GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-21, 02:44 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,358 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Originally Posted by twylie
My Carlinkit unit arrived and I got around to installing it this morning. No real issues other than me hooking up the wrong cable that taps the AUX input. Took me a bit to realize what I'd screwed up. Seems to be working well. I'm going to do some more testing before I button everything back up and find a place to store the main unit and extra wires.

I do seem to have a later firmware on mine.

Do you have the ML system? How is the music sound quality? How is the phone call quality?
Old 08-29-21, 05:55 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Do you have the ML system? How is the music sound quality? How is the phone call quality?
Yes, I have ML sound. Music sounds every bit as good as bluetooth. No distortion or buzzing. Haven't tried out calls much yet. Will report back once I've done more testing and tweaked the settings.
Old 08-29-21, 06:33 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twylie
Yes, I have ML sound. Music sounds every bit as good as bluetooth. No distortion or buzzing. Haven't tried out calls much yet. Will report back once I've done more testing and tweaked the settings.
Hey thanks. Did you order the Carlinkit directly from their Carlink Website?

Here?
https://www.carlinkit.store/products...gs-ls-lx-lc-rc
Old 08-30-21, 02:09 AM
JustinWang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Plastic Screw Won’t Come Out

Hello: I have a ‘16 GS350 with the Type B 12 inch Nav. I’m trying to remove the plastic trim that holds the Nav screen in place to install my carlinkit. That plastic trim is held in place by three plastic screws. Two of the screw came out without issue but one screw — the middle one — won’t come out no matter how hard so try. I’m at my wits end. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-30-21, 04:27 AM
twylie
Advanced

Hey thanks. Did you order the Carlinkit directly from their Carlink Website?

Here?
https://www.carlinkit.store/products...gs-ls-lx-lc-rc
Yes. I purchased direct. I had to chat via WhatsApp as it initially wouldn't allow me to add to cart. I also wanted to verify with them my make/model/year in writing before ordering since it was coming from China. They. shipped DHL Express and it arrived to me in GA in 5 or 6 days after a slight hold somewhere after it cleared customs in the US.
Old 08-30-21, 04:30 AM
twylie
Advanced

Originally Posted by JustinWang
Hello: I have a ‘16 GS350 with the Type B 12 inch Nav. I’m trying to remove the plastic trim that holds the Nav screen in place to install my carlinkit. That plastic trim is held in place by three plastic screws. Two of the screw came out without issue but one screw — the middle one — won’t come out no matter how hard so try. I’m at my wits end. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
They are fine thread plastic screws. I was only able to "unscrew" one of mine and had to pry the others out. If you can get a panel tool behind the trim piece it's securing and apply some downward pressure while you are unscrewing it, it will help. Worst case, you can pry them out. I had to pry two of mine out and they don't look worse for wear and appear that they will go back into place no problem. Worst case, I'll order replacements. Good luck.
Old 08-31-21, 04:40 PM
madfatter
10th Gear

I found one of these kits cheap on eBay. Got it installed in my 17 gs f sport, cursor totally wonky but the updates got that squared away. Seems ok overall, but I have the dang buzzing. Have tried all kinds of ways to run the wires, no change. Seems like it will vary in severity after I mess with the harness where it connects to the radio part, ranging from distracting to awful. No bent pins, had a couple that looked like they were not pushed through as far into the connector. No change when seated. I think I'm just gonna return the turd, wasted so much time on this already. But this thread, so helpful along the way. I will update later with the settings I used to get it functioning. Thanks all!
Old 08-31-21, 08:17 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by madfatter
I found one of these kits cheap on eBay. Got it installed in my 17 gs f sport, cursor totally wonky but the updates got that squared away. Seems ok overall, but I have the dang buzzing. Have tried all kinds of ways to run the wires, no change. Seems like it will vary in severity after I mess with the harness where it connects to the radio part, ranging from distracting to awful. No bent pins, had a couple that looked like they were not pushed through as far into the connector. No change when seated. I think I'm just gonna return the turd, wasted so much time on this already. But this thread, so helpful along the way. I will update later with the settings I used to get it functioning. Thanks all!
Are you talking about this exact Kit? The Carlinkit? If so I wonder why a few had this problem but the majority did not? Do you have the ML system or Non ML?
Old 08-31-21, 10:13 PM
madfatter
10th Gear

Are you talking about this exact Kit? The Carlinkit? If so I wonder why a few had this problem but the majority did not? Do you have the ML system or Non ML?
non ML, carlinkit. I could live with the clunky joystick, could prob even learn to love it. But that buzz is a real killer. Made me feel better about the stock radio in the long term, though. 3D maps will be missed a tad.
Old 08-31-21, 10:18 PM
madfatter
10th Gear

If anyone is interested in giving it a shot, I’ll sell for what I paid. ~150 shipped. I wouldn’t trust it lol but given the hit or miss with these it could be a car based problem.
Old 09-01-21, 07:08 AM
twylie
Advanced

OK, had the car out a few times and some additional impressions. Music quality and phone quality are great. no issues with either and I haven't tried tweaking any of the settings in the carlinkit setting yet.

I have a very and I mean very faint alternator whine that is only audible when no music is playing. Even with music at a low volume, I wasn't able to notice it. Not sure if I'll try to isolate it before buttoning everything back up or live with it. I have music going 99% of the time unless I'm on the phone and if I want total silence, I can always flip over to the factory screens. I've ordered a small touchpad as the joystick is ok, but as previously mentioned, navigating left and right is the key. Trying to go up or down can be an exercise in frustration. I feel like it's worth the $300 to have the option. My big use case was on trips being able to have Waze on the main screen. This accomplishes that along with all the other base CarPlay stuff which is pretty decent and a nice update to a car that didn't originally have CarPlay as an option.
Old 09-01-21, 07:43 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by madfatter
non ML, carlinkit. I could live with the clunky joystick, could prob even learn to love it. But that buzz is a real killer. Made me feel better about the stock radio in the long term, though. 3D maps will be missed a tad.
I have the same issue with the buzzing but once I play music it's not that noticeable.

Other option is to turn off the audit system since carplay will still run on screen.

What have you tried so far to kill the buzzing? I know people have mentioned ground loop isolator as an option but not sure if that really works.
Old 09-01-21, 08:51 AM
madfatter
10th Gear

On close inspection, I found the smaller plug on the CAN cable had a bad wire. Gave the ground a solid tug and she popped right off. Guessing it was mostly the casing of the wire holding it together. I'd be willing to bet it works fine now, but I think I reassembled my dash for the last time last night before finding the bad wire. Kind of soured on the idea at this point.
Old 09-01-21, 09:19 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
I ordered two and will try it and report back. I don't have high hopes that it'll work since these things are supposed to be wired in series and carlinkit uses a harness that is not easy to tap.
Good news regarding the buzzing. One of the two ground loop isolators was able to cut the buzzing roughly in half (non-scientific, subjective opinion), which made a significant difference to me. I ordered two more hoping that they will work even better.
Old 09-01-21, 10:40 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Good news regarding the buzzing. One of the two ground loop isolators was able to cut the buzzing roughly in half (non-scientific, subjective opinion), which made a significant difference to me. I ordered two more hoping that they will work even better.
can you share pictures next time?

Quick Reply: Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319