Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-20, 09:39 PM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Beatsonic is only wired Android Auto and wired Apple Carplay
Carlinkit is less expensive and wireless Apple Carplay, android auto not so great, designed primarily for Carplay.

GROM is a full android system with android auto and apply carplay, but it also has a bunch of hickups, crashes, bugs, seems like they solve them and create new ones with updates. If you can get over some issues it's a great system.

If you just want wireless Carplay(no need to connect phone), when you turn on the car phone automatically connects to the car, load Carplay, and bug free then Carlinkit is better.
Also I can screen mirror my iphone to the car screen.

I don't understand why Beatsonic doesn't have a wireless carplay/android auto.
Thanks for the information. I'd like to try Carlinkit, but I have an Android. I'm a little concerned about all of the buggy issues that GROM seems to have from user to user. I just wish that the Beatsonic system allowed for mouse control.
Old 03-28-20, 11:41 AM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

After using the Carlinkit kit for about two weeks, it's working pretty good. I'm using it with my iPhone 11 Pro Max. Two issues that seem intermittent. The joystick sometimes loses control and won't work again until I restart the car. Sometimes it comes back if I hold the back button and restart the system. That gets really annoying. The other issue is that during a call the person on the other line says my voice isn't clear unless I switch from Carplay to the factory car accessory system. Any fixes?
Old 03-29-20, 05:36 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispy
After using the Carlinkit kit for about two weeks, it's working pretty good. I'm using it with my iPhone 11 Pro Max. Two issues that seem intermittent. The joystick sometimes loses control and won't work again until I restart the car. Sometimes it comes back if I hold the back button and restart the system. That gets really annoying. The other issue is that during a call the person on the other line says my voice isn't clear unless I switch from Carplay to the factory car accessory system. Any fixes?
Sounds like your unit doesn’t have the latest firmware. I updated mine once and it fixed the mouse issue. My CarPlay does have any call issues. Contact the seller to get the latest firmware update.
The following users liked this post:
jazzandvo (06-30-21)
Old 03-31-20, 07:03 PM
Gold10460
Rookie

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

i just installed my unit. I have the same issues. Have you found a solution?

Originally Posted by chrispy
Old 04-01-20, 02:29 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gold10460
i just installed my unit. I have the same issues. Have you found a solution?
When did you buy it?
What version is your firmware, click on the lexus app in carplay, go to settings and take a pic of the firmware version.

I currently don't have any of these issues on my iphone Xs and the firmware update I got a month ago fixed the joystick issue.
Old 04-01-20, 10:33 AM
Measured
Advanced

Received 109 Likes on 59 Posts

I installed it last night into the vehicle. Which wasn't a difficult process at all. However, my concerns are the same as those above. The joystick isn't very smooth when in applications during Carplay. Which makes it a challenge when using it whilst driving. I still need to install the RF antenna into the system which should improve my connectivity.

On the 2017 GS350, the following DIP Switches need to be used as per the manual.

OFF 1, 4, 6, 7
ON 2, 3, 5

My initial experience with this would be a 80-85% overall satisfaction. Navigating is the biggest challenge as the background or original OS of the factory head unit is being selected as you navigate the overlay. Which has caused some unwanted functions to be selected. It's too early for me to tell if I would recommend this unit as I haven't fully evaluated it or have my concerns addressed.

Last edited by Measured; 04-01-20 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-01-20, 10:38 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Measured
I installed it last night into the vehicle. Which wasn't a difficult process at all. However, my concerns are the same as those above. The joystick isn't very smooth when in applications during Carplay. Which makes it a challenge when using it whilst driving. I still need to install the RF antenna into the system which should improve my connectivity.

On the 2017 GS350, the following DIP Switches need to be used as per the manual.

OFF 1, 4, 6, 7
ON 2, 3, 5, 8

My initial experience with this would be a 80-85% overall satisfaction. Navigating is the biggest challenge as the background or original OS of the factory head unit is being selected as you navigate the overlay. Which has caused some unwanted functions to be selected. It's too early for me to tell if I would recommend this unit as I haven't fully evaluated it or have my concerns addressed.

