GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is a Lexus GS 350 F Sport a good first car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-19, 08:31 PM
gabriel18
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is a Lexus GS 350 F Sport a good first car?

Ok, so I am trying to find my first car and I have questions regarding the Lexus GS 350 F Sport. To start I want to know how reliable the car is? I have heard not only on YouTube but people who drive older Lexus cars and swear by them. They talk about how reliable Lexus is and end up recommending me to get a Lexus as my first car. I have found older models for a good price however, I am kinda weary about the mileage on some of the examples I have found. The year that I am looking for is 2013-2015 as they are affordable however, it’s the mileage that worries me. I don’t know if I should buy a Lexus that has 45k-80k(or more). If anyone can provide information about this particular car that will be great! By the way another car I am interested in is the Lexus IS 350. I also need all-wheel-drive and navigation in the car that I choose. Thank you to anyone that can help me out, I appreciate it very much!
Old 08-12-19, 04:46 AM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

As a first car i wouldnt recommend getting a 50k dollar car no. id recommend getting something much older and cheaper and basic, why? its going to get scratched and dinged as you learn how to drive. its going to get neglected as you learn what maintenance needs to be done and the costs assosciated with owning and maintaining a car. do you want to spend 20-30k on a car thats going to get beat up and abused? get a beater for 2-3 years and then when youre and experienced driver/car owner, THEN spend money on something nicer.

The powertrain in this car has no issues, i bought my 2013 awd gs350 a year and a half ago with 50k on it, it now has 80k, no issues except a radiator fan that needed replacing. many people here have the same story. its a good car.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (08-12-19)
Old 08-12-19, 04:49 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

My 2013 GS 450h has about 95k miles on it no issues, only basic maintenance.
Old 08-12-19, 06:36 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Pardon the question, but what exactly do you mean by "first car"?

Do you mean that you're 16 and get to pick out something? In this case, I would not go for a GS.

But if you mean you have been driving around a car that was perhaps loaned or gifted to you, and now maybe you've finished college and/or have a good job, and are ready to go out and buy your first car, then I say the GS could potentially be a good car for that scenario.
The following 7 users liked this post by JDR76:
Albo (08-12-19), baconRx (08-14-19), Im2bz2p345 (08-12-19), jessalynn (08-12-19), NickMayer (08-12-19), RichardB23 (08-12-19), UDel (08-12-19) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-12-19, 09:00 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

You left out the most important details. How old are you? Are you in high school, college? Around what are you making, do you have a lot of disposable money, debt, starting a family, etc?

If you are in high school or college, these are not good cars when it comes to a financial choice, no luxury car is. They are expensive to insure, require premium, don't get great fuel economy, pricey to maintain if you do it at the dealership, repairs can be very expensive, your young friends are likely going to be rough on the interior, cars often get dinged and damaged at high schools and colleges, they attract unwanted attention from haters and cops, you are not likely going to appreciate it at a young age or will expect a luxury type car for the rest of your life no matter what your situation is. No I would not recommend a GS350 F Sport for a high school or college student or someone starting out/furthering their education who will need to make monthly payments. Save your money, get a used reliable econo car, then you will appreciate a Lexus/luxury car much more when you are not in debt, making more money if that is what you want.

As far as reliability, they are reliable, few trouble spots, pricey to insure for some reason so if you are older they are a better choice then a German or British lux car.
gs350lex (08-12-19)
Old 08-12-19, 09:16 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Agree with everything said here already, age and circumstances would help us give you specific advice.

But the GS in an excellent car, and will go forever. Depending on how you take care of it, it will look amazing as well.

But I would not have wanted this as my first car, or my 2nd, lol, just due to how careless I was. But that is just me.
gs350lex (08-12-19)
Old 08-12-19, 09:18 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
Pardon the question, but what exactly do you mean by "first car"?

Do you mean that you're 16 and get to pick out something? In this case, I would not go for a GS.

But if you mean you have been driving around a car that was perhaps loaned or gifted to you, and now maybe you've finished college and/or have a good job, and are ready to go out and buy your first car, then I say the GS could potentially be a good car for that scenario.
Relax guys it could be "first car" he has ever purchased. Meaning hes already driving some used car his parents gave him.

I was 22 when I bought my first car and previously(from age of 17) used a car my parents gave me. Bought the GS when I was 28.
gs350lex (08-12-19)
Old 08-12-19, 09:22 AM
IcyBishop
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 68 Posts

For a first car if you just got your license I would target the IS before the GS. Both can be had in AWD so that will help in NY.
The IS is smaller, not as powerful, should be more affordable, cheaper insurance, and will get better gas mileage. All good things for a first car.
If you were dead set on a GS I'd start with a 3rd gen to see if you like the size and power. Beat on it for a few years and save your cash to get something nice that won't get **** on at college or parties.

