GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

'19 GS 350 vs '19 Kia Stinger GT2

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-19, 02:40 PM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by oksir83
The local Kia dealership has a ferris wheel and popcorn machine...at least you get to enjoy a carnival-like atmosphere when you visit the dealer.
lmao

I honestly could go either way but I got such a good deal on my GS I couldn't fathom paying close to $40K for a Stinger. I also have a weekend car that I can scream around in if I'm in the mood to drive fast.
Old 08-29-19, 02:46 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 396 Posts

Nick, are you willing to travel to get a GS or Stinger for a better deal? like fly and drive home. That's what I did.
Old 08-29-19, 06:10 PM
robd88
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by NickMayer
Dude, did you just give me *homework* ?! LMAO

I care way less about what goes on in the service center to be honest. And I've been in Lexus services centers for maintenance for the past 5 years, so pretty comfortable with that aspect. I've been paying attention to user feedback and Kia reviews for that part, so no 'hanging out' in service centers for me! lol
I just gave you something to consider when it comes to expectations. If you've been 'hanging out' in Lexus service centers for the past 5 years, it seems like you don't do your own services and have them performed at the dealer. I was just suggesting to see what it would be like if you owned a Kia to compare the customer treatment and amenities in their service area vs Lexus....that's all. I highly doubt you care less about how you are treated when you drop your car off for service. But if that's not important to you then, I guess it's not important. Class dismissed....ROFL.
Old 08-29-19, 06:58 PM
ZiginTwxas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently looked at both of these cars and liked each. I had a 2013 Infiniti G37 sedan that I was quite fond of. Super clean, about 75k miles, super reliable. But unfortunately it just got totalled because a lady without a valid license decided to make an illegal left turn (going wrong way on 1-way street) right in front of my car. So I needed a new used car. Was looking for 2016 or newer small/mid-size sport/luxury sedan to replace it. Wanted to avoid German cars because of concern about maintenance cost/reliability(have had bad experience) as they get up in miles. Wanted something luxurious, comfortable on long road trips, fun to drive, reliable, AWD or RWD,and to stay below $35. I figure if I can get luxury sport sedan for roughly price of loaded Accord I can tell myself I made a sensible choice. I considered:

Genesis G80 (G70 with TT6 was above my target price) - the base G80 was really nice but driving it felt too big/floaty. I liked the Sport with TT6 but because they only made it last year or 2 even the used ones were more than I wanted to spend.
Kia Stinger- I really liked the GT1 TT6 (drove great, nicely equipped, checked all the boxes) but it was more than I was looking to spend. If I could have waited another year or 2 probably could have gotten used 1 in my price range. The 4 cylinder didn't excite me and bottom-tier GT interior was weak (small screen, lousy stereo).
Lexus GS 350 F-Sport- really nice, drove well, great reliability. Did everything I wanted and would have been happy with it. Runner up but for same price I preferred the Kia.
Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD. This is a fine car and I really wanted to like it. We own a '19 RDX which is fantastic and I have always thought highly of Honda/Acura. But the TLX just seemed a class below everything else I drove. Maybe it is because I know how much nicer the RDX interior is but this isn't a luxury car- it just felt cheap and dated. Accelerated and handled well but didn't feel like a sports sedan. Other than SH-AWD I probably prefer the Accord. The Type S concept looks great and maybe that will be my next car, but this generation was done before it even began.

I ended up picking the Cadillac CTS. I got a 2016 CTS VSport Premium. TT6, superb handling, all the driver tech, luxurious interior (I get it's not an E-Class but what is?), and great styling. Only had it for a few days so far but is beautiful and amazing car. I drove the T4 and V6 also and I think the Caddy 4 gets bad rap. It was plenty peppy, much better than Lexus or Genesis 4. I wanted the upgraded suspension and some of the other features that aren't on the base engine but I honestly wasn't that impressed with the V6. It was fine but I liked Lexus V6 and TLX V6 (and my old Infiniti) engines better. So I checked out the VSport with the TT6 and was instantly sold. And because they depreciate like crazy got it CPO within my budget so have it under warranty for another 60,000 miles.

If you are looking at GS and Stinger, check out the CTS Vsport.
Old 08-30-19, 05:25 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

What am I missing?

You prefer a $90K caddy to those other cars? I realize you got it used, but FFS, it's $90K new. (640hp) That's not even in the same class of vehicle as the GS, or Kia (LOL).

#smh
Old 08-30-19, 06:07 AM
SPM14430
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
What am I missing?

