GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-21, 10:05 AM
00goobs
Intermediate

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Its a hit or miss some don’t mind the quirks but it’s not acceptable for me. If you buy one from eBay at least you can get money back easily don’t get from Aliexpress. If you only want screen mirroring get something from Beatsonic their support is fantastic and they’re in California.
Thank you! That may be my next big purchase as I solely use my phone for entertainment.....
Old 06-01-21, 12:29 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,114 Posts

I am considering which of these kits to get. Been reading as much as I can from the beginning as its very long and very good, informational wise. I have a iPhone XR, and its seems like that Model possibly has some bugs in linking up wireless BT and staying linked BT consistently? I am correct about this? I would just get a newer iPhone to resolve it.

What I did not see and was wondering was can it link ok through USB Not BT, that it can stay charged also. I like the cord link better personally. Would usb to phone link have any issues or limitations?

Also I am in the process with the 16 ML Head unit and 16 Screen of swapping out my 13 Split screen to 16 Full screen. From what I can tell from some, when you do the 13 to 16 ML head and screen you lose the Sport Shift Display and Backup camera. I don't care about the Sport shift because it will still show on the instrument cluster, but I do not want to lose the backup camera! So I see someone put a Alpine backup camera in that worked off of the Reverse backup tail lights. How would this work from this unit? I guess I'm asking if someone else drove my car and their phone was not connected would the Carlink kit still activate the Backup camera? Or am I missing something here that I am kinda Dumb about.

Shout out to peasados and others who have stuck with this and provided so much info!!!! Seems to me this is the best option over Beatsonic and the others. THANKS!!!!!
Old 06-02-21, 10:30 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Measured
This is what I ended up with resulting in little to no echo. It isn't perfect, but I've rarely come across car phone quality to be 100% great.
I have a problem where the person on the other line hears an echo of what they say. Did these settings fix that?
Old 06-02-21, 10:33 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
I have a problem where the person on the other line hears an echo of what they say. Did these settings fix that?

Each unit seems to be unique to this echo problem. The only way I found it to minimize this horrible echo. Is to have someone on the other line give you real time feedback as you make adjustments.

One odd thing I found out is that you will have it work perfectly fine and then not another. Rebooting the setup would help, but it is sooo intermittent that it is hard to troubleshoot. I have it set to an acceptable level now with now one commenting on it.
Old 06-06-21, 02:56 PM
butler620
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having a nightmare!

I’ve installed the carlinkit in my 2018 RX this morning. The joystick was unusable, it was very hard to navigate (I couldn’t live with it like that). I took the update somebody posted here in the google drive, I updated it, but in system settings 🥴. Now this is the screen I see, it seems completely broken. Just a blurry Lexus logo is all I see now when I enter the unit by holding menu. Does anybody know how to revert the update? Or reset the box back to the previous firmware? Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 06-08-21, 10:01 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jgscott
I am considering which of these kits to get. Been reading as much as I can from the beginning as its very long and very good, informational wise. I have a iPhone XR, and its seems like that Model possibly has some bugs in linking up wireless BT and staying linked BT consistently? I am correct about this? I would just get a newer iPhone to resolve it.

What I did not see and was wondering was can it link ok through USB Not BT, that it can stay charged also. I like the cord link better personally. Would usb to phone link have any issues or limitations?

Also I am in the process with the 16 ML Head unit and 16 Screen of swapping out my 13 Split screen to 16 Full screen. From what I can tell from some, when you do the 13 to 16 ML head and screen you lose the Sport Shift Display and Backup camera. I don't care about the Sport shift because it will still show on the instrument cluster, but I do not want to lose the backup camera! So I see someone put a Alpine backup camera in that worked off of the Reverse backup tail lights. How would this work from this unit? I guess I'm asking if someone else drove my car and their phone was not connected would the Carlink kit still activate the Backup camera? Or am I missing something here that I am kinda Dumb about.

Shout out to peasados and others who have stuck with this and provided so much info!!!! Seems to me this is the best option over Beatsonic and the others. THANKS!!!!!
Can not someone answer these questions for me please? Help!
Old 06-08-21, 10:42 AM
denary
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the iPhone XR and have occasional issues with Carlinkit when using wireless. I have zero issues when using USB and it does also charge phone at the same time.
Old 06-08-21, 10:57 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by denary
I have the iPhone XR and have occasional issues with Carlinkit when using wireless. I have zero issues when using USB and it does also charge phone at the same time.
Thanks. That answers that. Exactly what I needed to know, and can help any others who were wondering the same.

