GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-22, 09:32 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by OMGV8
All, just got the Carlinkit kit for my 2016 GSF with navigation, joystick and premium Audio system. Wired everything but getting the purple screen. Tried switch configurations: ON 235, 123, 124, 24, 23 but no good so far.

any tips? Long press of menu button takes me to carlinkit Home Screen but another long press makes the screen go purple.
First time seeing this. I have mine setup with 2016 head unit and screen. The other long press is suppose to take you back to the factory screen. Do you have the carplay running since the Carlinkit screen loads?
Old 02-18-22, 07:00 AM
OMGV8
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2016 gsf

Originally Posted by peasodos
First time seeing this. I have mine setup with 2016 head unit and screen. The other long press is suppose to take you back to the factory screen. Do you have the carplay running since the Carlinkit screen loads?
I do see the Carlinkit home screen with menu options such as Camera, USB, Youtube, Autolink, WireAuto, HDMI etc...I did not attempt to link my phone yet since I've been messing with cable connections and switch settings to get the purple screen to go away and see whatever normal display that should be visible. I rechecked all cable connections as I suspected there is bad connection between OEM connector and the Carlinkit unit but nothing helped me so far....Really want this resolved so I can assemble everything and drive the damn car.
Old 02-18-22, 07:07 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,114 Posts

I got that pink screen when I did not have the right 13 to 16 cable and mismatch of year unit to year unit. I posted a pic in some thread.

I thought you posted that same pink screen pink way back to. Indicating that the Display was not receiving the correct info format or something to the display?
Old 04-08-22, 05:47 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

Just started getting flickering screen all of a sudden.. restarted the car and it still kept flickering.. gonna have to reconnect the cables and see if that fixes it.
Old 04-14-22, 12:25 PM
LexusDrago
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Carlinkit is 'offset' upwards and original screen shows/flickers below

I installed Carlinkit on my 2017 GS350 with 12.3 Navigation and it's perfect except for the fact the the carlinkit/Carplay screen is 'offset' a few mm upwards and the original screen flickers through below.

I have pins 2 and 4 set to ON as instructed by the seller.

Also btw, where did you guys stow the decoder box? I couldn't figure out where to put mine so I put it directly behind the screen.

Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
conway9226 (09-27-22)
Old 04-14-22, 03:32 PM
LexusDrago
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Carlinkit Update:
Here is the latest Firmware:

Password: 4091

Download:
1. ISPBOOOT.BIN:
2. UPGRADE.BIN:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1En...W5I4BtbRaWyeTY

Update method:

Prepare an USB flash stick.

1. Format the USB stick to FAT32 ( Must be FAT32, not FAT or other formats )
2. Put the ISPBOOOT.BIN in attachment into USB disk root directory (do not copy folder into USB stick, just the file )
3. Insert the USB stick into the USB port of our product, not the car original USB port.
4. Enter the CarPlay system setting, select "system update" first and next step select "upgrade"

5. After the update of the system, then update the MCU. Delete the ISPBOOOT.BIN in the USB stick first.
6. Put the upgrade.bin in attachment into USB stick root directory (do not copy folder into USB stick, just the file )
3. Insert the USB stick into the USB port of our product, not the car original USB port.
4. Enter the CarPlay system setting, select "MCU update" first and next step select "upgrade"

Notice: Please do not turn off the power when upgrading.
And it will restart automatically after the upgrade. And then you can removed the USB stick.

When you copy the files into the USB stick, if the file names has automatically add a symbol "_" at the end, please delete the "_" first, thanks!
Seems like the drive link only has the UPGRADE.BIN file and not the ISPBOOOT.BIN. Can you provide the latter file as well?
Old 05-08-22, 06:49 PM
newLS460
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very late to this thread but just wanted to say it was a great read with much valuable info. For Carlinkit/RoadTop interfaces, may I ask if there is an option to configure the front camera to manually turn on via joystick button, for example, if you are pulling into a parking space and want to see if front of you?

Last edited by newLS460; 05-12-22 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Trying to fix link
Old 05-16-22, 08:51 AM
Salmanddj
8th Gear

Hello Everyone !!
I have a 2018 GS 350 AWD F SPORT with Mark Levinson.

I ordered this kit from ali express lol.

My kit came with USB cable and CAN cable also attached with a small thin wire.
Also had those green wires which i did not touch and unplug anything.
It also had an aux wire coming out of CAN cable which i did not plug anywhere.

During installation i daisy chained main big plug and 2nd last plug next to it behind the stereo.
The blue cable went behind the screen and daisy chained so only 3 connections.

When i started the car initially it showed lexus LOGO then pink screen and nothing was happening....
I switched the switches to 235 245 still nothing. After multiple attempts switched off and On again this time lexus logo comes on and Black screen but still nothing..
I was never able to get the device to work.. After struggling 30min i removed all the added harness which are so tight they feel like will break my original plugs.
Everything was put back to original and my system is finally turned On.. I did not use the extra cable which came with box as it says not needed.

