GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

DIY brake job

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-19, 02:48 PM
terrryz
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
If it was me I would dump the rotors at the same time.

The transactional costs of having to go back and do the rotors later are stupid, just get it all done at once and then not have to worry about anything for another 40K or whatever.

-Mike
Four rotors are another 400 bucks, doing the pads only are really easy, especially on the front.

Plus I don't really know when is the right time to change the rotors, no one has provided a scientific measure like the minimum thickness.
Old 11-01-19, 01:41 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by terrryz
Four rotors are another 400 bucks, doing the pads only are really easy, especially on the front.

Plus I don't really know when is the right time to change the rotors, no one has provided a scientific measure like the minimum thickness.
Unless you have a significant lip on the edge of the rotor I'd say don't touch them. The front brakes do most of the braking so at the most if there is a significant lip you would only have to do the front.

I'm almost 100k miles on oem rotors and no significant lip on the rotors, zero issues with the brakes.

This is a rotor that should be replaced, see the lip on it: If the thickness of the rotor is still in spec, some shops will just grind the lip off the rotor. I would ask the dealer for their rotor thickness threshold, but at your low miles this should not be an issue at all.

Old 11-01-19, 01:44 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Hmmmm....not sure on this buddy, A lot of us drive spirited, perhaps like idiots. My OEM rotors were badly warped and I swapped them at 70k. I dont think the typical gs350 driver on this forum babies the brakes
Well if they are warped then they defiantly have to be replaced, OP doesn't have that issue. Even with your spirited driving you had to change them at 70k, OP is only in the 40k range.
Old 11-01-19, 08:21 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by marjenmill
I have a 2015 GS350 non-f sport too. Replacing the front brake pads is SUPER easy. Takes more time to jack up the car and take off the tire than it does to change the pads. google a youtube video on it. There is a long rod held in place with a pin. Pull the pin, tap out the rod, remove a metal bracket, remove the pads, put the shims from the old pads to the new ones (put a little anti-squeal gel between them), push back the calipers (I used a C clamp, but pliers would work too), put in the new pads and reverse the uninstall.

I replaced my pads with OEM even though they only lasted 38,000 miles. Didn't want the potential hassle of squeals. Did not turn or replace the rotor...no need to.

I have pads to replace the back set, but they don't need it yet.
Shouldn't have to worry about OEM pads on Non F sports. It's been over a month on Akebono ceramic performance pads and I've had no issues at all.

I did go with OEM rotors, and I have no clue where the 400 number someone quoted came from, though maybe it is more expensive for F sport? Dunno. I paid 140 (total) for front rotors.

I replaced mine at 68k, though I only had car 20k miles at the time. Pads were new when I got the car, though it had been sitting for a year. No clue if that contributed. I will say, my rotors were warped *bad*. Like seizure level every time I braked going over 35. But that always happens to me, so I get it's my driving and not a judgement on the car, lol
Old 11-03-19, 06:33 AM
Dom87SS
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 84 Posts

I had and still have the slight squeal in the morning on occasion but it's gone after one or two applications of the brake. It's gone before I'm at the end of my street I live on. If it's a constant squeal you need to ditch those pads.

I am opposite of everyone else here and didn't go with OEM parts. It was way cheaper and they feel much better. I have the powerstop Z23 kit with drilled rotor and ceramic pads. It was $285 for everything when I got it on Amazon. It's now $400 which to me is still a good deal. You're paying $100 a corner basically for a rotor and a pad set. I replaced the OEM stuff at 98k because the rotor were getting warped. I have put about 11k miles on them since and if it needs them again I will certainly replace them with the same thing.
Old 11-25-19, 08:17 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dom87SS
I had and still have the slight squeal in the morning on occasion but it's gone after one or two applications of the brake. It's gone before I'm at the end of my street I live on. If it's a constant squeal you need to ditch those pads.

I am opposite of everyone else here and didn't go with OEM parts. It was way cheaper and they feel much better. I have the powerstop Z23 kit with drilled rotor and ceramic pads. It was $285 for everything when I got it on Amazon. It's now $400 which to me is still a good deal. You're paying $100 a corner basically for a rotor and a pad set. I replaced the OEM stuff at 98k because the rotor were getting warped. I have put about 11k miles on them since and if it needs them again I will certainly replace them with the same thing.
Yes but it still squeal/squeaks like a cheap car. I wouldn't be able to put up with that even if it's to the end of the street. I'm sure when the weather gets colder it's only going to get worse since it will take longer for the pad/rotor to warm up.
Old 11-25-19, 08:28 AM
Dom87SS
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Yes but it still squeal/squeaks like a cheap car. I wouldn't be able to put up with that even if it's to the end of the street. I'm sure when the weather gets colder it's only going to get worse since it will take longer for the pad/rotor to warm up.
It's usually gone before I hit the street and it's only when I apply the brake it's not happening as it's rolling. So I pump the brakes maybe two or three times and it's gone.
Also just because you're putting on factory items isn't going to guarantee it's not going to do the same exact thing. If you wash your car in the rotor rusts in that mean time it's going to squeal until the rust is knocked off. Happens just about every time I wash mine. Everyone is entitled to do whatever they want obviously I'm just giving you a heads up more money doesn't always mean better results.
Old 11-25-19, 08:34 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dom87SS
It's usually gone before I hit the street and it's only when I apply the brake it's not happening as it's rolling. So I pump the brakes maybe two or three times and it's gone.
Also just because you're putting on factory items isn't going to guarantee it's not going to do the same exact thing. If you wash your car in the rotor rusts in that mean time it's going to squeal until the rust is knocked off. Happens just about every time I wash mine. Everyone is entitled to do whatever they want obviously I'm just giving you a heads up more money doesn't always mean better results.
Rust from wet rotors is one thing, but squeak everyday after starting the car is totally different. My car is always parked outside, doesn't squeak at all. Even if there is rust on the rotor it's more like the pad scraping the rust off and maybe one squeak and it's gone. We had a couple members who has this same squeaking issue with aftermarket pads/rotor and going back to oem resolved the issue.