GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-20 | 11:53 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=Gold10460;10757350]
Originally Posted by peasodos

Thanks for the reply. I just ordered one. Do you have any issues with it while using Apple Carplay ? Where did you end up mounting the box ?
I mounted mine where beatsonic mounts it in their install video, behind the glove box, double sided taped to a computer module.
The antenna I double sided taped to the top of the head unit, metal plate were the model number is on.

I've been using my girlfriends iphone and there are zero issues with Carplay. The Carlinkit was designed for carplay and android auto was added later.
The picture quality and carplay loading at startup is much better than android auto.

I still plan on getting an iphone XS, will have one in the next few weeks.
Old 03-12-20 | 12:02 PM
Gold10460
Rookie

[QUOTE=peasodos;10757381]
Originally Posted by Gold10460

I mounted mine where beatsonic mounts it in their install video, behind the glove box, double sided taped to a computer module.
The antenna I double sided taped to the top of the head unit, metal plate were the model number is on.

I've been using my girlfriends iphone and there are zero issues with Carplay. The Carlinkit was designed for carplay and android auto was added later.
The picture quality and carplay loading at startup is much better than android auto.

I still plan on getting an iphone XS, will have one in the next few weeks.
great ! Thanks again.
Old 03-12-20 | 12:10 PM
Hues10
Advanced

Ok, so this CarPlay unit will work wirelessly with IPhones, and utilizes the factory mic, and we do not lose any functionality like rear view camera or the mouse toggle control? If that is true, and you have an Apple phone, why does anyone go for the GROM or BeatSonic units which do not have wireless carplay and are more expensive. I have a 2013 GS 450h, is it compatible with that head unit? What am I missing, as I may do this mod. Seems like a no brainer.

Thanks
Old 03-12-20 | 12:16 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hues10
Ok, so this CarPlay unit will work wirelessly with IPhones, and utilizes the factory mic, and we do not lose any functionality like rear view camera or the mouse toggle control? If that is true, and you have an Apple phone, why does anyone go for the GROM or BeatSonic units which do not have wireless carplay and are more expensive. I have a 2013 GS 450h, is it compatible with that head unit? What am I missing, as I may do this mod. Seems like a no brainer.

Thanks
So this CarPlay unit will work wirelessly with IPhones, and utilizes the factory mic, and we do not lose any functionality like rear view camera or the mouse toggle control?
Correct!

If that is true, and you have an Apple phone, why does anyone go for the GROM or BeatSonic units which do not have wireless carplay and are more expensive.
Those companies are milking it, Carlinkit is trying to make a name for itself. IDK why they don't have wireless carplay. Also GROM has more capabilities since it's android based, but also has a lot of bugs.

I have a 2013 GS 450h, is it compatible with that head unit?
Currently as far as I know it will only work on 2016+ GS head unit with full screen maps. The split screen in the 2013-2015 causes issues with the mouse control, I documented this earlier in the thread when I had a 2015 head unit installed in my car.

The following users liked this post:
Measured (03-12-20)
Old 03-12-20 | 04:12 PM
Gold10460
Rookie

So this CarPlay unit will work wirelessly with IPhones, and utilizes the factory mic, and we do not lose any functionality like rear view camera or the mouse toggle control?
Correct!

If that is true, and you have an Apple phone, why does anyone go for the GROM or BeatSonic units which do not have wireless carplay and are more expensive.
Those companies are milking it, Carlinkit is trying to make a name for itself. IDK why they don't have wireless carplay. Also GROM has more capabilities since it's android based, but also has a lot of bugs.

Currently as far as I know it will only work on 2016+ GS head unit with full screen maps. The split screen in the 2013-2015 causes issues with the mouse control, I documented this earlier in the thread when I had a 2015 head unit installed in my car.
I’ll be installing this in a 2017. Hopefully it works well. I’ve been on the fence for a while. While the Beatsonic looks like it works well, I can’t understand why they can’t get their units in one box for a easier install. With so many exposed cables, damage is probable. Grom now has wireless AA & Carplay , but that unit has way more capability than I require.
Old 03-12-20 | 04:32 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

While the Beatsonic looks like it works well, I can’t understand why they can’t get their units in one box for a easier install. With so many exposed cables, damage is probable. Grom now has wireless AA & Carplay , but that unit has way more capability than I require.
That's my exact reaction too when I first saw the Beatsonic demo unit. What a mess of wires and harnesses. It's like they rush it out the door just to compete with GROM and not care what the users have to go thru to install that damn mess. I have a 2015, so GROM is my only choice. Nonetheless, very good to see competition and choices. All good for us. Hopefully GROM will lower their price. $600 is too steep for what it does IMO.
Old 03-12-20 | 10:10 PM
chrispy

So I installed my Carlinkit on my 2016 GSF today. It took some messing around with the settings to get the wireless Carplay to work on my iPhone 11 Pro Max. I updated the firmware that @peasodos sent me but I don't know if it did anything because it was possibly already on the latest firmware. So far it works great. It works seamlessly and the screen is not stretched or weird. I don't know if I will even run the USB cable because the wireless Carplay already works so well. Few adjustments I had to do:

Set the car to play music from AUX and not bluetooth. That way, it will play from Carplay and not your factory bluetooth audio.
I was not able to set up wireless Carplay until I plugged my iPhone in for the system to detect it first.
The steering wheel controls were incorrect at first but I changed the wheel switch setting to "swapped" and now the buttons function as factory.

