GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-21, 03:06 PM
butler620
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nightleaf
I was able to obtain 9.2.9 from carlinkit.. I am going to test it out in my RX tomorrow and will share if it works out...

hi, I have a 2018 model, did this resolve the issue for you?
Old 06-15-21, 04:15 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by butler620
Has anybody managed to get AirPlay to work on the carlinkit unit? Can’t seem to get mine to work. It connects to it, all I can hear is sound but no video beams to the screen at all.
I used it before - i think it prevents you from playing DMCA tagged videos.. like Netflix, Prime Video etc.
Old 06-15-21, 07:43 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 109 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by butler620
Has anybody managed to get AirPlay to work on the carlinkit unit? Can’t seem to get mine to work. It connects to it, all I can hear is sound but no video beams to the screen at all.
I've used it before as well. Doesn't really serve a purpose whilst I am driving
Old 06-15-21, 08:29 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Measured
I've used it before as well. Doesn't really serve a purpose whilst I am driving
I agree you really should not be playing a movie/show on the 12.3" display while driving. Not sure of the point of watching a movie/show while in park unless your homeless.
Old 06-19-21, 01:52 PM
gnuels
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bumping an old thread... I have a 2019 UX250h, and want to add Android Auto to my car. Does anyone have a recent experience w/ this interface? Have they added proper wide screen support?
Old 06-21-21, 05:42 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

I've been having this issue where someone calls me and I can't pick up the call using the either two buttons next to the palmrest - i end up getting my phone out to pick it up...

pushing the answer call button on my wheel does nothing either...anyone?
Old 06-23-21, 09:52 PM
Xidding
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread has been very helpful and I'm going to contribute a data point.

I have a 2016 GS 350 with Nav. So it has wide screen and joystick control. Bought a unit from AliExpress. The brand is not Carlinkit but RoadTop, but I believe all these units are the same. They probably come from the a single maker and different companies just do some mods (or nothing) on the firmware. The firmware is as follows:
SDK: 25.0.0.7.0.0.2.0
CUST: LR151
MCU: 21.5.11.14
HW: Lexus_1

I only have an Android phone so only tested Android Auto. I'm 60% satisfied with the unit. Here are some issues I have:
1. Joystick control only works with left/right movement. Up/down doesn't really work.
2. In Android Auto, I'm stuck in GoogleMap. The cursor can only move within the map but not going to the side bars where you can select other apps or control the music.

3. In Android Auto, I cannot pan the map. Zooming kind of works.
4. I can switch to factory system by long pressing the Menu button. But when I try to go back to Android Auto by long pressing the Menu Button again, I always jump to the main menu. It pauses the music (which really annoys me). I have to click Android Auto again.
5. Music quality sucks. I understand Bluetooth is not the best for high quality music, but this sound quality is MUCH WORSE compared to the original car bluetooth.
6. Not sure if it's the unit or Android Auto, but I don't see the icon for phone calls, message, and other stuff. Only icon I saw was the music player (and I cannot click on it due to issue 2).

Just curious if these are common issues or does anyone have different experience with it.

=========================UPDATE==============================
After talking to customer service, issue 2 is solved. You have to long press the up/down button next to the Menu button on the joystick. Then the cursor will go to the side panel.
Issue 5 is also solved. There's a setting called "Loudness", which doesn't mean anything to me. It was set to <800+h> and the sound is strange. After changed it to <disable>, everything is fine. Sound quality is similar to other Bluetooth.
Issue 6 is solved since I can get into the side panel and click on the round button on the upper left corner, which brings you to a list of apps.

A new issue (7) I have is with Wireless Android Auto. It only connects the first time I start the car. If I turn off and on the Wifi on my phone while the car is running, it will connect to the WIFI but Wireless Android Auto won't connect
Now I'm 95% satisfied with the unit. Still talking to customer service and see if I can solve issue 3, 4 and 7.

Last edited by Xidding; 06-24-21 at 01:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gnuels (06-24-21)
Old 06-23-21, 09:58 PM
Xidding
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dojoman
Did you try swapping the black connectors as I showed here post #528?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post10913776
In my case it didn’t solve my issue I had same problem on my IS350. If not leave the way as is let the joystick control both systems, OEM stereo and CarPlay.