The RF antenna is for the wireless carplay/android auto. You need to install that. I attached mine to the top of the head unit(metal near the model number.
I think the problem is the antenna, that's why you have the issue in carplay. Install that and report back. I'll also double check my firmware version, but I think you have the latest one.
Old 04-01-20, 10:55 AM
Gold10460
Rookie

OFF 1, 4, 6, 7
ON 2, 3, 5, 8

I’ve installed it on my 2017 as well. I also get a pop sound when the unit turns on. Do you ?
Old 04-01-20, 10:57 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

I’ve installed it on my 2017 as well. I also get a pop sound when the unit turns on. Do you ?
Yeah that's normal also happens with beatsonic when you occupy the aux for audio.
Old 04-01-20, 11:01 AM
Gold10460
Rookie

Yeah that's normal also happens with beatsonic when you occupy the aux for audio.
😳 I will double check my firmware and dipstick settings, but I thought it was supposed to be 2,3 & 5 that were supposed to be on.
Old 04-01-20, 11:03 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

😳 I will double check my firmware and dipstick settings, but I thought it was supposed to be 2,3 & 5 that were supposed to be on.
Here are the settings for the dip switches:

Please attention : ON means down , OFF means up

DIP1: No function
DIP2: OFF for **** operation car model , ON for touch pad and joystick operation car model
DIP3 and DIP4 : OFF OFF for 7 inch and 8 inch screen , ON OFF for 12.3 inch screen, OFF ON for 10.3 inch and new 12.3 inch (there is a clock in screen), ON ON for old 7 inch screen
DIP5: set the steering wheel button function .When it is found that the next button function and the mode button function are reversed (the mode button function is to switch back to the original car, the **** model and the joystick model need to be ON)
DIP7 and DIP8 :set the original car without a microphone, the box itself provides a microphone bias circuit, the original car has a microphone can not be ON.
DIP7: After-market car microphone, and the original car is not biased,set ON
Dial 8: When installing a non-original small signal microphone ,set ON
Old 04-01-20, 11:11 AM
Gold10460
Rookie

Here are the settings for the dip switches:

Please attention : ON means down , OFF means up

DIP1: No function
DIP2: OFF for **** operation car model , ON for touch pad and joystick operation car model
DIP3 and DIP4 : OFF OFF for 7 inch and 8 inch screen , ON OFF for 12.3 inch screen, OFF ON for 10.3 inch and new 12.3 inch (there is a clock in screen), ON ON for old 7 inch screen
DIP5: set the steering wheel button function .When it is found that the next button function and the mode button function are reversed (the mode button function is to switch back to the original car, the **** model and the joystick model need to be ON)
DIP7 and DIP8 :set the original car without a microphone, the box itself provides a microphone bias circuit, the original car has a microphone can not be ON.
DIP7: After-market car microphone, and the original car is not biased,set ON
Dial 8: When installing a non-original small signal microphone ,set ON

From the seller
The following 2 users liked this post by Gold10460:
DavidL (07-10-21), Measured (04-01-20)
Old 04-01-20, 12:15 PM
Measured
Advanced

The antenna only impacts connectivity for Bluetooth and wifi. That did not and does not impact navigation. Much like a HDMI cable that ether works or doesn’t being a digital signal. With that said, I installed it and no change in navigation of the app​​​​​​. It did resolve the disconnection if the phone wasn’t close to the box. I had the phone right next to box last night as I was testing.

the manual does indicate 2, 3, and 5 to be selected

Questions or concerns I still have.

- pressing the on the steering wheel doesn’t activate SIRI. Is it suppose to?
- Is there a way to connect to Carplay physically?
- FYI pooping isn’t noticeable if you turn down your volume before turning off the vehicle

Can someone upload how the navigation is for them. I need a reference point.
Old 04-01-20, 01:09 PM
Measured
Advanced

Here's a video of what I am currently experiencing.

Old 04-01-20, 01:13 PM
Gold10460
Rookie

Here's a video of what I am currently experiencing.

Click Me
where did you mount the unit? The 2017 doesn’t have the space that the older models have under the glove box . I wedges mine under the glove box, but it’s tight.

Quick Reply: Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319