GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus fuel additive

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-20, 04:01 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Bumping this thread as I just noticed in my Lexus Drivers' portal that adding the "EFI Fuel Tank Additive" is part of the recommended service. I remembered this back & forth discussion and found it interesting, considering Lexus themselves recommends it.

Old 01-14-20, 04:39 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Bumping this thread as I just noticed in my Lexus Drivers' portal that adding the "EFI Fuel Tank Additive" is part of the recommended service. I remembered this back & forth discussion and found it interesting, considering Lexus themselves recommends it.

My Lexus Owners Manual's Recommended Service does not list the Fuel Tank Additive. Is this something that your dealership is recommending, which is separate and different from the Owners Manual that Toyota/Lexus provides owners? What does the [3] represent?
Old 01-14-20, 04:44 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Lexus Drivers, and my manual show the EFI Additive for Hawaii and P.R. only:

Old 01-14-20, 04:48 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chinee
Lexus Drivers show the EFI Additive for Hawaii and P.R. only:

Yeah, bad gasoline with less than the minimum detergent additive. A fuel tank additive is not needed in the lower 48 U.S. states.
Old 01-14-20, 04:50 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Yeah, bad gasoline with less than the minimum detergent additive. A fuel tank additive is not needed in the lower 48 U.S. states.
... and California apparently... right signdetres? LOL
Old 01-14-20, 04:59 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

It's funny that Toyota/Lexus uses the word 'only': Hawaii and Puerto Rico only. If it was eh-okay, they would have recommended the fuel tank additive for all locations, but they didn't...
Old 01-14-20, 06:53 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by chinee
... and California apparently... right signdetres? LOL
Apparently so. But mine makes no mention as to select states, as shown in my screenshot.

@bclexus The Lexus Drivers’ site is run by Lexus, not an independent dealer.
Old 01-14-20, 07:08 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by signdetres
Apparently so. But mine makes no mention as to select states, as shown in my screenshot.

@bclexus The Lexus Drivers’ site is run by Lexus, not an independent dealer.
There must be some distinction between the two, otherwise the Owners Manual and the Lexus Drivers' website would provide the same information. I suspect, while they are both owned by Toyota/Lexus, different people maintain the material information...and they don't follow service recommendations to the 't'. I'm not so sure the Lexus Drivers' website isn't heavily dealership-leaning while still tethered to the mothership.
Old 01-15-20, 12:13 AM
kiwi2
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS350Boi
On Cadillacforums.com, a senior member used techron fuel additive in a Northstar engine and did a complete teardown of the motor with pics. This was about 9 years ago. The before and after pictures were indeed very conclusive. On the 4.6 liter Northstar teardown, the engine was indeed cleaner after the treatment and driving a few thousand miles. Almost all of the sludge was gone and the pistons were much cleaner. The tread was at least 75 pages long. At the very least, it was a fun read.

I got one of those cheap endoscope cameras that attaches to your phone. First I took a look at my Holden/GM 3.6L V6 Alloytec engine that had 260,000 kilometres on it....
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PxpKB4F2mYg8SBYX8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pDLapGGGP4d19bWCA
Absolutely clean as a whistle!

Then I had a look at my 08 GS350 that had 87,000 kilometres on it...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XhKmhmtUC1hMKTq56

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EhgkCiXZLj5qj9XA6

It certainly justified my decision to put a PCV oil catch-can on it.

I have also put a couple of bottles of injector cleaner and a can of CRC Intake Valve and Turbo Cleaner directly into the inlet manifold.

I'm going to take another look with the endoscope camera in a few thousand K's.
Old 01-15-20, 03:57 AM
EastTNLex
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi2
I got one of those cheap endoscope cameras that attaches to your phone. First I took a look at my Holden/GM 3.6L V6 Alloytec engine that had 260,000 kilometres on it....
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PxpKB4F2mYg8SBYX8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pDLapGGGP4d19bWCA
Absolutely clean as a whistle!

Then I had a look at my 08 GS350 that had 87,000 kilometres on it...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XhKmhmtUC1hMKTq56

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EhgkCiXZLj5qj9XA6

It certainly justified my decision to put a PCV oil catch-can on it.

