GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-20, 02:20 PM
kcahmadi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Update to the latest firmware. Someone else had that issue and that's what fixed it. I have an older model carlinkit and firmware update fixed the joystick.
what’s the latest firmware? I have Installed MCU 20.11.4
SW 9.2.10

Old 12-13-20, 05:19 AM
Voronmetro
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can anyone post the latest carlinkit updates?
Old 12-13-20, 05:26 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Can anyone shared which bluetooth and wireless network you are connected to when you are connected to Wireless Carplay? Wired CarPlay works for me but not wireless. I updated to 9.2.9.yl.l and 20.11.4.14 but that didn't help.
Old 12-13-20, 05:41 PM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Can anyone shared which bluetooth and wireless network you are connected to when you are connected to Wireless Carplay? Wired CarPlay works for me but not wireless. I updated to 9.2.9.yl.l and 20.11.4.14 but that didn't help.
For wireless carplay, wifi is disabled and my bluetooth connects to whatever the module names itself at the setup..'autokit_D12' something like that
Old 12-13-20, 11:23 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by byungkuk
For wireless carplay, wifi is disabled and my bluetooth connects to whatever the module names itself at the setup..'autokit_D12' something like that
Thanks, I figured it out. You can setup wireless carplay devices in the Wireless Dev menu.

You connected to "AutoKit_5400" via Bluetooth. It uses this to set up a Wi-Fi connection to your car via "AutoKit_54e9".

Your phone won't show that it is connected to a Wi-Fi network from inside the Wi-Fi settings, but from the settings menu you will see that it is connected to "AutoKit_54e9".
Old 12-14-20, 01:21 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Thanks, I figured it out. You can setup wireless carplay devices in the Wireless Dev menu.

You connected to "AutoKit_5400" via Bluetooth. It uses this to set up a Wi-Fi connection to your car via "AutoKit_54e9".

Your phone won't show that it is connected to a Wi-Fi network from inside the Wi-Fi settings, but from the settings menu you will see that it is connected to "AutoKit_54e9".
The name of it when it connects to your phone is randomly generated, but always starts with AutoKit.
The following users liked this post:
ericsan13 (12-15-20)
Old 12-15-20, 12:03 PM
ericsan13
Racer

CUST Version updated from 9.2.6.yl.l to 9.2.9.yl.l (from post #546)
MCU Version updated from 20.2.19.18 to 20.11.4.14 (from post #545)

Does anyone know which one of these firmwares control the joystick behavior, or in general, what are the purpose of these two? I did the updates above and the joystick is really buggy and unresponsive now. I'm thinking about rolling back.

Last edited by ericsan13; 12-15-20 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-17-20, 02:10 AM
mcalr3
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like most of you guys here are using Carplay.
​​​​​​Is anyone actually using android auto as a daily driver?

I don't know if I could live with the tradeoff of the stretched screen image.
Using an old/broken iPhone as a slave carplay device seems like an OK idea but that won't allow me to read/reply to WhatsApp on the go.

I just messaged the seller on Aliexpress and they said that the update for android auto full screen scaling will be "in a future update". Whatever that means. Google have allowed it in their API for years now.
Old 12-17-20, 02:23 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mcalr3

Using an old/broken iPhone as a slave carplay device seems like an OK idea but that won't allow me to read/reply to WhatsApp on the go.

I just messaged the seller on Aliexpress and they said that the update for android auto full screen scaling will be "in a future update". Whatever that means. Google have allowed it in their API for years now.
They have been giving excuses about improving Carlinkit for android auto for a year, basically total BS. The system was designed for Carplay and Android auto was an afterthought. Yeah the old broken iPhone idea won't work so great. the system works best on the newer iphones, plus you need data for it to be useful, not really worth paying a monthly price for a separate mobile hotspot. There are other systems better suited for android auto, like Beatsonic, Grom, or Lsailt.
mcalr3 (12-17-20)
Old 12-17-20, 02:37 AM
mcalr3
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They have been giving excuses about improving Carlinkit for android auto for a year, basically total BS. The system was designed for Carplay and Android auto was an afterthought. Yeah the old broken iPhone idea won't work so great. the system works best on the newer iphones, plus you need data for it to be useful, not really worth paying a monthly price for a separate mobile hotspot. There are other systems better suited for android auto, like Beatsonic, Grom, or Lsailt.
Yeah, I thought as much. Quite frustrating as those units are a fair bit more expensive.