Now my only other question is, if someone would be so kind is: On the early model full screen Mod swap the Back up camera does not work. So if I run a sperate Camera to the reverse light like has been said can be done here. Will it always work? Lets say someone else is driving my car and does Not connect their phone to the Carlink? Thanks.
Old 06-09-21, 04:14 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Thanks. That answers that. Exactly what I needed to know, and can help any others who were wondering the same.

Now my only other question is, if someone would be so kind is: On the early model full screen Mod swap the Back up camera does not work. So if I run a sperate Camera to the reverse light like has been said can be done here. Will it always work? Lets say someone else is driving my car and does Not connect their phone to the Carlink? Thanks.
Sorry to bump and ask again but, I am about to decide among the different kits and think I have landed on wanting this one and getting ready to order it. Can someone please answer this one last question for me that I know everything I will need to get my 2013 to 2016 Full screen upgrade working correctly and have all the parts I need that the Backup Camera is still be working with this Carlink installed in. I know quite a few I read here, did the Full screen upgrade and Carlink add with a separate Camera installed.

To simplify again..... if I add a Separate backup Camera because the Factory set up one wont work on the Conversion of split to full screen. Will the separate Backup camera I add, still work if one does not B/T or USB connect to Carlink when I put the car in Reverse signaling via backup lights? Or does the Lexus Infotainment have to be chosen set on Carlink for it to work with Backup camera each time? Hopefully I asked this understandable? Thanks.
Old 06-09-21, 07:31 PM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

Sorry to bump and ask again but, I am about to decide among the different kits and think I have landed on wanting this one and getting ready to order it. Can someone please answer this one last question for me that I know everything I will need to get my 2013 to 2016 Full screen upgrade working correctly and have all the parts I need that the Backup Camera is still be working with this Carlink installed in. I know quite a few I read here, did the Full screen upgrade and Carlink add with a separate Camera installed.

To simplify again..... if I add a Separate backup Camera because the Factory set up one wont work on the Conversion of split to full screen. Will the separate Backup camera I add, still work if one does not B/T or USB connect to Carlink when I put the car in Reverse signaling via backup lights? Or does the Lexus Infotainment have to be chosen set on Carlink for it to work with Backup camera each time? Hopefully I asked this understandable? Thanks.
I think the backup camera (lexus one) always shows up B/T or USB cord (make sure to switch the option on so it goes back to the carlinkit, if not it will stay in OEM). As far as using a custom backup camera... are you sure that's correct? I think peasodos did the conversion and installed carlinkit and I don't think he mentioned adding a separate backup camera. I don't if anyone did - some have added in a custom front camera which worked as well.
Old 06-09-21, 07:31 PM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

To report - since i've switched to wifi channel 6 - i've had no random disconnects (maybe once because the phone got too hot using the wireless charger).
Sometimes the music will get choppy but then go back to being strong (iPhone XR)
Old 06-10-21, 07:17 PM
GoPDemon
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

I finally got the touch pad in my NX to work but I can't get it to boot into carplay. I went to Aux and held menu for 4-5 seconds and nothing,
Old 06-10-21, 08:31 PM
GoPDemon
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by itsraysgs
I also have 2,3,5 on as I found the one for 12.3 is flickering.

I spoke to Carlinkit and I have an extra harness that goes into the joystick. Apparently, it’s an updated version/design. I will do those connections and post back.

it’s the harness on the bottom left that daisy chains with OEM joystick harness/joystick.

https://imgur.com/gallery/TzIqrmH
where does this extra wire go? It also goes into the back of the radio?
Old 06-11-21, 09:39 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by byungkuk
To report - since i've switched to wifi channel 6 - i've had no random disconnects (maybe once because the phone got too hot using the wireless charger).
Sometimes the music will get choppy but then go back to being strong (iPhone XR)
I have noticed that my phone doesn't heat up after having switched from Qi to MagSafe.
Old 06-11-21, 01:06 PM
butler620
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airplay

Has anybody managed to get AirPlay to work on the carlinkit unit? Can’t seem to get mine to work. It connects to it, all I can hear is sound but no video beams to the screen at all.

Quick Reply: Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319