GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is my sub blown?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-19, 08:40 AM
DrGrip
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is my sub blown?

Ive never really been in to music, but I just recently started getting in to it. I have a 2014 GS350 with out Mark Levinson. Songs with mild bass you can't notice it that much because its coming from the trunk, but heavy bass songs, its pretty bad. I would like to know if its a damaged sub, or is there something else rattling around in the lining of my trunk? I tried a search, but I did not see any forms about removing the fabric lining in the truck surrounding the sub.
I posted a video on youtube with the sound of the rattle. Its definitely coming directly from the sub area. I tried putting pressure all around my trunk to try and stop it, but it still continued. If anyone knows of a tutorial about removing the trunk fabric lining, I would appreciate it!
Old 10-18-19, 09:47 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Check all your fuses first.
The following users liked this post:
DrGrip (10-18-19)
Old 10-18-19, 11:47 AM
DrGrip
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by peasodos
Check all your fuses first.
Thanks for the reply. I just looked at the diagram for the fuse boxes. None of them have one just for the sub. I saw 2 for the audio. Also, I saw the the fuse box in the engin bay says it has 3 spare fuses. Are those the same kind that I can test the in the cabin fuse box?
I would also like to know how to pull off that trunk liner anyway. I want to put some sound deadening in there.
Old 10-18-19, 12:12 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Hard to tell from the video. A physical inspection would make it clear, but that requires removing the rear deck, which requires removing the back seat.

My 2GS sub surround failed after about ten years, fixed it with a subwoofer repair kit on ebay for $25.
DrGrip (10-18-19)
Old 10-18-19, 12:20 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Our sub is not that powerful. So if your bass is on high and volume is also on high, then this is similar to mine. I always have to turn the bass to mid if I want to listen in high volume.

BTW, does anyone know if there is a direct replacement for our sub that's more powerful without having to do a separate wiring?
The following 2 users liked this post by swat1727:
DrGrip (10-18-19), jonathancl (10-18-19)
Old 10-18-19, 12:30 PM
DrGrip
Driver School Candidate

I have the volume at 35, and the bass set 2 notches above center. True it's not that powerful, but there has to be something causing the rattling. It soulds like something is hitting the metal fram.
I too would also like to know if you can replace the sub with another with out doing anything to the amp.

Last edited by DrGrip; 10-18-19 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-18-19, 05:16 PM
jplumlee
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like the voice coil is bottoming out. Usually that because of too much bass freq. and not enough power going to the speaker. That system is not designed to handle anywhere near that much bass.

Last edited by jplumlee; 10-18-19 at 05:18 PM. Reason: addition
DrGrip (10-18-19)
Old 10-18-19, 05:38 PM
anish3232
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGrip
Ive never really been in to music, but I just recently started getting in to it. I have a 2014 GS350 with out Mark Levinson. Songs with mild bass you can't notice it that much because its coming from the trunk, but heavy bass songs, its pretty bad. I would like to know if its a damaged sub, or is there something else rattling around in the lining of my trunk? I tried a search, but I did not see any forms about removing the fabric lining in the truck surrounding the sub.
I posted a video on youtube with the sound of the rattle. Its definitely coming directly from the sub area. I tried putting pressure all around my trunk to try and stop it, but it still continued. If anyone knows of a tutorial about removing the trunk fabric lining, I would appreciate it!
https://youtu.be/jwRYS5AnxVw
you may have the same issue as this guy. He had some metal stuck to the inside of the sub magnet.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...inson-sub.html
DrGrip (10-18-19)
Old 10-18-19, 06:36 PM
jplumlee
Driver School Candidate

Default that's strange

Does it rattle at "normal" bass (up the middle on the settings) levels or only when you really crank it up with music that has deep bass? Have you tried listening to other genre's at different levels to see if its still audible? Though unlikely, there could definitely be something in there. I'm still leaning more towards too much bass in a short enclosure and not really enough clean power. or its just worn out and too floppy. Sub's can get too loose with prolonged use, summer heat, and low power.

Originally Posted by anish3232
you may have the same issue as this guy. He had some metal stuck to the inside of the sub magnet.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...inson-sub.html
DrGrip (10-18-19)
Old 10-18-19, 07:02 PM
DrGrip
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replys and the link to removing the back seat. I turned the bass to center, and when the volume is below 20, the vibration is not present. When I start to go higher its becomes more noticeable. I will try and take it apart some time with in the next week to see if I can find anything.

Another question. I know sub instilations have been beaten to death here, but has anyone done a new amp and a more powerful free air sub in the factory position? When ever I hear friends subs in the trunk, it's just sounds blocked and muffled.