GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2018 F Sport... AC not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-19, 09:58 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

6 servos and I only had 1 changed.... hope the remaining ones are problem free, or fail during warranty. Geez....
Old 12-12-19, 10:34 AM
TarmacSL3
Intermediate

Received 245 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I thought it sounded like bad servos. With 7 hours of labor it sounds like the technician had to remove a lot of the dash to get to the servos. Do you see any results of that, or do you know (from asking the service advisor) if your dash was removed?
I was dark when I picked up the car but on the way to work this morning I did not notice any signs of the dash being taken apart, but the service advisor did say they had to take it apart. I will keep a watch full eye and ear to look and listen for any signs of it not being put back together correctly. But 4 out of 6 to go bad at once!!! not a good sign of this not happening again.
Old 12-12-19, 10:35 AM
TarmacSL3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chinee
6 servos and I only had 1 changed.... hope the remaining ones are problem free, or fail during warranty. Geez....
Same here if the remaining 2 fail they better fail before my warranty runs out
Old 12-12-19, 10:44 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by TarmacSL3
I was dark when I picked up the car but on the way to work this morning I did not notice any signs of the dash being taken apart, but the service advisor did say they had to take it apart. I will keep a watch full eye and ear to look and listen for any signs of it not being put back together correctly. But 4 out of 6 to go bad at once!!! not a good sign of this not happening again.
Yep, like I said in a previous post in this thread - "not a good situation at all...and not something you want to deal with." I hope you don't find any signs (rattles, marks, etc.) from all the disassembly and reassembly.

Replacing a servo only takes a minute or two, the problem is gaining access to them. It's kind of like replacing piston rings...
Old 12-12-19, 06:25 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Do u guys see any scratches and marks on ur dash after the repair? I just got my radio replaced and they managed to scratch the naguri aluminum piece in front of the seat heater button and nicked the seat heater button a little. Nobody will see it but for an OCD like me, it's there. Plus there are scuff marks on the silver faceplate of the radio that won't wipe away. I'm starting to think they gave me a refurbished or used unit.
Old 12-13-19, 08:01 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Part of the reason I haven't had dealer address my random sunroof rattle. The tech I know stated sometimes more rattles can appear after a major disassembly. Having to remove my dash would be nightmare for me.
Old 12-13-19, 08:23 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
Part of the reason I haven't had dealer address my random sunroof rattle. The tech I know stated sometimes more rattles can appear after a major disassembly. Having to remove my dash would be nightmare for me.
Yeah, if it's just minor stuff just live with it. Not worth fixing and end up with more problems.
Old 12-16-19, 06:05 AM
TarmacSL3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Yeah, if it's just minor stuff just live with it. Not worth fixing and end up with more problems.
So I did not notice any scratches to the trim or any damage to the dash or surrounding areas but this weekend while on the highway I did notice a very low rattle coming from the dash right above the instrument cluster...very annoying but I could only hear it at 70+ with the radio off, if the volume was at 8 could not hear it or if I put my hand on the dash it would stop.. still contemplating if I should take it back for them to attempt to fix which like you said could cause even more problems and much louder rattles by them having to take the dash apart again.
Old 10-23-20, 05:56 PM
MGs350
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

@chinee Thanks for directing me here!

I have a 2015 gs350 rwd and had the same issue about a year ago and it went away or was fixed on its own. Today, the same happened to my car where the passenger side air was warm and not actual AC cold air like the drivers side. Toggled with the system between various settings to fix it but nothing. Just now, I went out in my car and looks like this is back to normal now. I'm thinking if I go to the dealership they may say no issue found. I need to go back and recheck this. It's starting to cool down in LA so will be using the hearer more during nights so possibly may come across this again..
Old 10-23-20, 07:22 PM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

So this servo motor is a ticking time bomb for those out of factory warranty?
Old 10-23-20, 09:43 PM
chinee
Racer

I believe the failing servo throws a code so it may show up if you connect a scanner tool. Check Tarmac's invoice where they replaced 4 servos, the codes are listed.

As for a ticking time bomb... just a few of us has had this issue, so I doubt it... and I hope not.
The following users liked this post:
byungkuk (10-23-20)
Old 10-24-20, 01:59 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Looking at the service records of my 2016, the damper servo subassembly was changed on my car at 28k last with the previous owner. I do remember reading about/watching a video about a recalibration on the IS. I have a Techstream cable so that is the first thing I would check if I had an issue.
Old 11-13-20, 07:08 AM
chinee
Racer

Saw this TSB on the other thread HERE and lost a smidgen of confidence in the AC Servos... so decided to adjust them and see if they would operate correctly. (2018 F Sport with ~18K miles)

This morning, I turned up the heat to 85 to get the heater working. A few minutes later I readjusted the temperature downwards. Another few minutes pass and I realize the air from the vents was still blowing hot. Here's what the AC was set to, and what temperature was blowing out the vent at 9:14am, front and rear. (oh crap, not again!)

Shut the car off for a few minutes and restarted. The air from the vents was cool again, so I set the temps up again for about 1 minute, then reduced the temps to LO again... still blowing hot, here's front-center, driver's side and rear temps.. Made an appt. with the dealer for 7:30am tomorrow morning.

Last edited by chinee; 11-13-20 at 07:12 AM.
Old 11-13-20, 07:11 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

Wow again? Less than a year later? Is there a DIY on this
Old 11-13-20, 07:17 AM
chinee
Racer

Actually more like 13 months later, but that still does not instill much confidence.

I would suggest that other owners test their ACs while still under warranty... it's an expensive fix.

The following users liked this post:
websurfer (11-18-20)

Quick Reply: 2018 F Sport... AC not working