I need to relocate the box into a better spot. It's wedged behind the screen but it's a tight fit. I can't put it behind the cluster because I have HUD and it doesn't fit back there. Also, I dropped one of the bolts that hold the screen in. I don't think it'll cause any rattles but does anyone know where I can find a part number for it? Is there a way to have the reverse camera full screen?
The following users liked this post:
CAKETOWN (03-12-20)
Old 03-13-20 | 02:27 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chrispy
So I installed my Carlinkit on my 2016 GSF today. It took some messing around with the settings to get the wireless Carplay to work on my iPhone 11 Pro Max. I updated the firmware that @peasodos sent me but I don't know if it did anything because it was possibly already on the latest firmware. So far it works great. It works seamlessly and the screen is not stretched or weird. I don't know if I will even run the USB cable because the wireless Carplay already works so well. Few adjustments I had to do:

Set the car to play music from AUX and not bluetooth. That way, it will play from Carplay and not your factory bluetooth audio.
I was not able to set up wireless Carplay until I plugged my iPhone in for the system to detect it first.
The steering wheel controls were incorrect at first but I changed the wheel switch setting to "swapped" and now the buttons function as factory.

I need to relocate the box into a better spot. It's wedged behind the screen but it's a tight fit. I can't put it behind the cluster because I have HUD and it doesn't fit back there. Also, I dropped one of the bolts that hold the screen in. I don't think it'll cause any rattles but does anyone know where I can find a part number for it? Is there a way to have the reverse camera full screen?
I think you can only make an aftermarket camera go full screen, if you use the factory backup camera it will just switch to the regular factory camera output that's not full screen. I connected the iphone to the carlinkit wifi and that enables the carplay/pairs it to the car.
Your correct the carlinkits ship with the latest firmware, so the one I gave you was the same.
Old 03-13-20 | 04:24 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Peasodos, this is what I originally thought, but when I went out to the alienexpress website, it said it was for the GS 2012-19 model years. Should know that the GS generation is really from 13- now. Thanks. I will stick with what I have. For now.....
Old 03-13-20 | 04:32 AM
Gold10460
Rookie

Originally Posted by chrispy

I’m happy to hear that you install was a success. Sucks about that bolt. What are the dip stick settings and what is the procedure for updating the box ? Curious for future iOS updates.
Old 03-13-20 | 04:35 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hues10

Peasodos, this is what I originally thought, but when I went out to the alienexpress website, it said it was for the GS 2012-19 model years. Should know that the GS generation is really from 13- now. Thanks. I will stick with what I have. For now.....
That's why I thought it would work but it didn't when I had the 2015 head unit. They haven't figured out a fix for the mouse control for the split screen. I checked yesterday and there are no new firmware updates.
Old 03-13-20 | 04:39 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

I’m happy to hear that you install was a success. Sucks about that bolt. What are the dip stick settings and what is the procedure for updating the box ? Curious for future iOS updates.
The settings for the dip switches were posted earlier in the thread, they come preset when you order.
You update the carlinkit with files on a usb stick you put in the usb input.
Old 03-13-20 | 04:42 AM
Gold10460
Rookie

I think you can only make an aftermarket camera go full screen, if you use the factory backup camera it will just switch to the regular factory camera output that's not full screen. I connected the iphone to the carlinkit wifi and that enables the carplay/pairs it to the car.
Your correct the carlinkits ship with the latest firmware, so the one I gave you was the same.
so , you connect your iPhone to Carlinkit wifi instead of aux and that handles all the audio as well as phone calls ?
Old 03-13-20 | 04:45 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

so , you connect your iPhone to Carlinkit wifi instead of aux and that handles all the audio as well as phone calls ?
You set audio to aux to get the audio from the phone and the carlinkit uses wifi to connect to your iphone to the box for Carplay.

The carlinkit takes over the aux input, no actual aux cable going to the phone.
Old 03-24-20 | 07:51 PM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

Originally Posted by YaMomma
I don't know about better than GROM, if you just want maps and audio streaming then it maybe a better alternative. People complain beatsonic's resolution isn't the best, I wonder if a cheaper alternative is any better.

The point in GROM is having a fully functioning android device allowing you to use any android app. Take a drive in my car with YouTube Music playing music video's vs just audio and you will see its much better than Android Auto or Apple Carplay. If I leave work late I can still watch live NFL games on my way home. Wreck on the highway and your just sitting there not moving, no worries I fire up Netflix or Hulu and get caught up on shows.

I almost wish I had never tired GROM because I wouldn't know what I was missing. Now I can never buy a car that doesn't provide the same options as GROM. I've used Android Auto before in another car and it doesn't come close to competing with GROM.
Which GROM product are you using? I'll trying to decide between GROM and Beatsonic.

Quick Reply: Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319