GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

'19 GS 350 vs '19 Kia Stinger GT2

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-19, 10:34 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

If one day Lexus wakes up and drops the TTV6 from the LS to the GS, this thing would be perfect. But we don't drive on the race tracks everyday and the current powertrain is more than enough to get u in big trouble most of the time already.
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (08-21-19)
Old 08-17-19, 12:04 AM
JLRespTher
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not a fan of how the "hump" looks like when viewing at an angle from the c-pillar and back, it almost looks like a bloated Audi A7. With that said, the difference in power and tech isn't enough to make my mind up over the reliability of a Kia when comparing to a Lexus,

Now obviously the bias is strong here since this is a Lexus forum but I highly suggest like the other member above who posted to go ahead visit Kia forums and really talk to the car people there before making a decision.
Old 08-17-19, 07:06 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Update:

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
That GS looks just like mine but it has the triple LED headlights! Dammit that looks sexy. Nick u'd be a fool not to pick the GS!!!!

Well let me know ur thoughts on the 2 cars after the longer test drives.

I feel that the Korean cars designs are trying to copy Benz, BMW, Audi and they always end up looking like a knockoff from all blended together. At least Lexus' designs are original.
Now that you mention that I can kinda see it, though I am still going to get a longer test drive on the Kia.

That said, after a few hours last night the tech additions in the '19 are GREAT. I even found myself loving the brake hold at red lights thing. ANd I used the adaptive cruise in rush hour traffic on way home, that is to die for. ANd while both cars have both of those, you'd be a fool to not realize Lexus probably does it better, especially from a reliability standpoint.

Originally Posted by drgrant
If that's the mentality you have,, then why even bother with a Lexus? The whole point of these cars is to keep them and put serious miles on it and not worry about it. If you're going to dump a car every 3 years you're better off buying a lightly used Audi or something, then you can dump it before the miles are up, etc.

-Mike
Wait, you *honestly* think the only reason to get a Lexus is to pile miles on it? I get that is just like, your opinion man, but boy you couldn't be further from the truth. Lexus=Luxury, comfort, and a great driving experience, *for me*. So I politely disagree.
One of the only reasons I'd go with anything other than a lexus is that they are stuck in stone age with tech. I mean, you can't get android auto on any toyota, and GS doesn't even have apple car play. For most regular people, the tech sells these cars as much as the brand/reliability.

Originally Posted by AJLex19
A think a '19 GS F Sport is going to drive quite a bit different compared to your '15 Lux. Even if you go with the GS, I think you might miss the 18way semi-aniline seats and the nice balance b/w comfort/luxury/sport the Lux model offers. Unfortunately, there's no Lux GS available anymore and its a shame...

However, there is always the car "feeling" like something substantial. When you drive a car like the GS, its size, presence and feel are obvious. The heavy in a good way things feel add to it as well: like gripping the wheel, pressing a button or even closing the door. The GS is comfortable and classy when you just wanna cruise and dialed up just enough when you want to let loose.

To me, if the Kia also brings that type of presence/feel/balance for $50k, I'd say go for the newer kid on the block...but how can you know if you don't take the chance?
I've been worrying about that. So far it is subtle (drove like 40 miles in it yesterday), but I can tell a difference. But everything feels solid, and 'Lexus-like' as I expected. I love my '15, but I love new things and technology. I'd consider getting a car just for adapative and hold brake option to help me not go insane on my commute every morning.
In ECO mode the '19 feels a bit more ECO than my '15 did, if that makes sense. Like the sifts were noticeably slower or something. When I took a harder turn at 30ish, it didn't feel as nice as with my '15. SMall sample size though...

Still going to drive the Kia for a while longer and take my time. I am not an impulse buyer, (which car salespeople hate, lol) so def taking my time and being sure. Also, this car has been being used my Sales Manager, there is 5k miles on it. They better give a substantial discount or this isn't happening at all. This is the cloest to the spec I want, and the one one close they have. It's this, the Kia, or nothing and I'll be more than happy with my '15 Lux.

