GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Bumper Doesn’t Match Body

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-19, 01:02 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 563 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Pagatz808
Recently I got a new OEM rear bumper and got it back. As you can see it’s not the same color. According to the worker, he said I needed to get it auto paint correct from an auto detailer. But according to the detailer, it’s the body shop who screwed up and paint correct won’t fix the problem.

Just wanted Ted to know what your guy’s input on what you think I should do???? Either go back to the body shop to have them fix it or will auto detailing it work???
Oh my goodness. My OCD would kick in so bad.
Old 09-04-19, 01:47 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Good know. Don’t want them doing a half-*** job and doing unnecessary things to the car. I will ask my adjuster what the body shop plans to do.
Your adjuster may get involved and actually ask the body shop what they plan to do, or your adjuster may just give you a simple 'Well, lets see what it looks like after they do whatever it is they plan to do' type answer. This is where, if you actually have an agent (or even better if you know your agent) s/he can get involved and make things go much smoother, and get for you what is reasonable and fair, and an outcome that will make you happy.

Unless you can be certain what is going to happen next (repainting the bumper the correct color, not blending, etc., etc.) you are totally at the mercy of the body shop that butchered the first paint job, or you are at the mercy of an unknown insurance representative somewhere in another state at the end of a phone number, or you are at the mercy of an unknown adjuster in which you are just another policy number.
Old 09-04-19, 03:58 PM
Pagatz808
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by itsRaymond
Oh my goodness. My OCD would kick in so bad.
Dude my eyes caught it the minute they were wiping it down after they washed it.
Old 09-04-19, 03:59 PM
Pagatz808
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
Your adjuster may get involved and actually ask the body shop what they plan to do, or your adjuster may just give you a simple 'Well, lets see what it looks like after they do whatever it is they plan to do' type answer. This is where, if you actually have an agent (or even better if you know your agent) s/he can get involved and make things go much smoother, and get for you what is reasonable and fair, and an outcome that will make you happy.

Unless you can be certain what is going to happen next (repainting the bumper the correct color, not blending, etc., etc.) you are totally at the mercy of the body shop that butchered the first paint job, or you are at the mercy of an unknown insurance representative somewhere in another state at the end of a phone number, or you are at the mercy of an unknown adjuster in which you are just another policy number.
Honestly my insurance agent here in Hawaii is cool. I told him I didn’t like it and that they screwed it up. Now we have a date set and also my rental which I’m not paying
Old 09-04-19, 04:07 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Honestly my insurance agent here in Hawaii is cool. I told him I didn’t like it and that they screwed it up. Now we have a date set and also my rental which I’m not paying
Excellent! Your agent can carry a lot of influence in satisfying your needs.
Old 09-04-19, 09:32 PM
Pagatz808
Driver School Candidate

Just in case people wanted to see other sides of the car.

Old 09-05-19, 04:07 AM
tmac100
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, to me it looks like they used the f sport ultra white rather than the pearl white they needed to use.
Old 09-05-19, 06:12 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Just in case people wanted to see other sides of the car.

You wouldn't want them blending in other parts of the car with the wrong paint color. If they couldn't get the color right the first time and gave you a BS excuse I wouldn't trust that shop to touch the car again. I'd insist on bringing it to another shop for a second opinion.
Old 09-11-19, 12:01 AM
Pagatz808
Driver School Candidate

I recently inquired from another body about my problem (provided pics) and this is what they replied. As mentioned before, they will redo my bumper (hopefully color match it better) and blend in the panels. I will be bringing it in this Thursday. Will keep this thread posted.
Old 09-11-19, 12:11 AM
BrettKA7
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I recently inquired from another body about my problem (provided pics) and this is what they replied. As mentioned before, they will redo my bumper (hopefully color match it better) and blend in the panels. I will be bringing it in this Thursday. Will keep this thread posted.
I don’t mean to be too harsh, but you’re going to let a body shop that did that ****** work paint permanent, metal body panels of your car?

I work in the automotive industry and I’ve never seen such a poor pearl white match. I would rethink this. It looks like they didn’t use nearly enough pearl over the white base coat and I wouldn’t trust them to get it right next time.
Old 09-11-19, 01:08 AM
Pagatz808
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BrettKA7
I don’t mean to be too harsh, but you’re going to let a body shop that did that ****** work paint permanent, metal body panels of your car?

I work in the automotive industry and I’ve never seen such a poor pearl white match. I would rethink this. It looks like they didn’t use nearly enough pearl over the white base coat and I wouldn’t trust them to get it right next time.
As of now, my insurance adjuster wants me to bring it back and have them fix it. If I don’t like the end product then I’ll have to go from there. I really don’t want to bring it back to the shop that screwed me over but I will let them correct it and hopefully it’s done right. If not then I will speak to my insurance and go from there.
Old 09-11-19, 06:33 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

As of now, my insurance adjuster wants me to bring it back and have them fix it. If I don’t like the end product then I’ll have to go from there. I really don’t want to bring it back to the shop that screwed me over but I will let them correct it and hopefully it’s done right. If not then I will speak to my insurance and go from there.
That sucks your car will be two different whites blended together. Then what are they going to do make you go back to the same body shop to repaint the entire car?
Old 09-11-19, 07:50 AM
BrettKA7
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
That sucks your car will be two different whites blended together. Then what are they going to do make you go back to the same body shop to repaint the entire car?
Agreed, I’ve seen cars where you can totally see a transition from one shade of white / red to a different shade of white / red. That’s what’s going to happen here. You may not notice it right away but you’ll walk up to your car at sunset and the light hits the quarter panel a certain way, then you’ll go... “huh.”
Old 09-11-19, 09:54 AM
Pagatz808
Driver School Candidate

Well, I’ll see how it ends up when I get it back. Hopefully a better job.
Old 09-11-19, 10:48 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I hope the repaint color turns out perfectly...except the paint thickness (3 paintings) will be too much and it is highly doubtful the previous paintings will be prepped properly before they paint a third time. I truly hope the color matches perfectly this time so they do not blend the wrong color paint on the quarter panels. That pathetic body shop has already botched it and now anything less than (1) a perfect color match, (2) bumper is properly prepped before it is painted again, and (3) there is no 'blending'...will be considered a massively botched job. Can't wait to learn the outcome!
The following users liked this post:
BrettKA7 (09-12-19)

Quick Reply: Bumper Doesn’t Match Body