GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-20, 07:45 AM
mhampton
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got one of these for my 2015 LS460, which has a 12-inch split-screen and joystick (the kind where carplay only shows on the left side of the screen, and AUX shows on the right).

Bottom line: Unfortunately, the joystick is very clunky, and the setup instructions are abysmal.

Here are some observations:

* The instruction pamphlet says 2013-2015 with joystick should have DIP switches 2,3,4,5 on, but then says 12" screen should have 2,3,5 on. I have a '15, and while it does have a 12-inch screen, it's a split screen, with only 7-inches usable for carplay. So which is it?
* The install pamphlet didn't have any instructions for the "loop" connectors on the wiring harness, so I left them as-is. Unfortunately I didn't see the loop connector photos here on this board until after reassembling my dash. Now I may have to take my dash apart a second time to check those loop connectors.
* The joystick (when it works at all) attempts to controls carplay and the right-side of the 12-inch screen at the same time, which makes the unit nearly unusable. If this can't be fixed, I'm sending it back.
* My firmware seems to be newer than some of the firmware images posted here. I sent Carlinkit a message asking of there's a newer firmware available, but they don't seem to understand the question. They really need to hire an English speaker, or stop selling it here.
* The default sound settings needed adjustment. With Apple music at normal volume, Google navigation was too loud. The Carlinkit settings do have a volume adjustment (Volume #2) which adjusts volume for things like nav. I lowered that to "10" and now the nav doesn't yell at me wen music is at normal volume.
* Like others have noted, the Carlinkit unit must come with unshielded cables, because it picks up a slight signal from the ignition (I think it's the ignition, because it seems to change pitch when the engine is revved). Has anyone come up with a fix for this?
* To my ears, music and nav sound quality is inferior to native Lexus bluetooth. I adjusted the carplay equalizer, and it's better now, but still not quite as clear as native Lexus bluetooth.
* After starting my car, my phone connects to carplay, but music does not resume without manual intervention. If the joystick weren't so clunky, this would not be bad, but the joystick is almost unusable. See photos to see what this looks like on a split screen.
* With native Lexus bluetooth, I get music/podcast on the right screen, and nav on the left screen. That setup is unfortunately not possible with carplay. It has to try to display both in the left carplay window, so the right screen is pretty useless.

The following users liked this post:
nightleaf (10-15-20)
Old 07-13-20, 08:02 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by mhampton
I got one of these for my 2015 LS460, which has a 12-inch split-screen and joystick (the kind where carplay only shows on the left side of the screen, and AUX shows on the right).

Bottom line: Unfortunately, the joystick is very clunky, and the setup instructions are abysmal.

Here are some observations:

* The instruction pamphlet says 2013-2015 with joystick should have DIP switches 2,3,4,5 on, but then says 12" screen should have 2,3,5 on. I have a '15, and while it does have a 12-inch screen, it's a split screen, with only 7-inches usable for carplay. So which is it?
* The install pamphlet didn't have any instructions for the "loop" connectors on the wiring harness, so I left them as-is. Unfortunately I didn't see the loop connector photos here on this board until after reassembling my dash. Now I may have to take my dash apart a second time to check those loop connectors.
* The joystick (when it works at all) attempts to controls carplay and the right-side of the 12-inch screen at the same time, which makes the unit nearly unusable. If this can't be fixed, I'm sending it back.
* My firmware seems to be newer than some of the firmware images posted here. I sent Carlinkit a message asking of there's a newer firmware available, but they don't seem to understand the question. They really need to hire an English speaker, or stop selling it here.
* The default sound settings needed adjustment. With Apple music at normal volume, Google navigation was too loud. The Carlinkit settings do have a volume adjustment (Volume #2) which adjusts volume for things like nav. I lowered that to "10" and now the nav doesn't yell at me wen music is at normal volume.
* Like others have noted, the Carlinkit unit must come with unshielded cables, because it picks up a slight signal from the ignition (I think it's the ignition, because it seems to change pitch when the engine is revved). Has anyone come up with a fix for this?
* To my ears, music and nav sound quality is inferior to native Lexus bluetooth. I adjusted the carplay equalizer, and it's better now, but still not quite as clear as native Lexus bluetooth.
* After starting my car, my phone connects to carplay, but music does not resume without manual intervention. If the joystick weren't so clunky, this would not be bad, but the joystick is almost unusable. See photos to see what this looks like on a split screen.
* With native Lexus bluetooth, I get music/podcast on the right screen, and nav on the left screen. That setup is unfortunately not possible with carplay. It has to try to display both in the left carplay window, so the right screen is pretty useless.