I have also put a couple of bottles of injector cleaner and a can of CRC Intake Valve and Turbo Cleaner directly into the inlet manifold.

I'm going to take another look with the endoscope camera in a few thousand K's.
‘Looks like there has been/is some oil seepage at the bottom side of that valve...are the seals going out? Any smoke?
Old 01-15-20, 10:01 AM
kiwi2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EastTNLex
‘Looks like there has been/is some oil seepage at the bottom side of that valve...are the seals going out? Any smoke?
No it doesn't blow any smoke or burn any oil. Remember oil vapour is being introduced into the inlet manifold from the PCV valve. It's only areas receiving fuel vapour from the port injector that is getting any cleaning action. The backside of that valve is in the shadow of the port injector.
Old 01-15-20, 03:15 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

No it doesn't blow any smoke or burn any oil. Remember oil vapour is being introduced into the inlet manifold from the PCV valve. It's only areas receiving fuel vapour from the port injector that is getting any cleaning action. The backside of that valve is in the shadow of the port injector.
So, you're saying that only a portion of the intake valve actually receives fuel sprayed by the port injectors - and the injector sprays at such an angle that no fuel (i.e. cleaning action) comes into contact with the valve because the valve stem blocks the spray? That's a new one on me! And, you're also saying that intake valves do not spin or rotate about its stem axis? That's a new one on me too!
Old 01-15-20, 04:18 PM
kiwi2
Driver School Candidate

So, you're saying that only a portion of the intake valve actually receives fuel sprayed by the port injectors - and the injector sprays at such an angle that no fuel (i.e. cleaning action) comes into contact with the valve because the valve stem blocks the spray? That's a new one on me! And, you're also saying that intake valves do not spin or rotate about its stem axis? That's a new one on me too!
Perhaps you may like to explain what we are seeing then...???
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wTNZRJXQ8a8vagU39
https://photos.app.goo.gl/62txjk8YXA1qEvYC7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dW2FMyxf4UxEAttW9
Old 01-15-20, 05:46 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

That does not look like carbon on the valve to me. Maybe what the substance that appears partially on one side of the valve is remnants of some type of aftermarket cleaner product, or corrosion or rust. Who knows, but that is not carbon buildup...

A port injection system delivers its fuel load under low-pressure conditions at near atmosphere pressure, and due to the injector's tip location well above the intake valve the fuel mist is allowed ample time to become a vapor before the valve opens. Also, from whence the port injector delivers its payload of fuel the injector is positioned quite a distance from the intake valve itself, well up in the manifold chamber which is about the diameter of the valve. That said, the port injected fuel has plenty of both time and space to cover the entire valve and it is literally impossible to have part of the valve blocked by the valve's stem from receiving fuel. That is just not possible...
Old 01-15-20, 07:00 PM
kiwi2
Driver School Candidate

That does not look like carbon on the valve to me. Maybe what the substance that appears partially on one side of the valve is remnants of some type of aftermarket cleaner product, or corrosion or rust. Who knows, but that is not carbon buildup...

A port injection system delivers its fuel load under low-pressure conditions at near atmosphere pressure, and due to the injector's tip location well above the intake valve the fuel mist is allowed ample time to become a vapor before the valve opens. Also, from whence the port injector delivers its payload of fuel the injector is positioned quite a distance from the intake valve itself, well up in the manifold chamber which is about the diameter of the valve. That said, the port injected fuel has plenty of both time and space to cover the entire valve and it is literally impossible to have part of the valve blocked by the valve's stem from receiving fuel. That is just not possible...
It's a Japanese import that had 81,000 kilometres on it when I got it. So who knows what fuel it was getting and how it was being driven. It could have easily spent a lot of its life idling in city traffic.

It was also the cylinder furthest away from where the PCV line enters the manifold. I plan to take the inlet manifold completely off when I give the car a thorough 100,000 kilometre service in the next 6 to 12 months or so. It will be interesting to see if things have cleaned up with the use of good quality fuel and the PCV oil catch-can with mostly open road highway driving.

Quick Reply: Lexus fuel additive