GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Brake feel on 2019 F-Sport...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-19, 02:16 PM
oksir83
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

We finally got back in town yesterday and I went out last night to re-bed the brakes using the procedure that Hawk suggests. 6-10 moderate slowdowns from 35 and 2-3 hard stops from ~45. The brakes feel noticeably better and my wife called me this morning after driving into work and let me know they now feel normal and she is loving the GS. I can still see the discoloration from the spot on the rotor (it is actually on both front rotors), but the feel of the spot w/ my fingernail is almost non-existent. I think at this point we'll skip the dealer and call it good. I have a theory that someone got the brakes heated up during pdi or a previous test drive and engaged the auto parking brake since it was on when my wife took delivery. This may have attributed to some of the pad material transfer, if not caused by the boat over or high humidity while the car sat on the lot.

I'm sure the dealer may have replaced everything if I made a big enough stink, but this method was easier and less time consuming in my opinion.

PFA:
​​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (09-10-19)
Old 09-10-19, 03:22 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by oksir83
We finally got back in town yesterday and I went out last night to re-bed the brakes using the procedure that Hawk suggests. 6-10 moderate slowdowns from 35 and 2-3 hard stops from ~45. The brakes feel noticeably better and my wife called me this morning after driving into work and let me know they now feel normal and she is loving the GS. I can still see the discoloration from the spot on the rotor (it is actually on both front rotors), but the feel of the spot w/ my fingernail is almost non-existent. I think at this point we'll skip the dealer and call it good. I have a theory that someone got the brakes heated up during pdi or a previous test drive and engaged the auto parking brake since it was on when my wife took delivery. This may have attributed to some of the pad material transfer, if not caused by the boat over or high humidity while the car sat on the lot.

I'm sure the dealer may have replaced everything if I made a big enough stink, but this method was easier and less time consuming in my opinion.
Glad to hear that you (and your wife) are happy with the brakes now.
Old 09-10-19, 03:24 PM
edoggie
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

PFA:

That's a beautiful car. I have the same one in the same color 😁. This car looks even slicker in your picture.
The following 2 users liked this post by edoggie:
oksir83 (09-10-19), signdetres (09-10-19)
Old 09-10-19, 04:13 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

PFA:

Glad to hear you got the issue resolved on your own - sometimes a little DIY route can save you time and energy instead of dealing with the overhead of going to the dealership.

BTW: Beautiful exterior color with the atomic silver - if you have a flaxen or chateau interior, you have (in my opinion) one of the best color combos on the GS.
oksir83 (09-10-19)
Old 09-10-19, 06:45 PM
oksir83
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Glad to hear you got the issue resolved on your own - sometimes a little DIY route can save you time and energy instead of dealing with the overhead of going to the dealership.

BTW: Beautiful exterior color with the atomic silver - if you have a flaxen or chateau interior, you have (in my opinion) one of the best color combos on the GS.
Thanks! That exact color combo was my wife's main requirement. Silver/Flaxen. She debated on the Atomic vs. Liquid Platinum and ultimately went with atomic as it seemed to have more depth and not look as common of a silver as the Platinum. Luckily we found a smaller dealer a couple hours away with 2 identical Atomic/Flaxen builds who were extremely willing to deal.
Old 09-10-19, 07:00 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Atomic Silver/Flaxen... Congrats! Super rare... Super beautiful. If I were you, I'd be switching rides with her!
Old 09-10-19, 07:09 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Thanks! That exact color combo was my wife's main requirement. Silver/Flaxen. She debated on the Atomic vs. Liquid Platinum and ultimately went with atomic as it seemed to have more depth and not look as common of a silver as the Platinum. Luckily we found a smaller dealer a couple hours away with 2 identical Atomic/Flaxen builds who were extremely willing to deal.
@oksir83 also its tougher to find an F-Sport with a Flaxen interior...i think a much higher % of F-Sport package GS's have either a Black or Red interior. Nice find!
Old 09-11-19, 10:20 AM
Wincer94
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

We need to see more pictures of your car showing that nice flaxen interior with the Sonic Titanium exterior.
signdetres (09-11-19)