Bumper Protection for GS

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-19, 08:06 AM
DeepBlue99
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Bumper Protection for GS

Hey Guys,

As I'm shopping around for my new GS, my thoughts keep circling back to the dreaded parking situation I constantly have to deal with in NYC. Now in all honesty, its really not that bad overall especially in the outer boroughs. But all it would take is just one a-hole to completely ruin ones day. Just the other day, I come out of the gym and find some piece of crap jeep parked right up against the rear bumper of my RX-350. No big deal, its wife's car, plus it has front and back metal bumper guards just for this sort of thing. But what if I been driving my new GS-350 or GS-F?

My question is, what do you guys use for temp (parking) bumper protection? I was thinking of getting something like this for front and back. According to reviews I've read, these sort of guards seem to be effective to a degree (better than nothing for sure) and are easy to put on and take off in minutes.

What do you guys think? Is anyone here using something like this on their GS? If so, any opinion regarding which product provides best fit for GS bumpers?

Old 09-07-19, 08:12 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Nothing is going to prevent the idiots in NYC from damaging your car...except to move.

Old 09-07-19, 08:17 AM
DeepBlue99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bclexus
Nothing is going to prevent the idiots in NYC from damaging your car...except to move.

Ha! Yes, I've seen this sort of thing. Granted, only a few times in the last 20 years or so. Speaking of moving. Yes, I am indeed on the way out. Move is imminent at this point. Unfortunately, if I wait for the move, I will have to hold off on my purchase for as much as 6-12 months. Will need something for now or will just have to wait.
Old 09-07-19, 01:40 PM
Astrokat
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It would be wise to wait the 6-12 months until you move, unless you opt to pay for a parking spot or garage (even then nothing is guranteed). Plus your insurance is going to be bananas.
Old 09-07-19, 08:17 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

Parking is such a headache in the city and outer-boroughs when it comes to bumper protection. I personally use the $40 bumper bully (bought locally) for the rear and use a license plate bump shox for the front. So far this combination has worked for me but I typically don't leave my car parked on the street for more than 4 hours at a time.

I've know folks have done the Paint Protection Film (PPF) from 3M to protect the bumper (like this one:
Amazon Amazon
) AND use bumper protectors too!

You can easily spend $500-$1000 (DIY) as a preventative measure for just your bumpers. IMHO, this combination of PPF and bumper protectors that wrap around like the one you mentioned would be best to ensure your bumpers are protected while street parking in NYC... regardless of the car you end up getting.
Old 09-07-19, 08:59 PM
DeepBlue99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Parking is such a headache in the city and outer-boroughs when it comes to bumper protection. I personally use the $40 bumper bully (bought locally) for the rear and use a license plate bump shox for the front. So far this combination has worked for me but I typically don't leave my car parked on the street for more than 4 hours at a time.

I've know folks have done the Paint Protection Film (PPF) from 3M to protect the bumper (like this one: https://www.amazon.com/2013-LEXUS-GS.../dp/B00BLY2NC2) AND use bumper protectors too!

You can easily spend $500-$1000 (DIY) as a preventative measure for just your bumpers. IMHO, this combination of PPF and bumper protectors that wrap around like the one you mentioned would be best to ensure your bumpers are protected while street parking in NYC... regardless of the car you end up getting.
Thanks AJLex.

I rarely park on the street for more than a few hours and haven't driven into the city in over 5 years. Can always drive wife's RX if I need to go into the higher traffic areas if necessary.

I am familiar with the bumper bully. Had it on wife's car before getting the metal bumper guards. Seems decent enough if you just use it for parking protection. See a lot of people driving around with them, which looks nasty, especially after they start to sag in the middle. It seems to me that his wraparound deal is an evolution of bumper bully style shield, plus these cover the sides as well. Bumpshox is a great idea. Will definitely get one.

Honestly, I have heard the term PPF, but know nothing about it. My impression was that it was protection from paint chips and such. Seems it can do a lot more than that. Will definitely look into it. Additional cost doesn't scare me given that any paintwork it will prevent will be a lot more expensive.