GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-20, 08:02 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by denary
I can attest to the really poor customer service. I had an issue with my carlinkit as well and ended up returning it. I contacted Customer Service via WhatsApp and was told the same thing - that it was my fault the kit wasn't working correctly due to bent pins. They now want to charge me $20 for a replacement cable. It cost me $43 to ship it back. What's most irritating is that during troubleshooting I suspected the issue was with the cable, but they wouldn't send me a replacement.

The contact peasodos provided is really great and I worked with him on troubleshooting - I reached out to him to assist on the return, but he can only assist if you purchased the item from eBay. The Aliexpress support in really poor and like eggpizza experienced, they do not always reply to messages on WhatsApp.
If you buy this eBay or Amazon the seller has to provide a return label or they issuie a full refund without having to return it.

this happened to me last year when I tried to get this to work with my 2015 radio. I ended up selling it on CL and making money.

then this year I tried again with my 2016 radio and it worked.
Old 05-16-20, 04:13 PM
DuB
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DuB
When I try to enter software update, I'm also being asked for a password when I try to update the MCU after flashing ISPBOOOT.BIN. Did you guys ever find a solution?

I think this system is too clunky for Android and not worth it. The wireless audio has a weak connection like the phone is almost out of range. The mouse is inconsistent, not to mention you can only go left/right reliably. Using google maps while playing audio leads to unpredictable behavior. Sometimes the unit steals control of the mouse even in the stock system, and rebooting the system or restarting the car does not restore control, and I just have to bear with it until I'm given access again later in the day or the next day.

I don't use the system at all these days. If it steals control of the mouse more often I'm going to uninstall it. But for now, I'm just leaving it in place and I hope future updates fix things.
I forgot to mention that my steering wheel controls never worked.

I went to go update the software since you guys provided the password, but the screen wouldn't switch over. I can feel the control flip over, but the screen was stuck. Turn car on/off, restarted several times, no luck. Really disappointed in this device.

It stole control of the joystick on the way to work on Wednesday. I had forgotten that it was installed and I felt like it was taunting me to uninstall it lol.

I have peasodo's old unit if that makes any difference.
Old 05-16-20, 04:27 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DuB
I forgot to mention that my steering wheel controls never worked.

I went to go update the software since you guys provided the password, but the screen wouldn't switch over. I can feel the control flip over, but the screen was stuck. Turn car on/off, restarted several times, no luck. Really disappointed in this device.

It stole control of the joystick on the way to work on Wednesday. I had forgotten that it was installed and I felt like it was taunting me to uninstall it lol.

I have peasodo's old unit if that makes any difference.
there is a setting in Carlinkit to flip the up/down arrow in the steering wheel. If you change that should fix your steering wheel control
Old 05-16-20, 11:06 PM
eggpizza
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hues10
Which is why I am sticking with the factory system in my 2013 GS. Seems like all of these car play units have too may tradeoffs. For me, I get in, push the button, stream music if I want, or listen to the radio. 98% of the time, I do not need navigation to know where I am going. Not knocking anyone, just still do not see the big deal. If I traveled more, then yes, the google 3D maps would be nice. My wifes Ipad can do that if need be. My 2 cents worth half a cent.
i agree with you
it's shame on lexus for not having a carplay option on 2019 GS model. lol
but sticking with OEM navi system is good idea.
or buy a Navigation bypass to control navi system while your driving is good idea.
Old 05-16-20, 11:16 PM
eggpizza
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by peasodos
Yeah their customer support sucks. I should have given you my contact, they seem to be the only competent person at Carlinkit. Have helped out a few people here. I have my wires bent in all sorts of ways and no issue there, that's a BS excuse. Now I'm starting to wonder if these kits even come from the same factory and if there are multiple sellers. eBay or Amazon seems to be the only verified way to buy this, Alibaba maybe not so reliable, idk.

I was one of the first people in this forum to install this kit(maybe the first), maybe it was built better back then, idk. Or maybe 2019 is not supported somehow.

I have not had a single issue after the first firmware update. Carplay loads up within 15 seconds of turning the car on with my iPhone 11 Pro and everything just works as it should.
i should've asked you where you bought the kit
when i first read this post, i googled "Carlinkit" and first website i saw was aliexpress website.
that's why i bought this kit through aliexpress.
well, for me this was a learning lesson.
you get what you pay for. lol
no offence for those who purchased this kit and have no issue
but its always good to stick with OEM.

Last edited by eggpizza; 05-16-20 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-16-20, 11:32 PM
eggpizza
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by denary
I can attest to the really poor customer service. I had an issue with my carlinkit as well and ended up returning it. I contacted Customer Service via WhatsApp and was told the same thing - that it was my fault the kit wasn't working correctly due to bent pins. They now want to charge me $20 for a replacement cable. It cost me $43 to ship it back. What's most irritating is that during troubleshooting I suspected the issue was with the cable, but they wouldn't send me a replacement.

The contact peasodos provided is really great and I worked with him on troubleshooting - I reached out to him to assist on the return, but he can only assist if you purchased the item from eBay. The Aliexpress support in really poor and like eggpizza experienced, they do not always reply to messages on WhatsApp.
yea. that's why im trying to get a refund without returning a kit to china.
if i return a kit to china, they're going to try to find BS excuse not to refund the full amount to me.
i made a dispute? claim on aliexpress and they offered me a $200 refund and i accepted it.
i'll update what happens after.
Old 05-17-20, 01:00 AM
Measured
Advanced

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

I ordered mine on Aliexpress. I haven't had any issues with support (no whatsapp). Manged to get the most current update from them , I was able to resolve my mic echo following their instructions, and have had no issues with ownership. Is it perfect, heck no. Shame that a few folks have had issues and truthfully I am not surprised.
Old 05-17-20, 07:50 AM
TheCarGuy1
Driver School Candidate

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Measured
I ordered mine on Aliexpress. I haven't had any issues with support (no whatsapp). Manged to get the most current update from them , I was able to resolve my mic echo following their instructions, and have had no issues with ownership. Is it perfect, heck no. Shame that a few folks have had issues and truthfully I am not surprised.
is yours on a 13-15 GS? Trying to see if people are still having issues with the controls with the split screen
Old 05-17-20, 09:51 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

His car is 2017. I don't think anyone has gotten this to work 100% on the 2013-2015 GS navigation.
The following users liked this post:
Measured (05-17-20)
Old 05-17-20, 10:13 AM
Far2Great
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

has anyone fixed this issue with the aux feedback i know the pop is normal but this is unbearable
Old 05-17-20, 10:16 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Far2Great
https://youtu.be/Dll4d3wNnhk

has anyone fixed this issue with the aux feedback i know the pop is normal but this is unbearable
Geez man, you should contact them I've never had aux feedback/static with my unit, so not sure what to do for that.
Old 05-17-20, 01:44 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Far2Great
https://youtu.be/Dll4d3wNnhk

You could try ferrite cores on the aux cable. I am wondering if a nearby cable is causing signal noise. Have you tried to move the cables around before putting it back with the same results? The cables they provide aren't shield.
Old 05-17-20, 07:51 PM
DuB
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

maybe try a ground loop isolator?
Old 05-17-20, 08:12 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DuB
maybe try a ground loop isolator?
the Kit I installed doesn’t use the physical aux port in the console. It taps the aux input on the back of the radio via a plug.
Old 05-18-20, 01:45 AM
Far2Great
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
the Kit I installed doesn’t use the physical aux port in the console. It taps the aux input on the back of the radio via a plug.
mine does too

Quick Reply: Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319