GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Bumper Doesn’t Match Body

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-19, 07:55 PM
Pagatz808
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumper Doesn’t Match Body

Recently I got a new OEM rear bumper and got it back. As you can see it’s not the same color. According to the worker, he said I needed to get it auto paint correct from an auto detailer. But according to the detailer, it’s the body shop who screwed up and paint correct won’t fix the problem.

Just wanted Ted to know what your guy’s input on what you think I should do???? Either go back to the body shop to have them fix it or will auto detailing it work???

Old 09-01-19, 08:00 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

The bumper's color appears in the image to be WAY off the fender's color. It's nowhere close! A body shop will need to repaint the bumper to match the car's body. I question whether the body shop that performed this pathetic color match is capable to doing the job right...
The following users liked this post:
websurfer (09-12-19)
Old 09-01-19, 08:06 PM
Pagatz808
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
The bumper's color appears in the image to be WAY off the fender's color. It's nowhere close! A body shop will need to repaint the bumper to match the car's body. I question whether the body shop that performed this pathetic color match is capable to doing the job right...
This bodyshop had 5 stars and great reviews. Went through my insurance to replace the bumper. Weird cuz I asked the worker about it not matching he told me to get it detailed but I’m my experience with other body shops, they never once told me to get it detailed. I guess I will have to contact my insurance 🤮🤮🤧
Old 09-01-19, 08:10 PM
Zsikd
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Auto detailing or any sort of paint correction will not correct the paint color. The body shop did a horrible job matching the paint. It looks as if they used a cheap white based primer color instead of perhaps a tricoat platinum white that the Lexus has... contact the body shop to repaint or tell your insurance that the paint is way off
Old 09-01-19, 08:38 PM
Pagatz808
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Zsikd
Auto detailing or any sort of paint correction will not correct the paint color. The body shop did a horrible job matching the paint. It looks as if they used a cheap white based primer color instead of perhaps a tricoat platinum white that the Lexus has... contact the body shop to repaint or tell your insurance that the paint is way off
Yes i will contact my insurance and tell them that the paint job done is way off.
Old 09-01-19, 09:57 PM
BrettKA7
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

It looks like an ultra white bumper on a pearl white car. Insurance should get their money back and let you try another body shop with this evidence.
The following 2 users liked this post by BrettKA7:
wadeopgh (09-11-19), websurfer (09-12-19)
Old 09-02-19, 12:48 AM
Pagatz808
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BrettKA7
It looks like an ultra white bumper on a pearl white car. Insurance should get their money back and let you try another body shop with this evidence.

Yes i I will notify my insurance and most likely go to a different shop.
Old 09-02-19, 07:43 AM
SPM14430
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Back in the day I needed the hood of my solar yellow IS300 painted. Brought it to a body shop 'recommended' by the insurance company (first mistake). When I picked up the car, paint was totally mismatched. Was told by the body shop 'we mixed it according to the paint code'. I asked them if they were blind and how was that acceptable?!

Matching the paint color is a skill and an artform. If your car is Starfire pearl, it will be challenging because it's a 3-stage paint process.
Old 09-02-19, 09:24 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I cannot imagine that ever happening if the painting was done by one of the Lexus Certified Collision Centers.
Old 09-02-19, 10:13 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pagatz808
Yes i I will notify my insurance and most likely go to a different shop.
Unfortunately, you'll almost certainly end up with a bumper that has its fresh 'wrong' paint job (clearcoat) sanded down some to prepare it for repainting. You'll end up with a bumper that has twice the amount of paint/clearcoat on it, which can cause it to alligator crack over time. Also, if the second body shop uses a different paint type and/or paint process, it can cause paint defects to show up down the road.

Sadly, what the first body shop did actually prevents the second body shop from making the bumper's paint job be as good as it should. On top of that, you have to deal with your car being in the dusty body shop environment a second time getting sanding dust, etc. all inside and outside the car.
Old 09-02-19, 10:19 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

I have a Starfire pearl GS. Before I bought the car as CPO from Lexus, I told them that I wouldn't buy it b/c the rear bumper was too scratched-up. They refinished the bumper and it color matched perfectly, except that the bumper to this day looks newer and more vibrant. I've had several rear bumpers painted over the years and the bumper always ends up looking "newer" than the fender or trunk.

I think the sun, different seasons, rain, snow, outdoor exposure to chemicals, pollutants, automatic car washes and overall care (garaged, regularly washed/waxed/paint corrected) can all affect the finish. Keep in mind that there is always a potential for it looking slightly different from your existing finish (hope you hear good news from your insurance co.)
Old 09-02-19, 01:12 PM
Pagatz808
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately, you'll almost certainly end up with a bumper that has its fresh 'wrong' paint job (clearcoat) sanded down some to prepare it for repainting. You'll end up with a bumper that has twice the amount of paint/clearcoat on it, which can cause it to alligator crack over time. Also, if the second body shop uses a different paint type and/or paint process, it can cause paint defects to show up down the road.

