GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-20, 05:40 PM
DuB
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
PM me your email address and I'll forward you the email with the latest firmware upgrade from my contact at Carlinkit.

The newest firmaware improved the feedback with the car navigation mouse and makes it easier to navigate the carplay/carlinkit. Also some other changes.
PM sent. Awesome, thank you so much for all the help. Yeah I noticed the mouse is a bit clunky to use, I think my wife will find that annoying so it's great that there's a fix. Thanks again!
Old 02-16-20, 05:48 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by DuB
PM sent. Awesome, thank you so much for all the help. Yeah I noticed the mouse is a bit clunky to use, I think my wife will find that annoying so it's great that there's a fix. Thanks again!
I just emailed you the firmware update. yes the mouse control is much better after the update.
Old 02-16-20, 09:21 PM
kAnwEic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had beatsonic installed two weeks ago on 2016 RX350 12.3in screen and returned, waiting to give Carlinkit a try.

things I didn’t like about beatsonic:
- Nowhere to adjust settings especially for the display, looks super high contrast and bright, can hardly distinguish the roads from the land in day mode on both Apple map and Google map. I’ve turned the native display settings to the extreme but still far from being good.
- Does not support full screen on 12.3 wide screen unless you stretch it like hell.
- Not friendly to upgrades, two boxes and a CAN board each has its own port for firmware update, likely I’ll have to remove the head unit every time for updates, unless I drag two more cables out.

A few questions about the Carlinkit:
- I heard night mode can’t be activated when turning on headlight, is it true? Beatsonic does support it which is not crucial to functionality but neat.
- Does it work well with the factory OEM 360 camera? Again beatsonic did a good job.

Bye beatsonic:

Old 02-16-20, 09:29 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kAnwEic
Had beatsonic installed two weeks ago on 2016 RX350 12.3in screen and returned, waiting to give Carlinkit a try.

things I didn’t like about beatsonic:
- Nowhere to adjust settings especially for the display, looks super high contrast and bright, can hardly distinguish the roads from the land in day mode on both Apple map and Google map. I’ve turned the native display settings to the extreme but still far from being good.
- Does not support full screen on 12.3 wide screen unless you stretch it like hell.
- Not friendly to upgrades, two boxes and a CAN board each has its own port for firmware update, likely I’ll have to remove the head unit every time for updates, unless I drag two more cables out.

A few questions about the Carlinkit:
- I heard night mode can’t be activated when turning on headlight, is it true? Beatsonic does support it which is not crucial to functionality but neat.
- Does it work well with the factory OEM 360 camera? Again beatsonic did a good job.

Bye beatsonic:
I heard night mode can’t be activated when turning on headlight, is it true?
I have my nightmode set in the android auto to always on since I prefer the map view in night mode, but I think you can set it so the car controls it.

Does it work well with the factory OEM 360 camera?
Yes it works with 360 camera there are settings for the 360 camera in carlinkit, my car doesn't have a 360 camera so I would not have any experience with it.
The following users liked this post:
kAnwEic (02-16-20)
Old 02-16-20, 10:36 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

The carlinkit is easy to upgrade firmware, just connect to the usb port on the unit for upgrades. I have the carlinkit USB connected directly to the usb port in my center console with an adapter. Also instead of 3 pieces of hardware like Beasonic, it's all in one box with the carlinkit.
Old 02-16-20, 11:19 PM
DuB
Intermediate

Finally installed mine! It's a bit clunkier than I expected, but it's still nice. I still need to figure out how to get it to connect wirelessly. Thank you for the firmware update peasodos!

I installed a camera on the license plate holder.

I can see if my lip is about to hit something

[previous text deleted to avoid confusion/misinformation. You can see orig text quoted in peasodo's post below if you're really interested]

I ordered this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SR8L777/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SR8L777/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I unplugged the USB from the back of the headunit (as recommended by peasodos), plugged in the cable, which I plugged into the carlinkit.

What are these two cords for?

Last edited by DuB; 02-17-20 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-16-20, 11:33 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DuB
Finally installed mine! It's a bit clunkier than I expected, but it's still nice. I still need to figure out how to get it to connect wirelessly. Thank you for the firmware update peasodos!

I installed a camera on the license plate holder.

I can see if my lip is about to hit something

How'd you connect to the center console USB ports? The plug doesn't quite reach the USB ports, so I tried using an USB extension cord, but it won't allow Android Auto to activate. I have to have the phone plugged directly into the carlinkit.

Did not work:
[carlinkit] - [USB extension] - [USB cord] - [phone]

Works:
[carlinkit] - [USB cord] - [phone]

I ordered this, but it connects to the wrong side. Plugs into the wires coming to the USB plug, but not the USB plug.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I need to order this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...N6D128EB&psc=1

​​​​​​​What are these two cords for?
You pull the gray plug from the back of the radio i marked it in a pic I sent you before(that gray plug goes directly the to usb ports). Then you connect that to the adapter, connect the usb side of the adapter to the usb extension, and plug the usb extension to the carlinkit.
You might need to get the single usb from a 2013-2015 GS, I'm not sure if it will work correctly with the dual usb port on the 2016+ GS.

