Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-20, 05:39 PM
denary
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=Gold10460;10780074]
Originally Posted by denary

This is the one sent in my kit. I asked tech last night on WhatsApp and they confirmed it was correct after I asked them about it. I suspected it was wrong according to the pictures uploaded

Seems backwards.

Tech provided this image with instructions to connect as shown - when i tried these, I had no mouse movement at all and screen would freeze.
Old 04-13-20, 07:30 PM
sfellows
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got everything working in my 2015 split 12" screen. Only issue I'm running into is the joystick toggle clicking on both sides of split screen, as peasodos mentioned before.
Here is what I did:
1. toggle switches 25 ON all others OFF

2. Connect new car split display cable to can cable, move grey loop cable end to old car display cable

3. Don't connect the white cable to the back of the screen, these instructions are correct:

There is a new MCU version, but I'm not sure if it will make any difference in the joystick toggle issue.

The default WIFI password is all 8s in case anyone runs into that issue. For wireless android auto, you have to go into phone settings and enable developer options, then go into android auto app > three dots top right menu > Developer Settings > Add wireless projection to settings. Then in android auto settings scroll down to Wireless projection > Enable wireless projection

Then to get your phone to connect to mobile internet while using wifi to connect android auto, go into wifi networks > Wi-Fi preferences and enable Auto switch to mobile data

After that, you just go into the Carlinkit settings and add it as a Carplay device and it will auto-connect going forward.

So far I'm able to go left/right using the joystick, and then move up and down using the arrows between menu and map buttons. I'm talking with Carlinkit customer service trying to get the split screen joystick issue resolved, but for now I am just using "ok google" to change navigation address, select apps, play/pause spotify, etc. It's actually easier than using the joystick anyway.

I really appreciate all the stuff people have posted because I wouldn't have figured any of it out without this thread. Hopefully this helps someone else too.
The following 2 users liked this post by sfellows:
DavidL (07-08-21), Gold10460 (04-13-20)
Old 04-14-20, 08:00 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by sfellows
I got everything working in my 2015 split 12" screen. Only issue I'm running into is the joystick toggle clicking on both sides of split screen, as peasodos mentioned before.
Here is what I did:
1. toggle switches 25 ON all others OFF

2. Connect new car split display cable to can cable, move grey loop cable end to old car display cable

3. Don't connect the white cable to the back of the screen, these instructions are correct:

There is a new MCU version, but I'm not sure if it will make any difference in the joystick toggle issue.

The default WIFI password is all 8s in case anyone runs into that issue. For wireless android auto, you have to go into phone settings and enable developer options, then go into android auto app > three dots top right menu > Developer Settings > Add wireless projection to settings. Then in android auto settings scroll down to Wireless projection > Enable wireless projection

Then to get your phone to connect to mobile internet while using wifi to connect android auto, go into wifi networks > Wi-Fi preferences and enable Auto switch to mobile data

After that, you just go into the Carlinkit settings and add it as a Carplay device and it will auto-connect going forward.

So far I'm able to go left/right using the joystick, and then move up and down using the arrows between menu and map buttons. I'm talking with Carlinkit customer service trying to get the split screen joystick issue resolved, but for now I am just using "ok google" to change navigation address, select apps, play/pause spotify, etc. It's actually easier than using the joystick anyway.

I really appreciate all the stuff people have posted because I wouldn't have figured any of it out without this thread. Hopefully this helps someone else too.
Yeah as far as I know they don't have a fix yet for the dual screen,
Old 04-14-20, 07:41 PM
SpinDrive
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peasodos
Yeah as far as I know they don't have a fix yet for the dual screen,
new to the forum, hi.

just messages them asking about 13-15’s and got this response...

Last edited by SpinDrive; 04-15-20 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Remove my name from email.. dope
Old 04-14-20, 08:25 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SpinDrive
new to the forum, hi.

Try it out and let us know. Worst case eBay has a 30 day return policy and the seller would have to provide the return label if it’s not as described.
Old 04-15-20, 10:07 AM
SpinDrive
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try it out and let us know. Worst case eBay has a 30 day return policy and the seller would have to provide the return label if it’s not as described.

I'm planning on it.