Wow you actually got it working on a split screen. I tried everything and could not get it to work when I had 2015 GS split screen head unit. With my 2016 GS full screen head unit I have it working perfectly and with firmware update from months ago it drastically improved the joystock navigation. Left/right is the only way to navigate through the menus. Probably they need more adjustments in firmware for this to work with the split screen as intended.

Also my Iphone XS would not always connect automatically to the car, but no issues with the 11 Pro, I guess what phone you use for carplay makes a difference too. I think this had to do with he phone trying to connect to the car for airplay and carplay at the same time with my XS or something bluetooth related.
Old 07-13-20, 11:32 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

I'm never buying anything from oversea vendor somehow the package I sent to Carlinkit got rerouted back to me. It cost me $60 ship it now I can't even return.
Old 07-13-20, 11:40 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dojoman
I'm never buying anything from oversea vendor somehow the package I sent to Carlinkit got rerouted back to me. It cost me $60 ship it now I can't even return.
open paypal case or file chargeback with your credit card. if you bought on amazon or ebay you have buyer protection. The first time I bought it I opened a ebay case, seller didn't provide return label and ebay just gave me a full refund without having to return it.

Last edited by peasodos; 07-13-20 at 11:43 AM.
MX73 (07-17-20)
Old 07-13-20, 12:00 PM
mhampton
Driver School Candidate

I'd say it "sorta" works. But the joystick attempts to control both sides of the split screen at the same time, which is really clunky, and in my view unacceptable.

Here's a 20-second video demonstrating:

Hopefully Carlinkit or someone can provide some guidance on how to fix this.

Last edited by mhampton; 07-13-20 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-13-20, 12:23 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

I'd say it "sorta" works. But the joystick attempts to control both sides of the split screen at the same time, which is really clunky, and in my view unacceptable.

Youtube Video - Carlinkit on 2015 LS460

Yup this is the known problem with Carlinkit and split screen, I had the same problem when I had my 2015 split screen GS head unit. Carlinkit it only works on the full screen GS/LS head units.
Old 07-13-20, 12:31 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by peasodos
open paypal case or file chargeback with your credit card. if you bought on amazon or ebay you have buyer protection. The first time I bought it I opened a ebay case, seller didn't provide return label and ebay just gave me a full refund without having to return it.
Unfortunately I bought from Aliexpress directly can't get free return label. I did open dispute with Aliexpress what a nightmare with buying stuff from China.
DavidL (07-08-21)
Old 07-13-20, 12:34 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Youtube Video - Carlinkit on 2015 LS460

I had the same issue on my 2014 IS350, but my screen doesn't have split screen but it's still controlling Lexus menu in the background, completely unusable. I don't think there's a fix, Carlinkit said they had a workaround cable they sent it to me it still didn't work just a lot of BS from them preventing us from returning. Scumbacks!!
Old 07-13-20, 01:36 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

This was one of the reasons Grom appealed to me. Yes, higher price, but a US presence. Very good support and responsiveness.
Old 07-15-20, 10:54 PM
RMuniz
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Onsit
Could you try running Android Auto in developer mode? Seems crankshaft users had similar issues with getting AA to scale to 1080/720 https://github.com/opencardev/cranks...developer-mode and switching to developer mode seemed to correct it. Once setup, you may be able to switch resolution that is being reported by AA.

