GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS Lane Centering vs. ES Lane Tracing

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-19, 09:16 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts
Cool GS Lane Centering vs. ES Lane Tracing

So what's the difference? Is the Lane Tracing better than Lane Centering or are they pretty much the same? Does it handle better around bends?
Old 10-17-19, 10:11 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

Lane Tracing is a suite of systems that all work together when Dynamic Radar Cruise Control is active. It includes Lane Departure Alert, Steering Assist, and Lane Centering (all of which the GS has). It has the added benefit of being able to steer by following the car in front when no lane lines are present whereas the GS systems only function when lane lines are present. This is really the biggest difference between the systems.

Lane Centering in the GS works without the need for DRCC to be active. Since the Lane Tracing system also has Lane Centering, I'd imagine it also works without DRCC being active.

I'd imagine it works better at steering around corners since it's a newer system but I haven't tested it to determine that. The GS does a pretty decent job at steering itself when DRCC is active and Steering Assist is actively steering, IMO, but has the added benefit of not shutting off if you keep your hands off the wheel. It'll keep beeping non-stop until you put your hands back on the wheel but will not disengage whereas the newer systems, like in the ES, will disengage after a certain number of seconds of not having your hands on the wheel.
Old 10-17-19, 10:16 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Lane Tracing is a suite of systems that all work together when Dynamic Radar Cruise Control is active. It includes Lane Departure Alert, Steering Assist, and Lane Centering (all of which the GS has). It has the added benefit of being able to steer by following the car in front when no lane lines are present whereas the GS systems only function when lane lines are present. This is really the biggest difference between the systems.

Lane Centering in the GS works without the need for DRCC to be active. Since the Lane Tracing system also has Lane Centering, I'd imagine it also works without DRCC being active.

I'd imagine it works better at steering around corners since it's a newer system but I haven't tested it to determine that. The GS does a pretty decent job at steering itself when DRCC is active and Steering Assist is actively steering, IMO, but has the added benefit of not shutting off if you keep your hands off the wheel. It'll keep beeping non-stop until you put your hands back on the wheel but will not disengage whereas the newer systems, like in the ES, will disengage after a certain number of seconds of not having your hands on the wheel.
My lane centering only works when I am using DRCC. Steering assist works all of the time, but not my lane centering.
Old 10-17-19, 10:44 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
My lane centering only works when I am using DRCC. Steering assist works all of the time, but not my lane centering.
When DRCC is active and the car is actively steering, this is Steering Assist. Lane Centering is active when the Lane Keep Assist system is active but DRCC is not engaged (single press of the Lane Keep button on the steering wheel). This is very subtle, you shouldn't really notice it steering with you but you should notice the steering wheel stiffen and not want to stray off-course, whereas Steering Assist when DRCC is active is quite obvious and active.

The only other time Steering Assist is active is if you have Lane Keep Assist turned on and begin to wander over the lane line. When it suddenly steers to put you back/keep you in your lane, this is Steering Assist. This is the "glow" that surrounds the lane lines on the Driver Assist screen in the instrument cluster.
Old 10-17-19, 11:10 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
When DRCC is active and the car is actively steering, this is Steering Assist. Lane Centering is active when the Lane Keep Assist system is active but DRCC is not engaged (single press of the Lane Keep button on the steering wheel). This is very subtle, you shouldn't really notice it steering with you but you should notice the steering wheel stiffen and not want to stray off-course, whereas Steering Assist when DRCC is active is quite obvious and active.

The only other time Steering Assist is active is if you have Lane Keep Assist turned on and begin to wander over the lane line. When it suddenly steers to put you back/keep you in your lane, this is Steering Assist. This is the "glow" that surrounds the lane lines on the Driver Assist screen in the instrument cluster.
I think you have Lane Centering and Steering Assist backwards.

