GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

RWD experience in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-19, 09:23 AM
fugee
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RWD experience in cold weather

I've scoured the forum about owner experiences with GS F-SPORT RWD in rain and cold weather areas. Some of the threads are older and focused on other related topics so thought I would create this thread to get additional input.

What I've read is that as long as you have good tires (winter preferably) and drive sensibly, that RWD is fine esp with the traction control features of the GS.

I'm considering buying a RWD F-Sport and live in an area where the winter is generally mild in 40s and rainy. I also have an AWD SUV for the snow/ice so wouldn't be using the GS during those times.
I assume I would be fine but definitely would appreciate the real world experience of GS RWD owners.
Old 10-08-19, 09:59 AM
bumada
Driver

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by fugee
I've scoured the forum about owner experiences with GS F-SPORT RWD in rain and cold weather areas. Some of the threads are older and focused on other related topics so thought I would create this thread to get additional input.

What I've read is that as long as you have good tires (winter preferably) and drive sensibly, that RWD is fine esp with the traction control features of the GS.

I'm considering buying a RWD F-Sport and live in an area where the winter is generally mild in 40s and rainy. I also have an AWD SUV for the snow/ice so wouldn't be using the GS during those times.
I assume I would be fine but definitely would appreciate the real world experience of GS RWD owners.
You'll be fine. This car doesn't behave like a sports car with RWD. Proper tires and attentive driving will get you around.
The following 2 users liked this post by bumada:
fugee (10-08-19), RichardB23 (10-08-19)
Old 10-08-19, 10:29 AM
RichardB23
Pole Position

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

As long as you're not deep in the throttle you'll be ok. I've driven the car at 90mph in heavy rain with no issue but that was gradual acceleration and slowing down when needed i.e. crowded traffic or puddle spots n the road.
The following users liked this post:
fugee (10-08-19)
Old 10-08-19, 10:31 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

I do believe you'll be fine. I went with AWD because we take the car up to the mountains and I do like the extra grip in the rain, but for me, it's a luxury, not a necessity.
fugee (10-08-19)
Old 10-08-19, 10:38 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

I used to own a RWD GS430. It was not great in snow or icy conditions. I used to run All-Seasons but the best setup would have been getting a winter tire set up with dedicated winter tires, potentially tires that make a smaller contact path and putting some weight in the trunk. I was lucky that I didn't really NEED to commute during bad weather conditions.

Others have had better experiences but I personally wouldn't recommend a RWD vehicle to anyone that sees decent amounts of snow/icy conditions. BUT, if you already have an AWD SUV and your climate is fairly mild where you live, a set of good All Seasons will do the trick on a RWD GS.

@fugee Are you seeing a better deal on a RWD GS or are there no AWD GS's around your area?
jonathancl (10-08-19)
Old 10-08-19, 10:52 AM
ChronoR
Pole Position

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

I live in Rainy Vancouver and the GS450h holds perfect in the rain. Running Continental DWS06 tires. You'd have to be using bad (for rain) tires or doing something very silly (that would cause problems even with AWD) to throw a GS off track in mere rain.
The following 2 users liked this post by ChronoR:
fugee (10-08-19), Im2bz2p345 (10-08-19)
Old 10-08-19, 11:34 AM
fugee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AJLex19
I used to own a RWD GS430. It was not great in snow or icy conditions. I used to run All-Seasons but the best setup would have been getting a winter tire set up with dedicated winter tires, potentially tires that make a smaller contact path and putting some weight in the trunk. I was lucky that I didn't really NEED to commute during bad weather conditions.

Others have had better experiences but I personally wouldn't recommend a RWD vehicle to anyone that sees decent amounts of snow/icy conditions. BUT, if you already have an AWD SUV and your climate is fairly mild where you live, a set of good All Seasons will do the trick on a RWD GS.

@fugee Are you seeing a better deal on a RWD GS or are there no AWD GS's around your area?
There's not much 16+ AWD GS F sport in my area that meets what I'm looking for in terms of color, features and pricing. In my area (Seattle), there's probably about avg 2 weeks on (at most) where we might have snow or icy conditions. Definitely not like the Northeast winters. Or maybe i should just sit tight and wait for AWD deal.

Last edited by fugee; 10-08-19 at 11:51 AM. Reason: edit
Old 10-08-19, 02:43 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 206 Posts

I drove my 15' FSport thru a very heavy rain going thru Mt. Shasta and to Flagstaff Arizona in November cold weather and had no issues. I doubt snow will be much of an issue given good tires. Here's a few YT videos of 4GSes in the snow:

Old 10-08-19, 03:12 PM
fugee
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the tips and videos. in the seattle area, we have to deal with steep hills when it snows. And usually when it snows, the city and surrounding areas shut down.
Old 10-08-19, 03:55 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 206 Posts

yeaaaahhh, there are no hills in these videos; you might want to get the AWD :/

P.S here's a detailed review of the 4GS AWD system, it has more in common with a AWD truck than a "AWD" car lol; good on Lexus for using a quality system

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...e-germans.html
signdetres (10-08-19)
Old 10-08-19, 04:14 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 550 Likes on 400 Posts

I'm 55 and live in the rust belt in Illinois. I specifically wanted RWD when I bought my 18 new. I grew up driving RWD cars and really never had an issue with it. I also have a 14 RX and don't even know if the AWD works because I've never tried it.
Old 10-08-19, 04:43 PM
ChronoR
Pole Position

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

If you have steep unplowed hills that you have to stop in the middle of, then AWD + snow tires may be necessary (and sometimes inadequate even then).

I've dealt with medium hills just fine in my RWD but there are limits when you don't have the option to keep your car in motion.
Old 10-09-19, 06:01 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

What's the ratio on the AWD, in terms of back to front spin, by default? 70/30? Seems like hitting the "Snow" button engages 50/50 along with starting the car in 2nd gear instead of 1st.
Old 10-09-19, 06:45 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
What's the ratio on the AWD, in terms of back to front spin, by default? 70/30? Seems like hitting the "Snow" button engages 50/50 along with starting the car in 2nd gear instead of 1st.
Correct, default is 70% rear, 30% front. with the ability to go 50/50 as required. Not sure about the 8 speed/RWD models, but in both my 15 and my 19 AWD models, snow mode still starts in 1st gear.
Old 10-09-19, 06:52 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

I just have to chuckle a little with you all talking about snow and RWD, where in Florida, I am still waiting to use the heated seats and steering wheel. Mid to high 80's over the next 10 days, with the lows in the high 60's. I do not think I will have to worry about ice and snow with my GS 450h. Not making fun of anyone here having to deal with snow, just giving an alternate perspective of what I am waiting for in using the GS.

Quick Reply: RWD experience in cold weather