You could always get a dedicated iPhone with a damage screen, and just keep it as a pass through device for the carlink. Given that your android phone can just act as a wifi hotspot for the iPhone. I had fantastic luck with companies like Joying that made dedicated android headunits - i'm sure the carlink developers will come around to firmware updates to address the scaling issue. Unless it's an upstream Android Auto issue, but having a hard time finding any github complaints about nonstandard resolutions causing issues.
Originally Posted by peasodos
I have developer mode enabled and have changed that option, still have the same issue. The issuie is in the carlinkit side.
I just saw this post and you are right, getting AA widescreen support is actually a very simple edit to an xml file that is currently set to display at 480p instead of 720p and a couple of screen density edits. A brilliant guy on a BMW forum was able to modify the firmware file to resolve the issue. We tried to get Carlinkit to make the changes but they basically said pound sand.
Old 07-25-20, 08:56 AM
mhampton
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately I bought from Aliexpress directly can't get free return label. I did open dispute with Aliexpress what a nightmare with buying stuff from China.
Yeah, after playing 20 questions Carlinkit support and never getting an answer, I finally opened a "dispute" on Aliexpress to return it, and won. My Carlinkit unit is headed back to China. Put it in the mail this morning. Had to complete a customs form. I checked the "return" checkbox, so hopefully it won't get rejected.

For anyone thinking about buying something on Aliexpress: USPS charged $70 to send this little 10x10x3 1 kg box to China. That's the minimum cost if you want a tracking number, and you'll need to provide a tracking number to Aliexpress. It could take weeks to get there, and I won't get the refund until the seller confirms receipt.

I learned my lesson. I'll never buy anything on Aliexpress again!
Old 07-25-20, 09:34 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Yeah, after playing 20 questions Carlinkit support and never getting an answer, I finally opened a "dispute" on Aliexpress to return it, and won. My Carlinkit unit is headed back to China. Put it in the mail this morning. Had to complete a customs form. I checked the "return" checkbox, so hopefully it won't get rejected.

For anyone thinking about buying something on Aliexpress: USPS charged $70 to send this little 10x10x3 1 kg box to China. That's the minimum cost if you want a tracking number, and you'll need to provide a tracking number to Aliexpress. It could take weeks to get there, and I won't get the refund until the seller confirms receipt.

I learned my lesson. I'll never buy anything on Aliexpress again!
I didn’t win dispute with Aliexpress and my second attempt to return wasn’t successful either. My box came back from Post office again. What did you write down the content description? Custom sometimes open the box too.
Old 07-25-20, 10:52 AM
mhampton
Driver School Candidate

I didn’t win dispute with Aliexpress and my second attempt to return wasn’t successful either. My box came back from Post office again. What did you write down the content description? Custom sometimes open the box too.
I'm not sure if it made a difference, but I provided Aliexpress with a pretty thorough video of what was wrong:

I tried three different dip-switch settings with two different harness configurations. Six tests total. Nothing worked. The Carlinkit people would send one question every day, and I answered every day. After a while it felt like they were trying to run out the clock, since there's a rather short window in which to submit a dispute via Aliexpress.

For the customs description I entered "Carplay for Lexus". After reading about your experience, I figure my chances of actually receiving a refund are pretty low, but we'll see in a few weeks.

I knew buying from ALiexpress was a risk, but I took it anyway. So now (like the first time I burned my hand on a hot stove) I know.

Old 08-06-20, 08:52 AM
aj2pointo
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I just installed a touchscreen android head unit into my GS and I'm using a wireless dongle version of Carlinkit to get Apple CarPlay. I figure since the dongle and the box referred to in this thread are made by the same company they should be pretty similar. Has anyone had the problem where music/Spotify/ works just fine, but Siri replies and navigation directions don't play over the speaker?
Old 08-17-20, 04:05 PM
dgpiii
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, so I can't really tell, and this thread has become a very long string going in lots of directions, so I am asking this for clarification.

Is the Carlinkit the right choice for a 2017 GS F Sport if I am an iPhone user with a current model iPhone? Is this a good stable product that will only enhcnace the GS infotainment experience?

And if so does anyone know of a recommended installer near Los Angeles?

Or should I continue to wait until the tech gets more refined?

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319