GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-21, 12:48 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,358 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Are these Buzzing ones on the ML more or Non ML? 2013 - 2015, or 2016 - 2020?
Old 09-03-21, 07:45 AM
denary
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by twylie
My Carlinkit unit arrived and I got around to installing it this morning. No real issues other than me hooking up the wrong cable that taps the AUX input. Took me a bit to realize what I'd screwed up. Seems to be working well. I'm going to do some more testing before I button everything back up and find a place to store the main unit and extra wires.

I do seem to have a later firmware on mine.

just noticed that mine has HW Version : Lexus and not Lexus_1. I'm curious if Carlinkit has different hardware versions of this unit??
Old 09-03-21, 09:33 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by byungkuk
can you share pictures next time?

From left to right:
MA Audio Ground Loop Noise Isolator - 0% buzz reduction
BESIGN Ground Loop Noise Isolator - 30% buzz reduction
Kript HiFi Ground Loop Isolator - 32% buzz reduction
PAC SNI-1/3.5 3.5-mm Ground Loop Noise Isolator - 40% buzz reduction

100% subjective testing. I tested by increasing volume to 60 and plugging into the AUX port in the mid console. I have the ML system if that helps. I'm keeping the PAC SNI-1.
Old 09-04-21, 01:05 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13

From left to right:
MA Audio Ground Loop Noise Isolator - 0% buzz reduction
BESIGN Ground Loop Noise Isolator - 30% buzz reduction
Kript HiFi Ground Loop Isolator - 32% buzz reduction
PAC SNI-1/3.5 3.5-mm Ground Loop Noise Isolator - 40% buzz reduction

100% subjective testing. I tested by increasing volume to 60 and plugging into the AUX port in the mid console. I have the ML system if that helps. I'm keeping the PAC SNI-1.
I have zero buzzing or any weird noise with my Carlinkit setup. I did have to rewire the audio cable(taps behind the radio) similar to my beatsonic one.
Old 09-04-21, 06:14 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by peasodos
I have zero buzzing or any weird noise with my Carlinkit setup. I did have to rewire the audio cable(taps behind the radio) similar to my beatsonic one.
How did you rewire it? I bought insulated tape but returned it since I didn't want to take apart their harness.
Old 09-04-21, 07:16 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

How did you rewire it? I bought insulated tape but returned it since I didn't want to take apart their harness.
I don't remember but the wiring is the same as Beat-Sonic AVC39 Audio Video RCA Input Cable Harness, except you ignore the video wiring on that cable.

I had no audio before I rewired the cable and after audio works with no static, so not sure how helpful that is.
Old 09-08-21, 12:09 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by peasodos
I don't remember but the wiring is the same as Beat-Sonic AVC39 Audio Video RCA Input Cable Harness, except you ignore the video wiring on that cable.

I had no audio before I rewired the cable and after audio works with no static, so not sure how helpful that is.
Looks like we chatted about it back in Feb
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post10991867

Carlinkit uses 1 to 4 below so you cannot splice in the ground loop isolator without known which pins to tap. Not an easy project.

Old 09-08-21, 12:50 PM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

Looks like we chatted about it back in Feb
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post10991867

Carlinkit uses 1 to 4 below so you cannot splice in the ground loop isolator without known which pins to tap. Not an easy project.

The beatsonic cable (minus video) looks like the 1-3 one. I thought rewiring meant - re-addressing the pins into the plug adapter. Another alternative could be shielding the wires up tighter. Could the antenna also cause an issue? I put mine on top of the radio unit which seems like it would be fairly close to the harness cables... Maybe i need to re-position the adapter somewhere else.
Old 09-08-21, 04:27 PM
bearcav
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Just a note for those with the older-gen system, this kit (or its Aliexpress clones) will work. I have a 2013 GS with the 12in screen and successfully got it all working (split screen, good res) but it has 2 faults which I hope to solve, when going from the Carplay interface back to the original car it works, but if you want to get back into carplay it doesnt do it until the car re-starts. This could be the box or my phone (which is old, iPhone 6). The 2nd issue is the joy stick...its hard to use but with wireless carplay just do what you need to do on your phone and that problem is solved. Need to punch in a destination, just use the phone as the keypad and it'll pop up on the screen.

