GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

'19 GS 350 vs '19 Kia Stinger GT2

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-19, 05:45 PM
oksir83
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Cali charges state sales tax even if you're titling in another state? WTF...
Old 08-30-19, 07:22 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

CA only gets RWD GS models, which also means 99% chance of it not having the triple beam headlights. There is an abundance of AWD GS models with the triple beams, but essentially none for the RWD, for whatever reason.
The following users liked this post:
NickMayer (09-03-19)
Old 08-30-19, 08:58 PM
ZiginTwxas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Gotcha. Nevermind. Cadillac did the same stupid naming convention that Lexus did. (F, F-Sport)
Yeah, Caddy branding sucks. That said, the Vsport starts around $60k new and goes up from there depending on options. But if you are looking used it is generally cheaper than comparable Fsport and had 420 hp Tt6. So you should definitely cross shop. If you prefer the Lexus I wouldn’t blame you- reliability alone could make difference- but CTS Vsport is helluva lotta fun and luxurious too. And bc of massive depreciation they are good used/cpo values.

And I should say I am no Caddy fan boy. I’ve been driving for 30 years and never had a GM before (and haven’t had anything American in last 20 years until now). But this one I like.

Last edited by ZiginTwxas; 08-30-19 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-30-19, 09:00 PM
ZiginTwxas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotcha. Nevermind. Cadillac did the same stupid naming convention that Lexus did. (F, F-Sport)
And speaking of dumb names, mine is supposed to be ZiginTexas but I can’t type on my iPad and messed it up. 🤷*♂️
Old 08-30-19, 09:06 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 396 Posts

Nick, If you would happen to work a deal on a out of state purchase be certain the dealer quotes in writing the out the door price. The dealer I bought mine from verbally agreed on the OTD price. After that they increased the price with nonsense smuck fees. Told him I'd shop somewhere else and he sent the cost we agreed to in writing. I'm sure you know all this but even Lexus dealers pull tricks like a Dodge dealer would. I must say, I love playing the game with these guys when negotiating.
The following users liked this post:
NickMayer (09-03-19)
Old 09-01-19, 11:39 AM
Charlz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started looking for a car in '17 before the Stinger was out but I was intrigued with it and it wound up first in my online shopping (I was limiting it to dealers within 16 miles, which didn't include Lexus). When the Stinger came out and I drove one I was ready to pull the trigger but my wife wasn't enamored with it and ditched the distance limitation. The '18 GS 350 F-Sport RWD was the one car we agreed on. I liked the looks of the Kia a little more, it felt a lot stronger, and I preferred the hatch with fold-down rear seats. The Lexus has a much better interior, greater reliability, and I'm guessing better resale value. The only things I don't like about the Lexus are the turn signals and the voice command system/speech recognition.

The dealer experience is certainly different although there is a cost associated with that. I took a jack rabbit through the grille and since I needed the 10K service, I took it to Lexus for both. After seeing the dealer's price for the repair, my insurance company said "No, no, no, you take it somewhere else for the grille." But the dealer took the car to a nearby body shop and let me keep the loaner until the car was repaired. I doubt Kia would have done that - much better dealer experience.

I don't know if I would have been happier with the Stinger or not but I'm very happy with the Lexus and I'd recommend either one.
Old 09-02-19, 04:00 AM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlz
I started looking for a car in '17 before the Stinger was out but I was intrigued with it and it wound up first in my online shopping (I was limiting it to dealers within 16 miles, which didn't include Lexus). When the Stinger came out and I drove one I was ready to pull the trigger but my wife wasn't enamored with it and ditched the distance limitation. The '18 GS 350 F-Sport RWD was the one car we agreed on. I liked the looks of the Kia a little more, it felt a lot stronger, and I preferred the hatch with fold-down rear seats. The Lexus has a much better interior, greater reliability, and I'm guessing better resale value. The only things I don't like about the Lexus are the turn signals and the voice command system/speech recognition.

The dealer experience is certainly different although there is a cost associated with that. I took a jack rabbit through the grille and since I needed the 10K service, I took it to Lexus for both. After seeing the dealer's price for the repair, my insurance company said "No, no, no, you take it somewhere else for the grille." But the dealer took the car to a nearby body shop and let me keep the loaner until the car was repaired. I doubt Kia would have done that - much better dealer experience.

I don't know if I would have been happier with the Stinger or not but I'm very happy with the Lexus and I'd recommend either one.
Since when does insurance get to tell you that you cant take your new car under warranty, to the dealer?
Old 09-02-19, 07:11 PM
Charlz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSRockstar
Since when does insurance get to tell you that you cant take your new car under warranty, to the dealer?
It wasn't a warranty issue; it was a grille replacement due to a bunny (had to pull pieces of him out of the hole he made in the grille). I'm not saying it's the best insurance. They would have let the dealer do the work but they wouldn't have covered the whole bill. IIRC, the body shop was under $100/hr. and the dealer was closer to two.
Old 09-05-19, 08:25 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

https://www.businessinsider.com/most...w#t10-toyota-1

I am extremely surprised to see that Kia and Hyundai beating out Toyota and Lexus in reliability. I wonder if Toyota/Lexus is getting complacent and the underdogs are starting to really try now.
Old 09-05-19, 10:42 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by imjohnphan

I am extremely surprised to see that Kia and Hyundai beating out Toyota and Lexus in reliability. I wonder if Toyota/Lexus is getting complacent and the underdogs are starting to really try now.
Be careful with looking at those 90-day type reliability rankings ("The firm measured the number of problems reported by customers during the first 90 days of ownership for their new vehicles.") as they only spell out the first couple of months of ownership. I'd personally be more concerned with 90-week or 90-month reliability rankings but those don't exist...

Many folks will report non-critical issues as problems. It takes customer testimonials, long term road reviews, forum owner details and brand history to provide real evidence of reliability. Although I definitely agree that reliability has improved across the board on all brands.

Heck, even Land Rover (typically at the bottom of these reliability rankings) have owners on forums indicating that the latest generation of the full size range rover and smaller range rover sport has had better reliability than their previous generation.
Old 09-05-19, 03:53 PM
rclarke94
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by imjohnphan

This is definitely flawed. Lexus and Toyota is #1 and #2

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorz...-the-road/amp/
Old 09-06-19, 06:26 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

Is #12 "Genesis" a brand?
Old 09-06-19, 07:42 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

It's a band.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_(band)
The following 3 users liked this post by ItzFilyO:
Charlz (09-07-19), JDR76 (09-06-19), signdetres (09-06-19)
Old 09-06-19, 08:42 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

I didn't know that either until very recently that Hyundai had separated their Genesis line into a completely new luxury brand.
Old 09-06-19, 11:13 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

That's probably smart. No one wants to be associated with Kia/Hyundai.

Quick Reply: '19 GS 350 vs '19 Kia Stinger GT2