GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Need help with smoke coming out of the exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-19, 08:34 PM
Mikhaelm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with smoke coming out of the exhaust

Hello everyone, I am new to Lexus and I recently purchased a 2013 Lexus GS350 RWD with 90k miles. So, every time I start the vehicle up I notice white/grayish type of smoke coming out of the exhaust for the first 10-15 seconds and it goes away. I bought the vehicle from an Audi dealership and I have since taken it back there for at least 3 times and every time they check it in and they take it to the Lexus dealership and the Lexus techs basically say they can’t duplicate any problems and they’re unable to see the smoke. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’ve posted a video as well
Old 08-25-19, 03:15 AM
richard203
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 107 Posts

its normal to have white smoke coming out of the exhaust when your car is cold, all car have that
The following 2 users liked this post by richard203:
Mikhaelm (08-26-19), yelloiroc (08-25-19)
Old 08-25-19, 01:42 PM
yelloiroc
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Humidity levels around you might impact the amount you see. When I'm near staying near the beach it's pretty obvious, at my house I barely notice it other than during the winter.
The following users liked this post:
Mikhaelm (08-26-19)
Old 08-26-19, 06:42 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 366 Likes on 255 Posts

Water vapor is often visible in the exhaust when the exhaust is cool: H2O is an output of hyrdocarbon oxidation.

When the exhaust system warms, the H2O comes out as steam so you can no longer see it.
Mikhaelm (08-26-19)
Old 08-26-19, 08:54 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Agree with the comments in answer to the OP's question.

To add a bit of information for the colder months - it is very common to see what 'appears' to be whitish-gray exhaust smoke during colder months the first time or two when you go wide-open-throttle (WOT). This is nothing more than moisture buildup in the exhaust system being blown out under higher WOT exhaust pressure. The moisture is usually gone after just one or two 5 second romps at WOT. This moisture buildup is common if only shortish trips are made and not enough heat is built-up in the exhaust system to burn off the moisture (water) buildup. It doesn't take but a day or two of shortish drives for more moisture (water) to buildup again in the exhaust system. The main point I want to make is that the whitish-gray exhaust you may see in the rearview mirror is not your car burning smoke - it is moisture that is being blown out of the exhaust system.

Last edited by bclexus; 08-26-19 at 03:46 PM.
Mikhaelm (08-26-19)
Old 08-26-19, 01:56 PM
Mikhaelm
Driver School Candidate

Gotcha, thank you for the info!
Old 08-26-19, 01:57 PM
Mikhaelm
Driver School Candidate

I live in east San Diego and that does make sense. Thank you!
Old 08-26-19, 01:58 PM
Mikhaelm
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the information
Old 08-26-19, 02:00 PM
Mikhaelm
Driver School Candidate

I was also thinking the same but I just wanted more opinions on this. Luckily, it came with a warranty for at least another 2 years so hopefully this thing is reliable. Thank you for the information as well!
Old 12-11-19, 02:00 PM
Mikhaelm
Driver School Candidate

UPDATED ON THE SMOKE:

It was finally repaired and it was the Valve Stem Seals that were bad.
Old 12-11-19, 03:30 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mikhaelm
UPDATED ON THE SMOKE:

It was finally repaired and it was the Valve Stem Seals that were bad.
Really! So they replaced all the valve stem seals? That's the first time I've heard that with the GS 350 engine. That really surprises me!

Leaky valve stem seals were somewhat common many decades ago with pushrod (OHV) engines using dinosaur oil, but usually only after 100k miles.
Old 12-11-19, 03:35 PM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Really! So they replaced all the valve stem seals? That's the first time I've heard that with the GS 350 engine. That really surprises me!

Leaky valve stem seals were somewhat common many decades ago with pushrod (OHV) engines using dinosaur oil, but usually only after 100k miles.
It was common back with garbage OHV engines with garbage valve stem seals, sure. This is a Japanese vehicle we are talking about.

If the valve stem seals were bad, i'm concerned about the health of the piston rings as well. you may as well replace those as well while you have the cylinder head taken apart.
Old 12-11-19, 03:44 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Moisture
It was common back with garbage OHV engines with garbage valve stem seals, sure. This is a Japanese vehicle we are talking about.

If the valve stem seals were bad, i'm concerned about the health of the piston rings as well. you may as well replace those as well while you have the cylinder head taken apart.
Piston rings are unrelated to the valve stem seals. Having bad/defective valve stem seals do not in anyway mean the piston rings' health are questionable.

Pulling the cylinder heads does not allow access for replacing the piston rings. That would require opening the bottom of the engine to remove the piston's connecting rods from the crankshaft in order to remove the pistons from the cylinders. .
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
Cal916 (12-11-19), Moisture (12-11-19)
Old 12-11-19, 03:51 PM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Piston rings are unrelated to the valve stem seals. Having bad/defective valve stem seals do not in anyway mean the piston rings' health are questionable.

Pulling the cylinder heads does not allow access for replacing the piston rings. That would require opening the bottom of the engine to remove the piston's connecting rods from the crankshaft in order to remove the pistons from the cylinders. .
I know they are unrelated, I meant that if the valve stem seals are worn it's very likely the piston rings are as well. The only time i ever seen bad valve stem seals is on a poor condition motor which is burning enough oil to pretty much confirm the piston rings are bad too.

Makes sense regarding the comment with piston rings... It didn't occur to me you'd have to get to the piston by taking the con rods out from the bottom.
Old 12-11-19, 04:10 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Moisture
I know they are unrelated, I meant that if the valve stem seals are worn it's very likely the piston rings are as well. The only time i ever seen bad valve stem seals is on a poor condition motor which is burning enough oil to pretty much confirm the piston rings are bad too.

Makes sense regarding the comment with piston rings... It didn't occur to me you'd have to get to the piston by taking the con rods out [removing rod bolts] from the bottom.
No comment...

Quick Reply: Need help with smoke coming out of the exhaust