The item I bought was from a seller named Kolom on Aliexpress.

Once i get it figured out, I'll post details.

Last edited by bearcav; 09-08-21 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-13-21, 06:03 AM
glad76
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you listen to the stock radio/Sirius XM while displaying android auto on the display? or does all audio have to come from the selected input source?
Old 09-13-21, 07:25 AM
bearcav
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by glad76
Can you listen to the stock radio/Sirius XM while displaying android auto on the display? or does all audio have to come from the selected input source?
Yup, you can use carplay on the screen and listen to stock radio.
Old 09-17-21, 07:22 AM
katariat
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, new registrant but had been reading / lurking on the net and forums for the last week. I have a 2015 GS 350 with F-sport. Was interested in exploring the option to get carplay and narrowed down to carlink and roadtop...both seem to be just resellers of the same unit ...seems like just a rebadged from the same manufacturer. I am an iphone user so only care about carplay. Had some questions and would greatly appreciate your input/ help. carlink seems to have better support communication (whats app) but found both of them to be responsive on aliexpress chat. Roadtop has a ebay store so hoping to buy it from there just in case if i have to deal with returns.

1) Installation: I have seen the beatsonic video on GS and feel comfortable to try it on my own but if there are other videos that help, i would greatly appreciate sharing it. Any pics on where you put the unit...i have read that some put in the glove box or near the transmission area etc. but wasn't very clear on it
2) wiring instructions: Anything that i need to be aware off....got the roadtop manual yesterday night...not sure how updated it is or not. Also read a bit about the DIP switches etc

Best
Old 09-17-21, 09:43 AM
katariat
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is another seller on Aliexpress that is selling a similar unit for lot less than Carlink or Roadtop but seems very similar. Got this from the posts few pages back
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...c003e2rME&mp=1
Is the cost difference just the DHL shipping, which can be 60-80 usd vs the subsidized china mail. I would guess that Carlink and or Roadtop to be lot more accessible for support if needed
@DavidL you probably bought this, any input/ experiences. Thanks
Old 09-23-21, 07:55 AM
DavidL
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by katariat
there is another seller on Aliexpress that is selling a similar unit for lot less than Carlink or Roadtop but seems very similar. Got this from the posts few pages back
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...c003e2rME&mp=1
Is the cost difference just the DHL shipping, which can be 60-80 usd vs the subsidized china mail. I would guess that Carlink and or Roadtop to be lot more accessible for support if needed
@DavidL you probably bought this, any input/ experiences. Thanks
this is the one I purchased. My total cost was under $200. It’s installed in my 2016 GSF and the last remaining issue I need to investigate is the steering wheel control not working (ie. next/previous song). I added a front camera in the lower grill so I don’t hit parking stops or speed bumps. The support from this vendor sucks, very delayed and they don’t appear to have someone that can even google translate my questions. I found most of my answers on these forums. One curious fact is that mine reports the hardware as “Lexus2” and I haven’t seen any others like this. Overall the sound quality is great. I can easily switch between stock and CarPlay. My unit is fixed Natalie’s in the passenger footwell behind the carpet and you can notice the small bump. If anyone has insight on why the steering controls don’t work, please share. I do have two extra cables that came with the unit. B/c I have a 2016 with joystick control I know one should definitely not be installed. The other seems the be some type on CAN cable with what’s labeled on the connector as a reset. It didn’t fit so I didn’t force it in the head unit but suspect I need to try again.
Old 09-23-21, 07:57 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

I no longer having buzzing on my carlinkit unit... I did tinker with the audio setting a little bit (don't remember what exactly) and also updated my iPhone to iOS 14.8 then to iOS 15. YMMV

Quick Reply: Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319