Sadly, what the first body shop did actually prevents the second body shop from making the bumper's paint job be as good as it should. On top of that, you have to deal with your car being in the dusty body shop environment a second time getting sanding dust, etc. all inside and outside the car.
You think the body that screwed up would be able to fix it the right way or should I just find another body shop and hopefully they’ll be able to match it.

called my insurance but since it’s a holiday there’s no answer. Will call tomorrow
Old 09-02-19, 01:13 PM
Pagatz808
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AJLex19
I have a Starfire pearl GS. Before I bought the car as CPO from Lexus, I told them that I wouldn't buy it b/c the rear bumper was too scratched-up. They refinished the bumper and it color matched perfectly, except that the bumper to this day looks newer and more vibrant. I've had several rear bumpers painted over the years and the bumper always ends up looking "newer" than the fender or trunk.

I think the sun, different seasons, rain, snow, outdoor exposure to chemicals, pollutants, automatic car washes and overall care (garaged, regularly washed/waxed/paint corrected) can all affect the finish. Keep in mind that there is always a potential for it looking slightly different from your existing finish (hope you hear good news from your insurance co.)
Will keep you guys updated on the outcome tomorrow. Hopefully good news
Old 09-02-19, 01:47 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pagatz808
You think the body that screwed up would be able to fix it the right way or should I just find another body shop and hopefully they’ll be able to match it.

called my insurance but since it’s a holiday there’s no answer. Will call tomorrow
That's a question that's difficult to know the answer. If the body shop that butchered the paint color so badly is known for doing good work then maybe your paint job was done by an inexperienced new employee, which is not their 'normal' good work. It's impossible to say if they are [even] capable of doing the job right. I would tend to say they cannot be trusted to do it right - because someone there told you that to get the bumper color to match the rest of the car the car needs paint correction by a detailer. From what I'm seeing that advice is ludicrous. I guess that guy thought he could get rid of you by telling you this. The problem I have is that there is no way under the sun that he believes what he told you. In other words, the guy told you a big fat lie to get rid of you.

Here is what I would do if it was my car. I would drive the car to my insurance agent's office fifteen minutes away and show him what the problem is. He would agree with me that the paint color is nowhere close to being right and I should not have to accept such poor workmanship. (How do I know he would agree with me? Because he insures multiple vehicles and multiple properties for me. And, I have recommended him to others in which he insures tens of millions in property for them.) I would then tell him that I want to start over with either a brand new bumper or have the bumper completely stripped, and have a body shop that does custom work to paint it to match. He would agree with me and tell me to choose whoever I wanted to have do it...and he would make it happen. Note: That may not be what your insurance agent company allows you to do, so you might not get what you ask for. All they can tell you is 'no', and then you'll have to work out something the best you can with either your insurance company or with the incompetent body shop that screwed up a simple little paint job.

Last edited by bclexus; 09-02-19 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-02-19, 04:19 PM
Pagatz808
Driver School Candidate

That's a question that's difficult to know the answer. If the body shop that butchered the paint color so badly is known for doing good work then maybe your paint job was done by an inexperienced new employee, which is not their 'normal' good work. It's impossible to say if they are [even] capable of doing the job right. I would tend to say they cannot be trusted to do it right - because someone there told you that to get the bumper color to match the rest of the car the car needs paint correction by a detailer. From what I'm seeing that advice is ludicrous. I guess that guy thought he could get rid of you by telling you this. The problem I have is that there is no way under the sun that he believes what he told you. In other words, the guy told you a big fat lie to get rid of you.

Here is what I would do if it was my car. I would drive the car to my insurance agent's office fifteen minutes away and show him what the problem is. He would agree with me that the paint color is nowhere close to being right and I should not have to accept such poor workmanship. (How do I know he would agree with me? Because he insures multiple vehicles and multiple properties for me. And, I have recommended him to others in which he insures tens of millions in property for them.) I would then tell him that I want to start over with either a brand new bumper or have the bumper completely stripped, and have a body shop that does custom work to paint it to match. He would agree with me and tell me to choose whoever I wanted to have do it...and he would make it happen. Note: That may not be what your insurance agent company allows you to do, so you might not get what you ask for. All they can tell you is 'no', and then you'll have to work out something the best you can with either your insurance company or with the incompetent body shop that screwed up a simple little paint job.
Thats what I will tell my Insurance tomorrow. Not satisfied with the end product

Quick Reply: Bumper Doesn’t Match Body