The cord on the left goes into the back of the 12.3" display, then the other end connects to the original harness coming from the car, but I don't think you car needs it. It's only if your screen is flashing.

The cord on the right is for the wireless carplay/android auto. You screw that onto the carlinkit box. I mounted the antenna on top of the radio/head unit.

If your using android auto you have to enable developer options, go into that and tick a box to enable the wireless feature. They when you start the car and switch the screen it, you phone pops up and you select it and android auto loads. if you don't have the antenna attached to the carplay box the wirless carplay/android auto will not work.

Last edited by peasodos; 02-16-20 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-16-20, 11:41 PM
DuB
Intermediate

You pull the gray plug from the back of the radio i marked it in a pic I sent you before(that gray plug goes directly the to usb ports). Then you connect that to the adapter, connect the usb side of the adapter to the usb extension, and plug the usb extension to the carlinkit.
You might need to get the single usb from a 2013-2015 GS, I'm not sure if it will work correctly with the dual usb port on the 2016+ GS.

The cord on the left goes into the back of the 12.3" display, then the other end connects to the original harness coming from the car, but I don't think you car needs it. It's only if your screen is flashing.

The cord on the right is for the wireless carplay/android auto. You screw that onto the carlinkit box. I mounted the antenna on top of the radio/head unit.

If your using android auto you have to enable developer options, go into that and tick a box to enable the wireless feature. They when you start the car and switch the screen it, you phone pops up and you select it and android auto loads. if you don't have the antenna attached to the carplay box the wirless carplay/android auto will not work.
dang dude, you're on fire! Thanks AGAIN for the help! It looks like I need to get back in there tomorrow.
Old 02-16-20, 11:43 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DuB
dang dude, you're on fire! Thanks AGAIN for the help! It looks like I need to get back in there tomorrow.

Don't install the chord on the left(only needed if your screen flashes), only the antenna on the right.
Old 02-16-20, 11:59 PM
kAnwEic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The carlinkit is easy to upgrade firmware, just connect to the usb port on the unit for upgrades. I have the carlinkit USB connected directly to the usb port in my center console with an adapter. Also instead of 3 pieces of hardware like Beasonic, it's all in one box with the carlinkit.
Totally, this is another advantage I’d expect over beatsonic. One possible downside I guess might be customer service, beatsonic guys are super nice and helpful and they do know their product.
Old 02-17-20, 12:04 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Totally, this is another advantage I’d expect over beatsonic. One possible downside I guess might be customer service, beatsonic guys are super nice and helpful and they do know their product.
I have a cell number for someone from carlinkit, they gave me when I asked for support. I just message the person in whatsapp and they are fairly quick to respond, considering they are in China.
kAnwEic (02-17-20)
Old 02-17-20, 08:56 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

So this guy in the GX forum setup an aftermarket 360 bird view system:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...completed.html

I asked carlinkit if it was possible to wire a switch to switch to external video input and not just in reverse or selecting it through their UI. Waiting on that response, if possible that would make the system much more useful.
Old 02-17-20, 11:49 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

ok, so I tested out my girlfriends iPhone, I need to get an iPhone asap!

The Carlinkit was clearly designed for Carplay, zero stretch and as soon as you turn on the car and hold the menu button carplay is automatically connected on the 12.3" display.

With android there is currently a stretch and you have to select your phone to wireless connect. The picture quality in person is amazing!.

Last edited by peasodos; 02-17-20 at 11:55 AM.
Measured (03-01-20)
Old 02-17-20, 12:01 PM
DuB
Intermediate

Yeah, all the menus address iPhones, and the android support seems like an afterthought.

So I hooked up the USB through the adapter cord (I'll edit the above post so it won't be confusing) and the phone connects, but it's a bit iffy. I might need to get the single port from the pre-2016.

Stangely, the wireless Android Auto only pops up after plugging it in via USB. After that, the icon shows up and I can connect without issues.
​​​​​​
Old 02-17-20, 12:07 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DuB
Yeah, all the menus address iPhones, and the android support seems like an afterthought.

So I hooked up the USB through the adapter cord (I'll edit the above post so it won't be confusing) and the phone connects, but it's a bit iffy. I might need to get the single port from the pre-2016.

Stangely, the wireless Android Auto only pops up after plugging it in via USB. After that, the icon shows up and I can connect without issues.
​​​​​​
Yes you defiantly need the single usb port from pre 2016. Lexus/Toyota also uses that in other cars.
My android phone pops up and I have to select it and it wirelessly connects/ loads android auto. I don't connect it to the usb at all.

Last edited by peasodos; 02-17-20 at 12:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319