DIY brake job

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-19, 09:49 AM
terrryz
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default DIY brake job

My car is 2015 GS350 non-F Sport.

The car starts to have squeaking noise during cold start when I back it out from driveway. I am thinking of replace all the pads or even the rotors myself. I have all the tools and have done similar stuff on my previous car.

I have checked the user manual, it does not say the minimum thickness for both front and rear rotors. Does anyone know the minimum thickness for the rotors?

The manual does say about the minimum thickness (about 1mm) for the pads, is there any easy way of inspecting the pad thickness without taking it out?

Also can anyone recommend pads and rotors? Should I just get OEM parts from lexuspartsnow? I would prefer a little stronger initial bite.

Much appreciated
Old 10-23-19, 10:05 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 206 Posts

Get OEM parts , including the shim kit, and if you are going to do it yourself get a techstream 3 day membership.
Old 10-23-19, 10:23 AM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by bob256k
Get OEM parts , including the shim kit, and if you are going to do it yourself get a techstream 3 day membership.
Why do you need tech stream for brakes?
Old 10-23-19, 10:36 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

@terrryz i'd go OEM since its not much cheaper aftermarket. Shop around and look at SSL-parts.com and MyLParts.com to see who has the best prices OEM prices on brakes/rotors. Helpful thread on pad thickness: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-question.html
The following 3 users liked this post by AJLex19:
jonathancl (10-23-19), NickMayer (10-23-19), terrryz (10-23-19)
Old 10-23-19, 11:11 AM
Zsikd
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I’d go with OEM. I got my full set of rotors + pads for my AWD GS from Bell Lexus off eBay for $500 with shipping... no problems at all!
Old 10-23-19, 12:14 PM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by terrryz
My car is 2015 GS350 non-F Sport.

The car starts to have squeaking noise during cold start when I back it out from driveway. I am thinking of replace all the pads or even the rotors myself. I have all the tools and have done similar stuff on my previous car.

I have checked the user manual, it does not say the minimum thickness for both front and rear rotors. Does anyone know the minimum thickness for the rotors?

The manual does say about the minimum thickness (about 1mm) for the pads, is there any easy way of inspecting the pad thickness without taking it out?

Also can anyone recommend pads and rotors? Should I just get OEM parts from lexuspartsnow? I would prefer a little stronger initial bite.

Much appreciated
Also have a '15 non F-sport
I did front brakes and rotors and bought after market ceramic pads (akebono performance for $60) from amazon, and OEM rotors from lexusparts. Spent $200 total, then paid a guy to come change them for me. All in all I paid $350. More than worth it.
Old 10-23-19, 12:51 PM
terrryz
Driver School Candidate

After looking at some other threads, it appears that the pads would normally start at 11mm (6/32 inch) when new and need replacement at about 6mm (2/32 - 3/32 inch).
However, I still have not found such info on the rotor.

The videos on youtube makes believe this is a rather straightforwrad job, maybe 30min on each axle.
Old 10-23-19, 01:07 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by bob256k
You don't need a TIS membership, the brake pads are so easy to change on this car, just pins hold it in the front and take out one bolt in the rear to swing the caliper out the way to remove rears.

Also you don't need to change the rotor unless you have a significantly noticeable lip on the edge. My last car 232k miles I changed the front rotor once and that wasn't till over 100k miles. Unless your tracking the car or driving/breaking like an idiot on the street your rotors don't have to be changed every pad change under 100k.

Also 2 bolts on the back side hold the entire caliper assembly on, you would take that off to remove the rotor. Toyota/Honda have the notorious rotor screws that usually seize, If you don't take it off correctly you will strip the head and end up having to drill it out or at least the head off.

Also the pads have a squeaker on the side if the pads are worn close to this it's time to change them. There is also a tool on amazon to easily push back the pistons on the front rotors.

Last edited by peasodos; 10-23-19 at 01:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by peasodos:
NickMayer (10-25-19), terrryz (10-24-19)
Old 10-23-19, 01:58 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Techstream might be for bleeding the brakes, which you might as well do while you are replacing the pads/rotors.

Yes, you can do it without, but the Techstream exercises the ABS actuators to refresh the fluid there as well, it's not a must but I do it.

Whatever you do, make sure to top up the reservoir after doing each wheel.
Old 10-23-19, 02:56 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 206 Posts

Fair enough you probably wont need the manual, but a day pass is like $15, depends on what you want.
Old 10-24-19, 01:19 PM
terrryz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will just change the pads and not worry about the rotor. My car is only at 46k miles.
The following 2 users liked this post by terrryz:
jonathancl (10-24-19), NickMayer (10-25-19)
Old 10-30-19, 09:28 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos

Also you don't need to change the rotor unless you have a significantly noticeable lip on the edge. My last car 232k miles I changed the front rotor once and that wasn't till over 100k miles. Unless your tracking the car or driving/breaking like an idiot on the street your rotors don't have to be changed every pad change under 100k.

Hmmmm....not sure on this buddy, A lot of us drive spirited, perhaps like idiots. My OEM rotors were badly warped and I swapped them at 70k. I dont think the typical gs350 driver on this forum babies the brakes
Old 10-31-19, 01:17 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

Much appreciated
I believe it's 30mm from the factory and 27mm when it's time to replace it.
Old 10-31-19, 12:49 PM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Received 166 Likes on 74 Posts

I have a 2015 GS350 non-f sport too. Replacing the front brake pads is SUPER easy. Takes more time to jack up the car and take off the tire than it does to change the pads. google a youtube video on it. There is a long rod held in place with a pin. Pull the pin, tap out the rod, remove a metal bracket, remove the pads, put the shims from the old pads to the new ones (put a little anti-squeal gel between them), push back the calipers (I used a C clamp, but pliers would work too), put in the new pads and reverse the uninstall.

I replaced my pads with OEM even though they only lasted 38,000 miles. Didn't want the potential hassle of squeals. Did not turn or replace the rotor...no need to.

I have pads to replace the back set, but they don't need it yet.
Old 10-31-19, 01:02 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will just change the pads and not worry about the rotor. My car is only at 46k miles.
If it was me I would dump the rotors at the same time.

The transactional costs of having to go back and do the rotors later are stupid, just get it all done at once and then not have to worry about anything for another 40K or whatever.

-Mike

Quick Reply: DIY brake job