Originally Posted by JDR76
I almost bought a Stinger earlier this year. Fantastic cars and the power was intoxicating. They’re $52k or so loaded, but easy to get at least $8k off, making them substantially cheaper than the GS.

I also think they’re one of the best looking cars on the road. Engine has been in use by Genesis for years and is pretty proven.

In in the end, I stuck with the GS (traded my 15 for a 19) because the Kia’s handling wasn’t as good and because the Stinger forum pointed to lots of minor issues, like a very common hatch rattle, premature leather wear, etc.

I still gawk at the Stinger and love them. I think they’re awesome. But the experience with my 15 GS was too good to make the switch. Never a rattle, very solid, worry free. Not nearly as powerful or fast in a straight line as the Stinger, but it’s just such a good all-around vehicle.
Completely agree, love my '15 and while both cars are amazing, they really need to wow me.
I met wife for dinner last night in the GS and there was a brand new Stinger in my spec (gray /w red) parked out front, so I got to compare both. Stinger looks sick, but not in the same way I love the GS, especially the F sport...
Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
If one day Lexus wakes up and drops the TTV6 from the LS to the GS, this thing would be perfect. But we don't drive on the race tracks everyday and the current powertrain is more than enough to get u in big trouble most of the time already.
TTV6 and I'll overnight my money to Lexus
Originally Posted by JLRespTher
I'm not a fan of how the "hump" looks like when viewing at an angle from the c-pillar and back, it almost looks like a bloated Audi A7. With that said, the difference in power and tech isn't enough to make my mind up over the reliability of a Kia when comparing to a Lexus,

Now obviously the bias is strong here since this is a Lexus forum but I highly suggest like the other member above who posted to go ahead visit Kia forums and really talk to the car people there before making a decision.
True, and ultimately that is a big deal. One of the reasons I got my first Lexus ('10 ES) was because the Badge meant something to me, it was a gift to myself for 'making it' and that still hold true.
The following 2 users liked this post by NickMayer:
Chaos236 (03-12-23), pbateson (08-25-19)
Old 08-17-19, 08:10 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 396 Posts

It's good that you get to spend some time with each car. Hopefully you'll have a concrete decision when done with both. It's too bad the GS doesn't have the Stinger performance. Looking forward to your decision. Why Lexus doesn't offer Car Play on some models vs. others is beyond me.
Old 08-17-19, 08:18 AM
Albo
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Lexus wants to appeal to the younger crowd, yet refuses to get moving on putting android auto and apple CarPlay in all their vehicles. Sounds half pregnant to me.
Old 08-17-19, 08:32 AM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

the whole tech thing makes me laugh. i guess im just an old man? i care about the DRIVE how does the car FEEL, im not a “this car doesnt have folding mirrors thats a deal breaker for me” type person, thats just crazy to me. the car drives great, always starts, is comfortable, stereo sounds good, i mean i dont require much more than that, but the backup camera and adaptive cruise control are very nice but i can live without them. ppl are becoming too dependant on technology
drgrant (08-18-19)
Old 08-17-19, 08:36 AM
Albo
Pole Position

Yes well, Lexus wants to compete with not just the "old man" segment, but the new family segment, the younger successful person in their 20s and 30s that are flocking to BMW and MB. Young folk, such as myself, love a car that starts everytime but we expect more in this day and age. It's the microwave society mentality. For those that are in 2hour bumper to bumper commutes, just being able to feel a nice drive isnt everything.
Old 08-17-19, 08:50 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

Technology changes in real-time. Automakers cannot adjust their cars,line,processes that quickly. Just way too many moving parts to add Apple CarPlay.
Old 08-17-19, 10:27 AM
Albo
Pole Position

