol
Old 08-12-19, 10:50 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by GSRockstar
youre not afraid of the german powertrain?
I was, but decided to take the stance... if it’s good enough for Toyota....

i say a year but it’s probably closer to 2 years. And by then maybe the most obvious drivetrain issues will be documented.

This GS vs ES thread has certainly devolved into something totally different... The OP must think we’re nuts over here... I think we just lost a new member... lol.
The following users liked this post:
NickMayer (08-12-19)
Old 08-12-19, 10:54 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Originally Posted by chinee
The OP must think we’re nuts over here
Think?

He knows... HAHA
Old 08-12-19, 10:58 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Old 08-12-19, 11:03 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Maybe on the RWD? Definitely not on my AWD versions. The below was from my IS. Unfortunately on the GS, there is no tidy display like this. So I checked it out by gently rolling from a stop in snow mode then clicking to Manual mode, which pops up M1 on the display. I then confirmed by gently accelerating from a stop to 50 in snow mode, counting gear changes. It went from 1-6.

NickMayer (08-12-19)
Old 08-12-19, 11:04 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Thanks for clarifying. Didn't get much snow this past winter so never got to test Snow mode. What's the a19/a21 mean for the * with and w/o AVS?
Old 08-12-19, 11:13 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe on the RWD? Definitely not on my AWD versions. The below was from my IS. Unfortunately on the GS, there is no tidy display like this. So I checked it out by gently rolling from a stop in snow mode then clicking to Manual mode, which pops up M1 on the display. I then confirmed by gently accelerating from a stop to 50 in snow mode, counting gear changes. It went from 1-6.
Note in the image (below) that it says; "When the shift lever is in D, the transmission automatically shifts up through 3rd to 6th as usual." It could be that when you select Manual mode (in lieu of D) it negates (cancels out or overrides) the Snow mode, thus starting the vehicle in 1st gear instead of 2nd gear.

Old 08-12-19, 11:16 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Note in the image (below) that it says; "When the shift lever is in D, the transmission automatically shifts up through 3rd to 6th as usual." It could be that when you select Manual mode (in lieu of D) it negates (cancels out or overrides) the Snow mode, thus starting the vehicle in 1st gear instead of 2nd gear.
That's a good thought but that IS picture (with same engine/transmission/AWD system as my GSs) was in D, not M. Also, like I said, I've counted gear changes in D and the time I did the switch to manual I made sure to be rolling first. When I got up to about 5 mph I flipped it into M and M1 popped up without a gear change. You can also start off in D then click up upshift paddle and watch it switch to 2.

But we are way off track.
Old 08-12-19, 11:22 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

What year is that document from, bc? I ask because it looks like it's talking about the old transmission ECT Snow/PWR combination switch from the 3rd gen. If that's the case, perhaps they changed it on the 4th gen.
NickMayer (08-12-19)
Old 08-12-19, 11:36 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

That's a good thought but that IS picture (with same engine/transmission/AWD system as my GSs) was in D, not M. Also, like I said, I've counted gear changes in D and the time I did the switch to manual I made sure to be rolling first. When I got up to about 5 mph I flipped it into M and M1 popped up without a gear change. You can also start off in D then click up upshift paddle and watch it switch to 2.

But we are way off track.
One of the [so-called] Lexus tests is for the technician to select Snow mode and accelerate at full throttle, then compare the acceleration with the Snow mode turned Off. This should provide the technician with a difference since the Snow mode starts in a higher gear, which would provide less acceleration.

There are numerous test procedures (voltages, resistance, etc.) to various shift valves and harness plugs 'if' the Snow mode does not start in 2nd gear.
Old 08-12-19, 11:47 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

What year is that document from, bc? I ask because it looks like it's talking about the old transmission ECT Snow/PWR combination switch from the 3rd gen. If that's the case, perhaps they changed it on the 4th gen.
This comes from the Lexus Tech Manual that does not provide a date other than "2012 - ". I presume it provides technical information for the GS 350 beginning in 2012, but I do not know how far it continues.
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
JDR76 (08-12-19), NickMayer (08-12-19)
Old 08-12-19, 12:03 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Just to be clear on the discussion of Drive Modes - this link reference to Lexus' GS 350 web page is for model year 2019: http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/performance (Click Drive Mode Select > Click Learn More)

It should be noted that the information pertaining to 'Drive Modes' in the above link (GS/performance) has not changed in any year since it came out in 2012. In other words, the link address has not changed, however Lexus just updates (changes) the model year date on the web page to the current year.

Quick Reply: GS vs ES