GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-20, 06:09 PM
DuB
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

When I try to enter software update, I'm also being asked for a password when I try to update the MCU after flashing ISPBOOOT.BIN. Did you guys ever find a solution?

I think this system is too clunky for Android and not worth it. The wireless audio has a weak connection like the phone is almost out of range. The mouse is inconsistent, not to mention you can only go left/right reliably. Using google maps while playing audio leads to unpredictable behavior. Sometimes the unit steals control of the mouse even in the stock system, and rebooting the system or restarting the car does not restore control, and I just have to bear with it until I'm given access again later in the day or the next day.

I don't use the system at all these days. If it steals control of the mouse more often I'm going to uninstall it. But for now, I'm just leaving it in place and I hope future updates fix things.
Old 05-12-20, 01:29 AM
tantasticc
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DuB
When I try to enter software update, I'm also being asked for a password when I try to update the MCU after flashing ISPBOOOT.BIN. Did you guys ever find a solution?

I think this system is too clunky for Android and not worth it. The wireless audio has a weak connection like the phone is almost out of range. The mouse is inconsistent, not to mention you can only go left/right reliably. Using google maps while playing audio leads to unpredictable behavior. Sometimes the unit steals control of the mouse even in the stock system, and rebooting the system or restarting the car does not restore control, and I just have to bear with it until I'm given access again later in the day or the next day.

I don't use the system at all these days. If it steals control of the mouse more often I'm going to uninstall it. But for now, I'm just leaving it in place and I hope future updates fix things.
i dont own this system yet but I've been following it and i recall a member saying try password 4091. again i dk for sure thats the password or not. worth a try though
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (05-12-20)
Old 05-12-20, 01:35 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by tantasticc
i dont own this system yet but I've been following it and i recall a member saying try password 4091. again i dk for sure thats the password or not. worth a try though
Yes correct 4091 is the password. I updated in the past and was never asked for a password, but they randomly decided to put a password on this update without telling me. Only found out because of a post on this thread. I will update my update post with the password.
The following users liked this post:
DavidL (07-08-21)
Old 05-15-20, 06:16 AM
Far2Great
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys me again I received asked if this would work with my is and it does i pull the plug and order it on Saturday. I received it Wednesday and install it the same day. Every works and is working perfectly my only issue is the controls is kinda hard to maneuver
Old 05-15-20, 06:25 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Far2Great
Hey guys me again I received asked if this would work with my is and it does i pull the plug and order it on Saturday. I received it Wednesday and install it the same day. Every works and is working perfectly my only issue is the controls is kinda hard to maneuver
I created a post with the latest firmware, go here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post10791824

Update your firmware to the latest version if it's older and that should make the mouse control so much better. Basically left and right are the fastest/best way to navigate through the menu.
Old 05-15-20, 06:51 AM
Far2Great
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by peasodos
I created a post with the latest firmware, go here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post10791824

Update your firmware to the latest version if it's older and that should make the mouse control so much better. Basically left and right are the fastest/best way to navigate through the menu.
i install that yesterday but still feel the same
Old 05-15-20, 06:54 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

i install that yesterday but still feel the same
Basically left/right with the mouse is the best way to navigate. Up/down not as easily, also the up/down arrow works for some situations.
Old 05-15-20, 09:37 AM
Far2Great
Driver School Candidate

Quick question: apparently my steerwheel function stopped working overnight has anyone found a fix for that?
Old 05-15-20, 09:40 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Quick question: apparently my steering wheel function stopped working overnight has anyone found a fix for that?
Check the Carlinkit settings, if you are in carplay or android auto, click the Lexus app and it will take you to the Carlinkit interface.

I know there is a setting to change the up/down button on steering wheel, flip it. Try changing that.
Old 05-15-20, 07:05 PM
Far2Great
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by peasodos
Check the Carlinkit settings, if you are in carplay or android auto, click the Lexus app and it will take you to the Carlinkit interface.