From the manual:

◆ Lane centering function

This function is linked with radar cruise control and provides the required assistance by operating the steering wheel to keep the vehicle in its current lane.
When radar cruise control is not operating, the lane centering function does not operate.

● Lane centering function
This function operates when all of the following conditions are met.
• LKA is turned on.
• Setting for “Steering Assist” and “Lane Center” in of the multi-information display are set to “On”. (P. 106, 114)
• System recognizes white (yellow) lines.
Dynamic radar cruise control with full-speed range is operating.
• Width of traffic lane is approximately 8.2 to 13.5 ft. (2.5 to 4.1 m).
• Turn signal lever is not operated.
• Vehicle is driven on a straight road or around a gentle curve with a radius of more than approximately 656 ft. (200 m).
• No system malfunctions are detected. (P. 264)
• Vehicle does not accelerate or decelerate by a certain amount or more.
• Steering wheel is not operated with a steering force level suitable for changing lanes.
• ABS, VSC, TRAC and PCS (Pre-Collision System) are not operating.
• TRAC or VSC is not turned off.
• GS F: Hands off steering wheel alert is not displayed. (P. 263)
• Steering assist function is not operating.
◆ Steering assist function

When the system determines that the vehicle might depart from its lane, the system provides assistance as necessary by operating the steering wheel in small amounts for a short period of time to keep the vehicle in its lane.

Last edited by JDR76; 10-17-19 at 11:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LexinOnEm (10-31-19)
Old 10-17-19, 02:41 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

So with the Lane Tracing, when the car in front of us go off a cliff, we go too?

And yea, when my cruise control is off the only thing active is the Lane Keep Assist, that is when u hit the lines and the car corrects it back and vibrates the steering wheel but it's not the lane centering one. If I have the cruise control on, the lane centering is actively steering my car but I found that this works mostly on a freeway and not on a city streets, don't know why even with clearly visible lines.
Old 10-18-19, 07:42 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
So with the Lane Tracing, when the car in front of us go off a cliff, we go too?

And yea, when my cruise control is off the only thing active is the Lane Keep Assist, that is when u hit the lines and the car corrects it back and vibrates the steering wheel but it's not the lane centering one. If I have the cruise control on, the lane centering is actively steering my car but I found that this works mostly on a freeway and not on a city streets, don't know why even with clearly visible lines.
Interesting... This is the only thing I miss about my ES. It had these features and my '15 GS does not.
Old 10-19-19, 08:04 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

from my limited testing, the ES system will make sure you're engaged or else it'll deactivate. the GS just keeps beeping at you. I have found our system or my system works best when following someone in eco mode. even without following someone I've made a 2 hour drive with it driving itself on the hwy
Old 10-19-19, 08:40 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

So ours just beeps but won't deactivate? That's nice.
Old 10-19-19, 08:55 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
So ours just beeps but won't deactivate? That's nice.
Correct, make use of the mark Levinson system to blast the tunes and drown out the beeping lol
Old 10-23-19, 07:42 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by baconRx
from my limited testing, the ES system will make sure you're engaged or else it'll deactivate. the GS just keeps beeping at you. I have found our system or my system works best when following someone in eco mode. even without following someone I've made a 2 hour drive with it driving itself on the hwy
Yup, just tested this and I let it beep and it still controls the car. Just turn up the ML. Damn I love this car!
The following 2 users liked this post by ItzFilyO:
Im2bz2p345 (10-26-19), NickMayer (10-25-19)
Old 10-31-19, 10:44 AM
LexinOnEm
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I think you have Lane Centering and Steering Assist backwards.

From the manual:

correcto love mines on my 2013 awd gs350. This thing is cool. when activated you see 2 white lines in the center. when you start to take a slight bend it beeps and turn orange and you can see the steering wheel slightly turning lol. If its too much of a curve then it beeps and cancel. but overall i love it. but as stated it only works when drcc and lka is activated.

Last edited by LexinOnEm; 11-01-19 at 07:23 AM. Reason: editing