You prefer a $90K caddy to those other cars? I realize you got it used, but FFS, it's $90K new. (640hp) That's not even in the same class of vehicle as the GS, or Kia (LOL).

#smh

Zigin stated he purchased the CTS Vsport premium (420 hp), that's not the CTS-V (640 hp)
The following users liked this post:
ZiginTwxas (08-30-19)
Old 08-30-19, 06:10 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

Gotcha. Nevermind. Cadillac did the same stupid naming convention that Lexus did. (F, F-Sport)
ZiginTwxas (08-30-19)
Old 08-30-19, 06:30 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Lend0
lmao

I honestly could go either way but I got such a good deal on my GS I couldn't fathom paying close to $40K for a Stinger. I also have a weekend car that I can scream around in if I'm in the mood to drive fast.
What's your weekend car?
Originally Posted by charley95
Nick, are you willing to travel to get a GS or Stinger for a better deal? like fly and drive home. That's what I did.
Absolutely, though if I travel somewhere, I'm much more likely to stick with Lexus (which I probably am anyway, who am I kidding).
Originally Posted by robd88
I just gave you something to consider when it comes to expectations. If you've been 'hanging out' in Lexus service centers for the past 5 years, it seems like you don't do your own services and have them performed at the dealer. I was just suggesting to see what it would be like if you owned a Kia to compare the customer treatment and amenities in their service area vs Lexus....that's all. I highly doubt you care less about how you are treated when you drop your car off for service. But if that's not important to you then, I guess it's not important. Class dismissed....ROFL.
I *definitely* do not do my own service. I did change an air filter and cabin filter myself, and I was pretty proud of myself, lol. (youtube video in sig, lol). I am also looking at getting brakes/rotors replaced by a local shop to save the stupid cost Lexus charges.
But I get it, Lexus Rivercenter has a mostly great service center, who will let me drop off my car, even just for air in tires, and since they are right on the river (in ky) they will drive me to work across state lines in Cincinnati and come back to pick me up at 5. It makes any service I do need extremely easy. I would miss that convenience going anywhere else. But that is more about location than anything else.
Now, ca I have a hall pass? This class is boring
Originally Posted by ZiginTwxas
If you are looking at GS and Stinger, check out the CTS Vsport.
I'm a big no for anything GM, hell, anything american for that matter. I will say, I've had a nice Caddy for a week as a rental and it was decent, but no comparison to GS. I also had a lincoln last week for a rental (travel for work) it was massively impressive. It was a MKT which is the ugliest thing I have EVER seen, but the engine (365hp) and tech were amazing! I had a couple gripes, but overall I hadn't thought much of Lincoln and this car changed my mind. I *may* test drive a comparable Lincoln, just to be sure.

Old 08-30-19, 07:29 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Nick, come fly to SoCal and u can probably get the best deal here.
Old 08-30-19, 07:57 AM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Check out the Genesis G70 3.3T Sport AWD. You may be pleasantly surprised. More of a "3" car than GS350 but quite nice.
Old 08-30-19, 08:17 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

The G70 is a great choice too, and you get a luxury nameplate to boot.

My issues with the G70 are that I don't think it looks nearly as good as the Stinger, and the rear seat is very small.
Old 08-30-19, 08:28 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Isn't the G70 comparable to IS, G80 = GS, G90 = LS?
Old 08-30-19, 08:35 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Isn't the G70 comparable to IS, G80 = GS, G90 = LS?
More or less, yeah.
Old 08-30-19, 12:13 PM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Nick, come fly to SoCal and u can probably get the best deal here.
I do love Cali (was just there in July). But I'm guessing RWD there primarily?
Originally Posted by tompass
Check out the Genesis G70 3.3T Sport AWD. You may be pleasantly surprised. More of a "3" car than GS350 but quite nice.
Originally Posted by JDR76
The G70 is a great choice too, and you get a luxury nameplate to boot.

My issues with the G70 are that I don't think it looks nearly as good as the Stinger, and the rear seat is very small.
Nameplate is less important in this case because they are all Hyundai's lol
Old 08-30-19, 01:15 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 396 Posts

If you fly into California they're gonna nail ya on their state sales tax. On top of that, you'll have to pay your state sales tax where ya register it. It will most likely be RWD stock out there. Very corrupt state on that matter. I searched nationwide when I bought mine a year ago and found the higher volume dealers tend to discount better. Keys Lexus in Van Nuys was by far the best deal I found until the rip off tax was added.
NickMayer (09-03-19)

Quick Reply: '19 GS 350 vs '19 Kia Stinger GT2