Have been following this thread for awhile hoping they would fix it.

Looks like they are atleast working on it, plus with other members having somewhat success with it, I think I'm ready to pull the trigger!
The following users liked this post:
Measured (04-15-20)
Old 04-15-20, 10:11 AM
Gold10460
Rookie

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm planning on it.

Have been following this thread for awhile hoping they would fix it.

Looks like they are atleast working on it, plus with other members having somewhat success with it, I think I'm ready to pull the trigger!
ATM I think Beatsonic or grom might be better suited to your situation.
Old 04-15-20, 10:48 AM
denary
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

new to the forum, hi.

I suspect this new cable harness is the one that was shipped with my recent order - which has the additional wires for split screen. I'm having difficulties getting this cable to work with my 2016 radio. I've been working with tech support trying to resolve my issues. They're having me try different Dip Switch setting and then switching out the green/white cables. It's still not working correctly and obviously frustrating as the radio and glove box are removed from the dash. Fortunately, I'm troubleshooting this during the crisis and have no real need to drive the car. Working with tech is a bit of a challenge as they do not come online until 11:30PM (est). This morning, I made a request to the tech via WhatsApp to send me the older cable - and I could test out to see if it resolves the issues I'm having. Waiting to hear back from them on this.

**Update** - I've been working with tech support to resolve the Carplay issue and it's been decided that the we can't determine if the issue is with the new harness cable or the unit itself. I was told they do not have any of the older cables available to send. With that, I'm throwing in the towel on this one for now. Tech support did tell me that they'll be testing my return once it's received and let me know if it was the box or cable that was the underlying issue.

Last edited by denary; 04-18-20 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Update on response from TS
Old 04-15-20, 10:52 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gold10460
ATM I think Beatsonic or grom might be better suited to your situation.
If the new cable and firmware works, it works. Beat-sonic and Grom cost $200 more. Beat-sonic is wired, Carlinkit is wireless.
Old 04-15-20, 11:11 AM
Gold10460
Rookie

If the new cable and firmware works, it works. Beat-sonic and Grom cost $200 more. Beat-sonic is wired, Carlinkit is wireless.
Well aware of the cost difference, that’s the primary reason why I chose Carlinkit. Just giving him working options.
Old 04-16-20, 08:32 AM
RMuniz
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok so I got these instructions from my contact at Carlinkit to fix the echo on the receivers end of a CarPlay call.

Were you able to reliably eliminate the echo?
Old 04-17-20, 05:03 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

just ordered mine from aliexpress so we'll see how long it takes to get delivered. curious to see what android auto is like but if carplay is better i still ahve an old iphone i can leave in the car to use on a hotspot
Old 04-17-20, 05:18 PM
sfellows
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They sent me an update that was supposed to solve the split screen joystick issues. It improved things a bit, but the cursor still ends up clicking both sides at the same time. I sent them a video and they said they're working on another update.

I also ran into an issue where a line appears through to the factory map at the bottom of the screen after putting the car in reverse. It only goes away if you exit the system and go back into it by holding down menu button. Hopefully that will be included in the new update as well.

For now, I'm just using "ok google" voice commands while driving and it's ok, but I think I'll only keep this thing installed if they fix the joystick issue. Will post again once I hear back from them.

Last edited by sfellows; 04-17-20 at 05:20 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-18-20, 08:08 AM
mariuszele
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello.
i have other box (bought in other source at 243$) But looks and works the same, with the same joystick issues.
my latest firmware received from support is

Firmware version
Please notice that box emulate mouse as ****, not like Beatsonic solution (mouse pointer) then repair this will be not easy, maybe not possible.
i think that only true mouse mode will solves problems......
I am in touch with support and waiting as well....
First software was:

BR Mariusz

Last edited by mariuszele; 04-18-20 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Foto upload
Old 04-18-20, 01:40 PM
Gold10460
Rookie

Originally Posted by DuB
When I have it connected via wireless Android Auto, and running Google navigation plus Pandora, it often cuts out like the wireless is losing reception, or running out of bandwidth. It happens enough that I don't use it very often and just run it off the phone through the OEM BT. Anyone else have this issue?
+1 Apple carplay

Quick Reply: Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319