Overall Toyo/Lex are extremely reliable. Cost of ownership over the life of the car is usually less than other brands so you may pay more up front but less over time.
gs350lex (08-12-19)
Old 08-12-19, 10:09 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by peasodos
Relax guys it could be "first car" he has ever purchased. Meaning hes already driving some used car his parents gave him.

I was 22 when I bought my first car and previously(from age of 17) used a car my parents gave me. Bought the GS when I was 28.
Perfectly relaxed, thanks. Just asking for more information so we can offer the best advice.
The following 3 users liked this post by JDR76:
gs350lex (08-12-19), NickMayer (08-12-19), RichardB23 (08-12-19)
Old 08-12-19, 11:11 AM
gabriel18
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry I couldn’t respond earlier everyone, I wasn’t home and connection was bad. But to clear things up I am 20 years old and I have used my parents car for a while. I’ve had my license since 17 and now that I need to commute for a new job I need a car. I’ve heard how reliable Lexus vehicles are and it started with the Lexus RX 330 specifically the 2004 model year. I’m not interested in a car that old but I definitely don’t mind one that is a couple years newer. I can do 15k-20k for a car preferably cheaper of course but it’s not impossible.

The following 3 users liked this post by gabriel18:
gs350lex (08-12-19), JDR76 (08-12-19), NickMayer (08-12-19)
Old 08-12-19, 11:16 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gabriel18
Sorry I couldn’t respond earlier everyone, I wasn’t home and connection was bad. But to clear things up I am 20 years old and I have used my parents car for a while. I’ve had my license since 17 and now that I need to commute for a new job I need a car. I’ve heard how reliable Lexus vehicles are and it started with the Lexus RX 330 specifically the 2004 model year. I’m not interested in a car that old but I definitely don’t mind one that is a couple years newer. I can do 15k-20k for a car preferably cheaper of course but it’s not impossible.
I was right you using your parents car and buying your first car. You should have no problem finding a 2013-2015 GS in your price range. 80k miles is normal for a 6 year old car. Of course lower is better, but these cars for the most part are problem free with normal maintenance. Keep us updated after you buy your GS.
The following 2 users liked this post by peasodos:
gs350lex (08-12-19), RichardB23 (08-12-19)
Old 08-12-19, 11:50 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Honestly If I was you I would not buy a GS350 F-sport as my first car. Brakes and tires on this car are fairly expensive for a young driver and even though the purchase cost of this car may have gone down and doesn't seem too expensive; you can't forget the higher mileage ones may be more prone to more issues such as leaking struts which is a known issue on the F-Sports and the luxury models with AVS and cost quite a bit.

It's none of my business or anyone else's of how much you make but if I was you and I didn't have rich parents who could help me pay for repairs I would definitely not buy the GS as my first car. Now if your making a good chunk of money ( at least $80,000 or above) then by all means do what you want. Also at your age you need to start thinking about saving for a house/condo but that's a totally different topic I won't address as its none of my business as what you choose to do.

If your dead set on a Lexus with AWD get an older IS 250(smaller engine and main issue is with carbon build up) or 350 (which you can avoid the carbon buildup issue as it has port injection and duel injection but gas will be more expensive). You can also use aftermarket brakes on the older IS's without any issue. They are also rock solid and much cheaper to purchase. Also if you chose an older IS350 its quicker not that I encourage you to race or anything.

That's my 2 cents hope its somewhat helpful.
The following 2 users liked this post by gs350lex:
jonathancl (08-15-19), RichardB23 (08-12-19)
Old 08-12-19, 12:34 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gabriel18
Thanks for clarifying with some more info. This helps.

I'm not sure what your budget will be like, but I don't think the GS would be a bad fit for you. The AWD version is okay on brakes, at least in my experience. Tires too. Insurance is a bit high, as is gas costs. If you can stomach those, then I think it's a fine choice.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDR76:
NickMayer (08-12-19), RichardB23 (08-12-19)
Old 08-12-19, 12:41 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 206 Posts

You can save some money by working on the car yourself; it is a good first car if you drive responsibly.The GS is like driving on EASY mode; with the rear view camera, distance sensors and rear cross traffic alerts it may make you a little complacent when driving a different car, just something to keep in mind. I know I have to remind myself that my other car doesnt have a camera or alerts when i drive it.
Old 08-12-19, 01:05 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

20 years old is too young in my opinion for a luxury car or car like the GS. Save your money, get a used econo car or Accord with less miles on it. You aren't really going to appreciate a car like a GS at your age and insurance is going to cost a lot, for some stupid reason the insurance on these cars are very high, higher then many V8 luxury cars so it is going to be brutal for a 20 year old. You will likely be going to college, in college, some further education which means the car may be parked at a campus, nice cars are targeted by haters and cops, I saw it all the time when I was in college. Gas is going to be expensive, it is not the most fuel efficient car.

No sense spending a bunch of money on a car, insurance, gas, maintenance, at your age, wait and get the nicer car when you are older and are a little more settled to know if you can or should really buy it.

Quick Reply: Is a Lexus GS 350 F Sport a good first car?