'19 GS 350 vs '19 Kia Stinger GT2

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-19, 08:47 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts
Default '19 GS 350 vs '19 Kia Stinger GT2

Links below for both specific cars.

Drove both of these last weekend, and driving both again this weekend. Lexus offered to let me keep GS overnight to get a proper test drive, so doing that tonight. Theirs, as you can see in the pics, has been sitting since winter began (snow in pics, lol). Wasn't able to test drive that one as the Sales Manager has been driving it. So it may have couple thousand miles on it, but they *assure* me it will be deeply discounted. Coming from a '15 (luxury) the infotainment and safety equipment upgrades are awesome, and they did squeeze 5 more hp than my '15 (lol). The only regret, if I did replace car now, is if 2020 actually brings improvements/something new, but that is a BIG if....

The Kia, which is only on my radar after reading about it here, was... in a word, Amazing! From red brembo brakes, to body design and wheels, to interior, everything looked and felt top of the line. While maybe not on par with Lexus interior, this had the advantage of feeling state of the art, while the '19 GS felt dated. The Kia was more than I expected for sure. Though in the very short test drive, the power didn't Wow me like I thought it would. Once I get a longer test drive this weekend I hope to have a better idea.

Thoughts?

https://www.performancelexusrivercen...z1blxka011244/

https://www.sweeneykia.com/new/Kia/2...1c8ac6a51a.htm
Old 08-16-19, 09:01 AM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

I would not pay 50k for a Kia
The following users liked this post:
RichardB23 (08-19-19)
Old 08-16-19, 09:15 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Originally Posted by swat1727
https://youtu.be/8kuCPoHl6PY

I would not pay 50k for a Kia
Well, to be technical, it's already sitting at just 49k (lol). But, it is far and away more advanced than the '19 GS, so there's that. It's a much harder choice than I figured, the car really did wow me.

Edit: 49 not 47

Last edited by NickMayer; 08-16-19 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-16-19, 10:37 AM
DAVEB1980
Advanced

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Who knows what mechanical problems you will face since the Stinger is somewhat of a new model to KIA. You know the Lexus will not break down as long as the normal maintenance is kept up. Plus over 50k after taxes and loan interest.
Old 08-16-19, 11:19 AM
Edlcworld
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Lexus seems like a no-brainer. Car looks pretty clean and well kept. Plus you have already driven it and familiar with Lexus.
I wouldn’t pay over 30K for that Stinger. Nothing about the car makes it worth 50K. Haven’t driven one therefore cant comment on the engine and how it feels but like someone mentioned; it’s a fairly new car and you don't know what issues might surface later on.
Cant beat the Lexus interior design and the vibrant red leather. Stinger’s dash looks like a cheap Mercedes version. Only good that I liked was the red seats, haha.
Your choice at the end of the day ! If you want to go with something new and different then the stinger it is lol
jonathancl (08-16-19)
Old 08-16-19, 11:37 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

Wow..the thing with Kia, they try WAY TOO HARD. Jesus H. Christ. Can they add any more novelty stuff to the exterior there? Few more wind blades and lights and tabs and stuff? It just looks WAY too busy. Good grief.
Old 08-16-19, 12:47 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 550 Likes on 400 Posts

Keep us posted on what you do. You've got a tough decision between those 2 cars.
Old 08-16-19, 01:11 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Wow..the thing with Kia, they try WAY TOO HARD. Jesus H. Christ. Can they add any more novelty stuff to the exterior there? Few more wind blades and lights and tabs and stuff? It just looks WAY too busy. Good grief.
I feel the same way, way to busy, maybe it's the color white but I'm biased to the GS. It doesn't look oem but looks modded, hard to explain...you see a GSF or an Audi S7, it looks oem with the nice rims and breaks. But I do like the stinger much better in black.
NickMayer (08-16-19)
Old 08-16-19, 01:45 PM
NickMayer
Advanced

Originally Posted by DAVEB1980
Who knows what mechanical problems you will face since the Stinger is somewhat of a new model to KIA. You know the Lexus will not break down as long as the normal maintenance is kept up. Plus over 50k after taxes and loan interest.
True, but this day and age won't have car longer than 3 years anyway...