What did i do wrong here as i was not even able to turn this thing on. Is this box defective ?
Old 05-18-22, 09:24 AM
Salmanddj
8th Gear

Originally Posted by OMGV8
All, just got the Carlinkit kit for my 2016 GSF with navigation, joystick and premium Audio system. Wired everything but getting the purple screen. Tried switch configurations: ON 235, 123, 124, 24, 23 but no good so far.

any tips? Long press of menu button takes me to carlinkit Home Screen but another long press makes the screen go purple.
Hey how did you fix this ? I had the same problem my system never started with all different switch settings. After removing CAN cable i plugged it back in the box and this time no more pink screen but just black.. System never started.. I ended up removing everything and put everything back to stock.. I also changed switch settings but my system never booted up.
2018 GS with joystick and mark Levinson .. Please let me know as i will be ordering another box this time from EBAY ..
Old 05-18-22, 03:13 PM
VenomF
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by joechan71
Finally fix it after some trial & error, DIP1 should also be turned ON along with DIP2 for touchpad model (NX) unlike what it says in the instructions Anyway, I'm very happy that this unit is now working

DIP1: No function
DIP2: OFF for **** operation car model , ON for touch pad and joystick operation car model
DIP3 and DIP4 : OFF OFF for 7 inch and 8 inch screen , ON OFF for 12.3 inch screen, OFF ON for 10.3 inch and new 12.3 inch (there is a clock in screen), ON ON for old 7 inch screen
DIP5: set the steering wheel button function .When it is found that the next button function and the mode button function are reversed (the mode button function is to switch back to the original car, the **** model and the joystick model need to be ON)
DIP7 and DIP8 :set the original car without a microphone, the box itself provides a microphone bias circuit, the original car has a microphone can not be ON.
DIP7: After-market car microphone, and the original car is not biased,set ON
Dial 8: When installing a non-original small signal microphone ,set ON
Originally Posted by Salmanddj
Hey how did you fix this ? I had the same problem my system never started with all different switch settings. After removing CAN cable i plugged it back in the box and this time no more pink screen but just black.. System never started.. I ended up removing everything and put everything back to stock.. I also changed switch settings but my system never booted up.
2018 GS with joystick and mark Levinson .. Please let me know as i will be ordering another box this time from EBAY ..
Use the DIP instructions above and double check your switch settings.
Additionally, make sure the connections are complete. I made a mistake when installing the blue connections that go behind the screen; it didn't click initially and I got a pink screen.
Old 05-19-22, 11:23 PM
OMGV8
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Salmanddj
i reached out to the vendor who provided a new cable. However, they purple screen returned. Tinkered a bit rechecked all connections and the issue resolved.

My phone keeps disconnecting from the CarPlay unit though and every time it reconnects I have to choose “Lexus GS” Bluetooth on my iphone’s audio setting. Otherwise my phone sends audio to “CarPlay” which doesn’t work since my car is set to play via BT and not Aux. Vendor suggested playing via Aux and unpairing/deleting BT on my phone and device however audio quality was poor despite me trying different sound settings while in Aux mode.
Old 05-26-22, 01:34 AM
DrunkFuX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey guys, was wondering which box people recommend between the Roadtop and Carlinkit... I actually have had a Roadtop box in my 2017 RX350 for about a year now... It works ok... Far from perfect but better than stock Lexus so deal with the quirks.
I Just bought a 2018 GS and was wondering if people recommend one over the other. I know both are essentially the same china hardware... But I see the community.here frequently sharing the Carlinkit firmware updates, never seen the Roadtop being shared. Not sure if they are interchangeable although certainly seem very very similar, even the security codes etc.
I will say tho that Roadtop has been very communicative on Whatsapp, but the language barrier does make it tough sometimes, which I assume will be the same with any manufacturer from China.

Roadtop is readily available everywhere but I can't find a Carlinkit which is shipping to US if anyone has a link and recommends that more.
Old 06-04-22, 05:35 PM
DrunkFuX
Rookie

Just sending in a follow up to anyone who may stumble on this thread. I went ahead and bought the Roadtop device since I had already been speaking to them via WhatsApp.
Installed it today and my god was it easier to install on my GS than my RX.

I have a 2018 Gs350, have the latest firmware installed on the Lexus OS, was done a week ago. From the Android auto box, only needed to install the blue cable that goes into the screen... And the main power harness cables into the back of the stereo. Nothing else, and it worked perfectly with the Joystick.
I did go ahead and add the wireless antenna later for better range and the USB cables for updates, but everything works great out of the box, no pink screens or anything...
I think the switches I used are 2,4,5.
The following 2 users liked this post by DrunkFuX:
Im2bz2p345 (06-04-22), ISFerr (06-14-22)
Old 06-04-22, 07:16 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Good to hear this. Is the Roadtop just another same thing version as the Carlinkit? A Clone?
Old 06-04-22, 09:30 PM
DrunkFuX
Rookie

Originally Posted by jgscott
Good to hear this. Is the Roadtop just another same thing version as the Carlinkit? A Clone?
Yea they're all pretty much the same, but who knows what came first, the chicken or the egg ;PI'm not sure if the software updates are compatible either...

Quick Reply: Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319