GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-21, 09:23 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by denary
that's not the same part that peasodos linked in his original post.
The link he posted no longer works. I think it might have been this one, but the question remains the same. Since there are no common audio plugs going from carlinkit into the head unit, how would this work? Thanks
Amazon Amazon
Old 02-11-21, 09:41 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Carlinkit like beatsonic taps audio from the back of the radio/head unit. You would have to splice the ground loop isolater inline with the audio output from the radio and the carlinkit audio input.
Beatsonic use to recommend it for their kits.

My carlinkit kit I had to rewire the audio harness because Carlinkit had it wrong, but I haven't had any audio issues at all.
Old 02-11-21, 11:34 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Carlinkit like beatsonic taps audio from the back of the radio/head unit. You would have to splice the ground loop isolater inline with the audio output from the radio and the carlinkit audio input.
Beatsonic use to recommend it for their kits.

My carlinkit kit I had to rewire the audio harness because Carlinkit had it wrong, but I haven't had any audio issues at all.
How were you able to tell which cable or cables were the audio cables? My carlinkit has a CAN cable running to the radio unit. I wish it were as simple as intercepting a miniplug or RCA plugs.
Old 02-11-21, 11:56 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ericsan13
How were you able to tell which cable or cables were the audio cables? My carlinkit has a CAN cable running to the radio unit. I wish it were as simple as intercepting a miniplug or RCA plugs.
I wired it the same as my rca beatsonic adapter. I sold that a while ago, so not sure the correct way to rewire it.
https://www.beatsonicusa.com/avc38.html.
The following users liked this post:
ericsan13 (02-14-21)
Old 02-12-21, 03:22 PM
AlphaPapa
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Up to date thoughts?

Hi all, does anyone have any up to date thoughts on the kit, specifically with Android Auto and latest firmwares etc? Thanks
Old 02-15-21, 12:45 PM
washinpowd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RMuniz
I don't own a lexus, I have a Carlinkit for my BMW, but I modified the Lexus 9.2.9 firmware to show AA in 720p and in the split-screen (https://pressfrom.info/ca/autos/news...-lexus-rx.html) format used for widescreens. PM me if anyone is interested in testing it.

Also, the firmware shows the viewable screen dimensions as 232mm x 87mm. Can someone confirm if these dimensions are accurate? I suspect that they are not since AA currently appears stretched based on posts.
​​​​​​​Is it just a resolution tweak you have made? Has no one else tested it at all yet?
Old 02-15-21, 12:47 PM
washinpowd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Thanks, I figured it out. You can setup wireless carplay devices in the Wireless Dev menu.

You connected to "AutoKit_5400" via Bluetooth. It uses this to set up a Wi-Fi connection to your car via "AutoKit_54e9".

Your phone won't show that it is connected to a Wi-Fi network from inside the Wi-Fi settings, but from the settings menu you will see that it is connected to "AutoKit_54e9".
What version did you have before as everything I have used so far is fairly buggy with the joystick control but have got used to it
Old 02-15-21, 03:28 PM
AlphaPapa
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NickMayer
Carlinkit is down to $272 on Ali right now... Finally time to pull the trigger I think. Would love some AA action, especially if its wireless.
Did you ever try it?
Old 02-17-21, 10:08 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by AlphaPapa
Did you ever try it?
Not yet, I am going to upgrade to the 16+ screen for all those updates and plan on doing both at same time. Once I secure the parts, def pulling the trigger on a unit to get me Android Auto.

Last edited by NickMayer; 02-18-21 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-18-21, 06:42 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

One thing I noted when it bugs out is to go to the wireless settings and disconnect/then reconnect the phone - stay more stable after that. Before I used to disconnect/reconnect the bluetooth/wifi from my phone but that didn't really do anything
Old 02-25-21, 01:01 PM
KennyZ
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Everything works on my 13 GS except the joycon. It's now a headache to me. I tried the latest firmware but it's still hard to control. The wireless CarPlay is seamless and audio/microphone all works perfectly. It's just a pain in the *** because it's so hard to use the joycon.
I'm gonna let it go for 220+shipping. If you believe it works on your model and you know how to deal with harness/softwares etc, you can PM me. Just keep in mind that their customer service really really really sucks. This thread is your best friend.
Old 02-25-21, 01:59 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KennyZ
Everything works on my 13 GS except the joycon. It's now a headache to me. I tried the latest firmware but it's still hard to control. The wireless CarPlay is seamless and audio/microphone all works perfectly. It's just a pain in the *** because it's so hard to use the joycon.
I'm gonna let it go for 220+shipping. If you believe it works on your model and you know how to deal with harness/softwares etc, you can PM me. Just keep in mind that their customer service really really really sucks. This thread is your best friend.
As far as I know joystick controls never worked correctly on 2013-2015 GS, they were suppose to fix this with firmware. Only way I got it working it when I upgraded my screen and head unit to 2016.
The following users liked this post:
NickMayer (02-25-21)
Old 02-25-21, 02:14 PM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Joystick controls?
Old 02-25-21, 05:55 PM
KennyZ
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
As far as I know joystick controls never worked correctly on 2013-2015 GS, they were suppose to fix this with firmware. Only way I got it working it when I upgraded my screen and head unit to 2016.
Yeah that's why I want to sell mine. I give up lolll

Old 02-27-21, 05:05 PM
dgpiii
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default CarlinKit, is it worth the ROI?

OK, so KennyZ and I have been chatting through text about me buying his unit. I have a 2017 GS 350. If his system is up to date firmware et all, is this going to be a basic plug and play situation? As I have reread this thread I don't think I can find anyone who has not had to monkey with they system over and over. I am a sort of set it and forget it kind of consumer. That is why I have been an Apple dude for so long. And why I bought Lexus. As Jobs used to say "it just works". This CarlinKit seems to not be that at all.

Should I pass since I am not interested in messing up my system since it works pretty well as it is?

Any of the folks car to offer an opinion.

David

Quick Reply: Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319