Quite interesting thread over here regarding these boxes for BMW: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929
The OP of that thread has actually found a way to edit the firmware for carlinkit (and other boxes which are pretty much identical) to allow widescreen android auto (with split screen like 2020 lexus android auto) and change the DPI to make it more readable.
He's uploaded the custom firmware but it won't be compatible with lexus units, but it would be interesting to try and get this to work with our units.
​​​
Old 12-17-20, 02:44 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I thought as much. Quite frustrating as those units are a fair bit more expensive.

Quite interesting thread over here regarding these boxes for BMW: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929
The OP of that thread has actually found a way to edit the firmware for carlinkit (and other boxes which are pretty much identical) to allow widescreen android auto (with split screen like 2020 lexus android auto) and change the DPI to make it more readable.
He's uploaded the custom firmware but it won't be compatible with lexus units, but it would be interesting to try and get this to work with our units.
​​​
I have full screen on my 2013 GS, only because I retrofitted 2016 head unit and 12.3" display.
Old 12-29-20, 10:18 PM
RMuniz
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't own a lexus, I have a Carlinkit for my BMW, but I modified the Lexus 9.2.9 firmware to show AA in 720p and in the split-screen (https://pressfrom.info/ca/autos/news...-lexus-rx.html) format used for widescreens. PM me if anyone is interested in testing it.

Also, the firmware shows the viewable screen dimensions as 232mm x 87mm. Can someone confirm if these dimensions are accurate? I suspect that they are not since AA currently appears stretched based on posts.

Last edited by RMuniz; 12-29-20 at 10:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RMuniz:
byungkuk (12-30-20), Im2bz2p345 (12-31-20)
Old 12-30-20, 06:36 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by RMuniz
I don't own a lexus, I have a Carlinkit for my BMW, but I modified the Lexus 9.2.9 firmware to show AA in 720p and in the split-screen (https://pressfrom.info/ca/autos/news...-lexus-rx.html) format used for widescreens. PM me if anyone is interested in testing it.

Also, the firmware shows the viewable screen dimensions as 232mm x 87mm. Can someone confirm if these dimensions are accurate? I suspect that they are not since AA currently appears stretched based on posts.

I don't use Android but thank you for contributing! I'm sure this is will help a lot of members! Since you seem a bit more technically inclined with Carlinkit... Do you know why the unit disconnects sometimes from the phone? (iPhone for me). As you can see above a lot of users have been dealing with random disconnects. I don't know if it's the kit or the phone...

Thanks!
Old 12-30-20, 09:26 AM
RMuniz
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by byungkuk
I don't use Android but thank you for contributing! I'm sure this is will help a lot of members! Since you seem a bit more technically inclined with Carlinkit... Do you know why the unit disconnects sometimes from the phone? (iPhone for me). As you can see above a lot of users have been dealing with random disconnects. I don't know if it's the kit or the phone...

Thanks!
I'm sorry, but I don't know. I have never used an iPhone, only Android.
Old 01-13-21, 05:25 AM
Marth06
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok so after reading the majority of the thread, to summarise the Carlinkit for GS models using apple CarPlay

1) 2013-15 GS 12.3 inch split screen - has issues with the mouse pointer on the split screen. Also mouse pointer movement is jerky.
2) 2016+ 12.3 inch split screen - generally works well. Mouse pointer generally works well with latest firmware update.

Would that generally sum it up for apple CarPlay on GS models?

I have 2013 GS F sport but with 8 inch screen and premium sound. Do you think I will have any issues seeing as I don’t have split screen??
Measured (01-23-21)

Quick Reply: Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319