I know there is a setting to change the up/down button on steering wheel, flip it. Try changing that.
that fixed it thanks 🙏 is there any way to fix the static im hearing?
Old 05-15-20, 11:45 PM
eggpizza
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys
while i was waiting for a reply back from china, the kit broke down and it doesn't work anymore.
i ended up trying to get a refund with out returning the kit to china.

for some of you guys, this china kit did worked fine without a problem.
but for my 2019 gs, it had a lot a problem from the beginning

1st, back up camera didn't work. and while i was using apple carplay, it was also effecting the original navi system causing AC to turning on and off.
2nd, customer service was shi&^y as it can be. (when you have a problem and send them a msg, good luck getting a reply back)
the answer that i get back from china after 4days after, they sent me a msg like "what problem?"
it's like they send you 1 msg back in 1 day. (i work with oversea vendor in USA and not every oversea vendor is like this, so this is the worst customer service that i ever had.)
3rd, i sent them a msg the kit doesnt work anymore through whatsapp, they read it, and ignored my msg
and i sent them a another msg, and they send me a msg right away saying, "you're not supposed to bend the wire" LMAF

i mean, this china cheap kit convinced me to buy it with "wireless apple carplay"

but hey if you can afford a lexus GS, just buy a Beat sonic, or Grom VL (which they now support wireless)

and thanks for peasodos trying to help me out.

Last edited by eggpizza; 05-16-20 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-16-20, 04:58 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts

Which is why I am sticking with the factory system in my 2013 GS. Seems like all of these car play units have too may tradeoffs. For me, I get in, push the button, stream music if I want, or listen to the radio. 98% of the time, I do not need navigation to know where I am going. Not knocking anyone, just still do not see the big deal. If I traveled more, then yes, the google 3D maps would be nice. My wifes Ipad can do that if need be. My 2 cents worth half a cent.
Old 05-16-20, 05:02 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eggpizza
hey guys
while i was waiting for a reply back from china, the kit broke down and it doesn't work anymore.
i ended up trying to get a refund with out returning the kit to china.

for some of you guys, this china kit did worked fine without a problem.
but for my 2019 gs, it had a lot a problem from the beginning

1st, back up camera didn't work. and while i was using apple carplay, it was also effecting the original navi system causing AC to turning on and off.
2nd, customer service was shi&^y as it can be. (when you have a problem and send them a msg, good luck getting a reply back)
the answer that i get back from china after 4days after, they sent me a msg like "what problem?"
it's like they send you 1 msg back in 1 day. (i work with oversea vendor in USA and not every oversea vendor is like this, so this is the worst customer service that i ever had.)
3rd, i sent them a msg the kit doesnt work anymore through whatsapp, they read it, and ignored my msg
and i sent them a another msg, and they send me a msg right away saying, "you're not supposed to bend the wire" LMAF

i mean, this china cheap kit convinced me to buy it with "wireless apple carplay"

but hey if you can afford a lexus GS, just buy a Beat sonic, or Grom VL (which they now support wireless)

and thanks for peasodos trying to help me out.
Yeah their customer support sucks. I should have given you my contact, they seem to be the only competent person at Carlinkit. Have helped out a few people here. I have my wires bent in all sorts of ways and no issue there, that's a BS excuse. Now I'm starting to wonder if these kits even come from the same factory and if there are multiple sellers. eBay or Amazon seems to be the only verified way to buy this, Alibaba maybe not so reliable, idk.

I was one of the first people in this forum to install this kit(maybe the first), maybe it was built better back then, idk. Or maybe 2019 is not supported somehow.

I have not had a single issue after the first firmware update. Carplay loads up within 15 seconds of turning the car on with my iPhone 11 Pro and everything just works as it should.
Old 05-16-20, 05:08 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

that fixed it thanks 🙏 is there any way to fix the static im hearing?
Do you have the input set to aux in the car? Check the audio settings in carlinkit. I'm not entirely sure, never had an audio issue.
There is a plug that daisy chains on the back of the radio for the aux input, might want to check that to make sure it's not loose.

Last edited by peasodos; 05-16-20 at 05:35 AM.
Old 05-16-20, 07:53 AM
denary
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I can attest to the really poor customer service. I had an issue with my carlinkit as well and ended up returning it. I contacted Customer Service via WhatsApp and was told the same thing - that it was my fault the kit wasn't working correctly due to bent pins. They now want to charge me $20 for a replacement cable. It cost me $43 to ship it back. What's most irritating is that during troubleshooting I suspected the issue was with the cable, but they wouldn't send me a replacement.

The contact peasodos provided is really great and I worked with him on troubleshooting - I reached out to him to assist on the return, but he can only assist if you purchased the item from eBay. The Aliexpress support in really poor and like eggpizza experienced, they do not always reply to messages on WhatsApp.

Quick Reply: Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319