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...o-vs-carmakers
An older article, but pretty much sums up why some automakers are reluctant to make the switch.
Old 08-18-19, 10:12 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by GSRockstar
the whole tech thing makes me laugh. i guess im just an old man? i care about the DRIVE how does the car FEEL, im not a “this car doesnt have folding mirrors thats a deal breaker for me” type person, thats just crazy to me. the car drives great, always starts, is comfortable, stereo sounds good, i mean i dont require much more than that, but the backup camera and adaptive cruise control are very nice but i can live without them. ppl are becoming too dependant on technology
I also agree. I want to have fun in my car. I personally don't care for the car play as well. I believe its another distraction but that is just my 2 cents. Anyone who have Car play and enjoys it, that's good for you.
drgrant (08-18-19)
Old 08-18-19, 10:16 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts
Default good choice for the GS

[QUOTE=NickMayer;10590394]Update:

Great choice. I has a Kia Optima SX Turbo, but I got rid of it at 35K for my 2014 IS350 F-Sport for a reason. That Kia Stinger is a sexy beast (the hot chick whom I would have a one night stand with) but a reliable Lexus is for the long haul (wife)
Old 08-18-19, 03:40 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 396 Posts

Hey Nick, ya have a weekend update for us? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 08-18-19, 07:46 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

[QUOTE=GibbsLexus;10591124]
Originally Posted by NickMayer
Update:

Great choice. I has a Kia Optima SX Turbo, but I got rid of it at 35K for my 2014 IS350 F-Sport for a reason. That Kia Stinger is a sexy beast (the hot chick whom I would have a one night stand with) but a reliable Lexus is for the long haul (wife)
@GibbsLexus he didn't pick the GS just yet - that was just a pic of the GS that they let him borrow for a longer test drive. I think he's still considering his options but I do like your analogy

@NickMayer any luck with your final decision?
Old 08-18-19, 08:17 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by NickMayer
Wait, you *honestly* think the only reason to get a Lexus is to pile miles on it? I get that is just like, your opinion man, but boy you couldn't be further from the truth. Lexus=Luxury, comfort, and a great driving experience, *for me*. So I politely disagree.
Not only, but it should be a core reason. If you're not driving one of these to expiration, you're ripping yourself off. That is the killer app of the car, it's the reason why I consider Lexus/Toyota over virtually anything else. I look at other cars but frequently just end up disappointed because it's difficult to get long term data on them.

Don't get me wrong, I love my GS, and there isn't anything on the market within its price class that I would swap it for, despite other things being faster, etc. And even at this point, it's well proven.

I just think that if I was forced to run cars only for 3 years, I'd be tempted to pick something else. Then again most of the other lux brands have such ****ty reliability I could see myself killing a new audi, BMW, or MB within 3 years of driving it... who knows.

ETA: WRT Kia/Genesis, if you pay close attention, the interiors in these cars are a joke compared to a Lexus, but I give it another 1-2 years and things are going to start getting serious... imho they are getting better but still firmly in hyundai playskool territory.

One of the only reasons I'd go with anything other than a lexus is that they are stuck in stone age with tech. I mean, you can't get android auto on any toyota, and GS doesn't even have apple car play. For most regular people, the tech sells these cars as much as the brand/reliability.
Meh. That geegaw stuff? That should be like 2% of buying a car. After I have BT streaming, and speakerphone, most everything else is is kinda poiintless, although I can say I like the BSM system and the cross traffic alert when backing, and the camera... Carplay/android auto? meh. I can do without that. I get in my GS, I put music or radio on, and shut the screen off. Any nav crap is done by waze etc. Would it be nice to have that all integrated? Sure... but I'm not going to hinge a car buying decision on it, never in a million years.

One big plus- at least Lexus didnt put its tech on a tablet stuck into the dashboard. That crap is awful. I like the way its set into the GS dashboard...
-Mike
Old 08-19-19, 07:51 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

That tablet on the dash style is getting old real fast.

Quick Reply: '19 GS 350 vs '19 Kia Stinger GT2