GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Peeling Rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-19, 07:04 AM
Zsikd
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Peeling Rims

I have a 2013 GS with the luxury wheels and recently realized my rims are peeling. Has anyone experienced this? I don’t have any kind of warranty, so that’s out the question. Perhaps the corrosion warranty? I have 99k on it.

Any other recommendations? Thank you
Old 08-26-19, 09:38 AM
SoFresh16
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zsikd- I myself is experiencing the same issue and hope it can be taken care of under warranty. My GS is a 2016 Lux package. I'm not sure what finish you have, but mine is black chrome.

I hope some has a recommendation to our problem. Thank you!
Old 08-26-19, 09:55 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

@Zsikd It's possible that something corrosive ended up on the wheel finish causing it to peel. I've never had any peeling on any of my OEM wheels - but personally i've seen that happen on friends/family with refinished wheels that were poorly clear coated by a wheel shop or on aftermarket finishes of chrome/black chrome plated wheels.

Wheels refinishing at a good local wheel/tire shop is typically between $75 to $150 per wheel depending on the damage. I'd say take it to a good local shop and have them refinished unless your Lexus dealership is willing to pay (usually the dealership only address these types of issues if you have the extended wheel and tire warranty).
Old 08-26-19, 11:52 AM
Zsikd
Driver

Originally Posted by SoFresh16
Zsikd- I myself is experiencing the same issue and hope it can be taken care of under warranty. My GS is a 2016 Lux package. I'm not sure what finish you have, but mine is black chrome.

I hope some has a recommendation to our problem. Thank you!
Its odd that we’re experiencing this. Maybe it’s a luxury edition problem? I haven’t done anything to my wheels that should have caused this. I called my Lexus dealer to see what they can recommend. I know I have a spot in Michigan, Detroit wheel and tire, that can perhaps touch it up. I’ll keep you updated and hope you do the same!
Old 08-26-19, 12:11 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Update the thread with some pics so we can see.
The following users liked this post:
RichardB23 (08-26-19)
Old 08-26-19, 02:30 PM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Zsikd
Its odd that we’re experiencing this. Maybe it’s a luxury edition problem? I haven’t done anything to my wheels that should have caused this. I called my Lexus dealer to see what they can recommend. I know I have a spot in Michigan, Detroit wheel and tire, that can perhaps touch it up. I’ll keep you updated and hope you do the same!
One of my wheels is peeling,l but it started after I hot a giant crater of a pothole doing 90... Still thanking my lucky stars I didn't have to replace the wheel.
Old 08-26-19, 02:43 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by NickMayer
One of my wheels is peeling,l but it started after I hot a giant crater of a pothole doing 90... Still thanking my lucky stars I didn't have to replace the wheel.
Your wheel started peeling after you hit a pothole?
Old 08-26-19, 02:48 PM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Your wheel started peeling after you hit a pothole?
Literally the paint from the wheel. Right around where the spokes meet the outside edge. Thought for sure wheel was bent.
Old 08-26-19, 04:24 PM
Zsikd
Driver

Originally Posted by AJLex19
@Zsikd It's possible that something corrosive ended up on the wheel finish causing it to peel. I've never had any peeling on any of my OEM wheels - but personally i've seen that happen on friends/family with refinished wheels that were poorly clear coated by a wheel shop or on aftermarket finishes of chrome/black chrome plated wheels.

Wheels refinishing at a good local wheel/tire shop is typically between $75 to $150 per wheel depending on the damage. I'd say take it to a good local shop and have them refinished unless your Lexus dealership is willing to pay (usually the dealership only address these types of issues if you have the extended wheel and tire warranty).
I do find it odd that it's happening on all four wheels. I've driven cars with much more miles and never had the paint or coating peel off like this. I hand wash the car with quality products, so it is somewhat worrisome.

I spoke a tire shop and they recommended just using acrylic nail polish on the areas where it's peeling. This supposedly would prevent the paint/coating to spread further. I contacted Lexus corporate to see what they have to say. Let's see if I get anywhere with them! More than likely not, but it doesn't hurt to try! Thank you for the recommendations!
Old 08-26-19, 04:31 PM
Zsikd
Driver

Originally Posted by NickMayer
Geez!! Well, I'm glad your rim didn't get bent or crack lol - but suppose some peeling is better than a cracked or bent wheel.
The following users liked this post:
NickMayer (08-27-19)
Old 08-26-19, 04:43 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Update the thread with some pics so we can see.
I think everybody would like to see some pictures of the wheels to get a better understanding of the issue.
Old 08-26-19, 05:11 PM
Zsikd
Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
I think everybody would like to see some pictures of the wheels to get a better understanding of the issue.
Haha, yup - I should’ve uploaded the forum with pics but it’s been raining non stop here today. I’ll upload some tonight once the rain calms down a bit!
Old 08-26-19, 11:12 PM
SoFresh16
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zsikd
I’m planning on visiting the Dealer to explore my options, I’ll keep you posted. Also, I’ll try and get a few pics to update the post.
Old 08-27-19, 12:33 AM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm having the same thing on my 2013 GS350 Lux with silver 18 spokes. It's not super bad but I've noticed varios spots on several wheels look like the paint is coming off some near the rim and some around the center cap. I don't know if it's been damaged by tire changes or balancing but it's possible. I'd like to do a gunmetal powder coat on all four if it ever gets very bad.
Old 08-27-19, 02:51 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by thallium
I'm having the same thing on my 2013 GS350 Lux with silver 18 spokes. It's not super bad but I've noticed varios spots on several wheels look like the paint is coming off some near the rim and some around the center cap. I don't know if it's been damaged by tire changes or balancing but it's possible. I'd like to do a gunmetal powder coat on all four if it ever gets very bad.
The chipping around the center cap is from the tire shop guys prying out the center caps with a screw drivers or chisel to balance the wheel. They really should knock it out from the backside, but some people don't care. My center cap has a smooth surface so I use a suction cup tool to pop them out myself before going to a tire shop.

Quick Reply: Peeling Rims