Originally Posted by Edlcworld
Lexus seems like a no-brainer. Car looks pretty clean and well kept. Plus you have already driven it and familiar with Lexus.
I wouldn’t pay over 30K for that Stinger. Nothing about the car makes it worth 50K. Haven’t driven one therefore cant comment on the engine and how it feels but like someone mentioned; it’s a fairly new car and you don't know what issues might surface later on.
Cant beat the Lexus interior design and the vibrant red leather. Stinger’s dash looks like a cheap Mercedes version. Only good that I liked was the red seats, haha.
Your choice at the end of the day ! If you want to go with something new and different then the stinger it is lol
Lexus is always a no brainer, but I feel ya. The stinger feels and looks *fresh*, worth 50k fresh? Hard to say though
Originally Posted by jtrue28
Some of the fake vents and brake/back lights are a bit much, but overall it looks amazing inside and out.
Originally Posted by charley95
Keep us posted on what you do. You've got a tough decision between those 2 cars.
I will, Lexus dude has been hounding me this week (GS been there for EVER) and wants me to take car overnight tonight. So I guess I'm going in for an 18 hour test drive, lol
Old 08-16-19, 02:06 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 550 Likes on 400 Posts

Maybe hang out on the Kia forums and see what they're saying about the Stinger. Hanging out here is what helped me decide to buy mine. I don't trust the magazines... for reviews on a car. Lexus issues are so trivial compared to other makes IMO.
Old 08-16-19, 02:19 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

That GS looks just like mine but it has the triple LED headlights! Dammit that looks sexy. Nick u'd be a fool not to pick the GS!!!!

Well let me know ur thoughts on the 2 cars after the longer test drives.

I feel that the Korean cars designs are trying to copy Benz, BMW, Audi and they always end up looking like a knockoff from all blended together. At least Lexus' designs are original.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 08-16-19 at 02:29 PM.
NickMayer (08-17-19)
Old 08-16-19, 02:52 PM
Edlcworld
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
That GS looks just like mine but it has the triple LED headlights! Dammit that looks sexy. Nick u'd be a fool not to pick the GS!!!!

Well let me know ur thoughts on the 2 cars after the longer test drives.

I feel that the Korean cars designs are trying to copy Benz, BMW, Audi and they always end up looking like a knockoff from all blended together. At least Lexus' designs are original.
Exactly what I said ! The stingers dash looks like a knockoff Benz to me
Old 08-16-19, 03:02 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by NickMayer
True, but this day and age won't have car longer than 3 years anyway...
l
If that's the mentality you have,, then why even bother with a Lexus? The whole point of these cars is to keep them and put serious miles on it and not worry about it. If you're going to dump a car every 3 years you're better off buying a lightly used Audi or something, then you can dump it before the miles are up, etc.

-Mike
Old 08-16-19, 08:58 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

A think a '19 GS F Sport is going to drive quite a bit different compared to your '15 Lux. Even if you go with the GS, I think you might miss the 18way semi-aniline seats and the nice balance b/w comfort/luxury/sport the Lux model offers. Unfortunately, there's no Lux GS available anymore and its a shame...

However, there is always the car "feeling" like something substantial. When you drive a car like the GS, its size, presence and feel are obvious. The heavy in a good way things feel add to it as well: like gripping the wheel, pressing a button or even closing the door. The GS is comfortable and classy when you just wanna cruise and dialed up just enough when you want to let loose.

To me, if the Kia also brings that type of presence/feel/balance for $50k, I'd say go for the newer kid on the block...but how can you know if you don't take the chance?
NickMayer (08-17-19)
Old 08-16-19, 09:44 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

I almost bought a Stinger earlier this year. Fantastic cars and the power was intoxicating. They’re $52k or so loaded, but easy to get at least $8k off, making them substantially cheaper than the GS.

I also think they’re one of the best looking cars on the road. Engine has been in use by Genesis for years and is pretty proven.

In in the end, I stuck with the GS (traded my 15 for a 19) because the Kia’s handling wasn’t as good and because the Stinger forum pointed to lots of minor issues, like a very common hatch rattle, premature leather wear, etc.

I still gawk at the Stinger and love them. I think they’re awesome. But the experience with my 15 GS was too good to make the switch. Never a rattle, very solid, worry free. Not nearly as powerful or fast in a straight line as the Stinger, but it’s just such a good all-around vehicle.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDR76:
Chaos236 (03-12-23), NickMayer (08-17-19)

Quick Reply: '19 GS 350 vs '19 Kia Stinger GT2