Instead you should install a track pad it works much better. Even if Lexus joystick works in CarPlay it’s pain to navigate with joystick it barely works. The reason I said to leave the way with joystick controlling both so that you can still use Lexus joystick to control oem system. After I swapped the black connectors on my harness I lost the ability to control oem system.

The track pad seems wonderful. How did you connect it to the system? Any link for purchase? Thanks!
Old 06-23-21, 11:04 PM
gnuels
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Xidding
This thread has been very helpful and I'm going to contribute a data point.

I have a 2016 GS 350 with Nav. So it has wide screen and joystick control. Bought a unit from AliExpress. The brand is not Carlinkit but RoadTop, but I believe all these units are the same. They probably come from the a single maker and different companies just do some mods (or nothing) on the firmware. The firmware is as follows:
SDK: 25.0.0.7.0.0.2.0
CUST: LR151
MCU: 21.5.11.14
HW: Lexus_1

I only have an Android phone so only tested Android Auto. I'm 60% satisfied with the unit. Here are some issues I have:
1. Joystick control only works with left/right movement. Up/down doesn't really work.
2. In Android Auto, I'm stuck in GoogleMap. The cursor can only move within the map but not going to the side bars where you can select other apps or control the music.

3. In Android Auto, I cannot pan the map. Zooming kind of works.
4. I can switch to factory system by long pressing the Menu button. But when I try to go back to Android Auto by long pressing the Menu Button again, I always jump to the main menu. It pauses the music (which really annoys me). I have to click Android Auto again.
5. Music quality sucks. I understand Bluetooth is not the best for high quality music, but this sound quality is MUCH WORSE compared to the original car bluetooth.
6. Not sure if it's the unit or Android Auto, but I don't see the icon for phone calls, message, and other stuff. Only icon I saw was the music player (and I cannot click on it due to issue 2).

Just curious if these are common issues or does anyone have different experience with it.
Thanks for sharing your data point. I wish I was able to read this before ordering the RoadTop unit just yesterday... If sound is much worse that's going to be a near deal breaker for me. That seems like a strange issue to be honest. Have you reached out to the merchant to see if they have any suggestions? I hope my experience with a touchpad is better than you're having with a joystick...
Old 06-24-21, 07:43 AM
Xidding
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gnuels
Thanks for sharing your data point. I wish I was able to read this before ordering the RoadTop unit just yesterday... If sound is much worse that's going to be a near deal breaker for me. That seems like a strange issue to be honest. Have you reached out to the merchant to see if they have any suggestions? I hope my experience with a touchpad is better than you're having with a joystick...
The sound issue is strange to me as well. I have aftermarket bluetooth on my other car and it works fine for me. So I'm probably not that sensitive to sound quality. On most songs I can tweak the EQ in the original car setting to make it sound better (basically I need to increase mid and decrease bass). But on some songs it's just audibly worse and nothing I can do in EQ to save it.
Old 06-24-21, 01:42 PM
Xidding
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gnuels
As an update, I fixed the sound issue. There's an audio setting called "Loudness", which doesn't mean anything to me. It was set to <800+h> and the sound is strange. After changed it to <disable>, everything is fine. Sound quality is similar to other Bluetooth.
gnuels (06-24-21)
Old 06-25-21, 02:44 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Xidding
The track pad seems wonderful. How did you connect it to the system? Any link for purchase? Thanks!
Agreed, slightly off topic but I use a high quality low profile bluetooth mouse (Logitech Pebble) for my screen mirroring setup. After a quick learning curve its super fast and better than the oem control and even a touchscreen in my opinion because you can sit back and relax while controlling. It matches the interior color perfectly, hides in the cupholder with the lid closed and works comfortably, perfectly precise and accurate on the center console armrest.

If available to do so on a Carplay/AA or Grom type device, I would highly recommend an external mouse for a better control experience.
Old 06-28-21, 09:47 AM
slvrcrz
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

hi guys based on your experiences if you have this unit would you go with groom vl2 or this ? im super torn and not sure which way to go.
Old 06-29-21, 11:25 PM
robertp
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am Interested, I have GS 350 2013

Also do you know why My Voice commands are missing, i can only do voice tag to Phone only.
jazzandvo (06-30-21)
Old 06-30-21, 03:19 PM
jazzandvo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have the firmware update rar? Thanks so much

Quick Reply: Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319